Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake bleeding problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake bleeding problem

I am hoping if someone could help me with a brake bleeding problem. I was bleeding my brakes using the motive power bleeder and my right rear and left front calipers will not bleed. I opened up the valve and I saw some fluids making it way through the tube and into the bottle but after a few moments, it stopped flowing. Only happened on the calipers I mentioned above. The other two calipers were bleeding fine. Motive bleeder is set at 15psi.

Someone said that the Evo brake system is design based on "cross calipers". What this mean is that cross calipers(calipers across diagonally from each other) are on the same brake circuit for safety. So if there is an issue with both left front and right rear calipers, it may be a clogged in the ABS or wherever it gets distributed.

If this is the case, I'm trying to formulate ideas on what could cause the clog. I don't want to make a dumb remark but what could cause a clog in the brake system? When I think of a clog, I think of something physically like rocks, dirt, etc. But I don't think I have gotten anything into the brake system. Heck, there's a mesh filter in the brake reservoir. My other idea is that there is a very very large air bubble that is being stubborn to move. I think this is a silly idea but kind of make sense to me. For example, if you have a ball that is filled with air and try to push it into a pool of water, the ball will resist going into the water. So the same idea can be made in this situation if there is a huge air bubble that is big enough that will resist moving in any direction. I may need something with more pressure to pump the fluid out along with the air bubble. I don't think 15psi is enough. May have to use the brake pedal and pump the clog out of the system. Feel free to correct me as I'm trying to figure out if I have a small problem or a large problem on my hands

So, to summarize my problem. Cross calipers(left front and right rear) will not bleed. Motive bleeder is pressurized at 15psi. Other calipers are fine. The other option I could try is a 2 man bleeding procedure which I will try when I find the time.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:55 PM

did you try pumping the brakes and bleeding it that way?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by JPooah
did you try pumping the brakes and bleeding it that way?
Did you mean have the motive bleeder attached while pressurized and pump the brakes? If so, I have not. I was worried that it may cause problems. Is it safe to do use that method?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your calipers probably have some debris in the bleeders. top off your rservoir, make sure the power bleeder is off, completely remove the bleeder screw and use a pick to clean it out.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
your calipers probably have some debris in the bleeders. top off your rservoir, make sure the power bleeder is off, completely remove the bleeder screw and use a pick to clean it out.
Good advice.....If you modulator is already 'wet' meaning no air before or in the modulator, than running the pump is not necessary. But this also wouldn't plug your system.

Take the bleeders out one at a time and see if fluid will come out of the inboard/outboard bank... this should confirm if there is a plug in your system...If there is, you should also check the cross over pipe connecting the banks together.

Also nothing beats a good o'l fashion 2 person bleed.