Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline Roll Center Adjust carnage.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteline jim
G’day everyone,

black95tt, understand your concern and I wouldn’t be happy about driving without a fresh boot on that ball joint for too long.

Its a tough one to deal with as our original design kit for this application used high temp silicon for the boot material in response to issues with OE or stock boots. The silicon has a high temp resistance compared with stock however it’s a little fragile and we were getting complaints about tearing when fitting etc.

We then changed over to a higher spec synthetic rubber that has a higher operating temp resistance than stock and is much more durable than silicon. That is our current material spec but unfortunately the design of the EVO front makes this a high heat stress application when racing and particularly when removing stock heat shields.

Jeff_Jeske, you’re spot on with your comments and we experienced same when preparing our EVO 8 development car back in 2004. The braking performance suffered if the heat shields were left on and most EVO’s used a cloth (Kevlar weave or similar) shield wired on to the outside of the tier rod and ball joint boot. I believe this is still used on racing EVO’s to this day.

No doubt a brake ducting solution would work well here. Let us know is there is anything more we can do.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au
I much appreciate your participation on evom. I am having the RCC kit installed Thursday. I track the car 6 to 8 times a year, heat shields are in place. The car is mainly a daily driver and I don't want to have to mess with the ball joints/boots every year or two. Can you comment on the stock boots versus the ones you supply with the RCC kit (purchased a couple months ago)? Which would you recommend I use?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:25 AM

G'day everyone,

Thanks for the supportive comments, love to help.

aeroweenie, I would rate our boots as a higher spec product than the stock items with respect to heat resistance. Its just that we're still talking in the 100's of degrees for a boot material versus a brake rotor that can run at 650 C plus and that’s too hard for anything to deal with.

I would suggest shielding for anyone that’s racing an EVO for the reasons mentioned. Regardless of how careful you are and how much better our material may be, one day you’ll need to raise the front quickly after a race or stop to check the hot tyre temps/pressures and bingo, you’ve cooked those boots.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can anyone post a link as to where one would get such protective shields for the ball joints?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotime
can anyone post a link as to where one would get such protective shields for the ball joints?
x2
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Googled it. Found a bunch of stuff here, for example: http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...ction=category

l8r)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

the shielding/wraps will eventually fail. Best bet is to make an aluminum heat shield like this one:

Name:  DSC_0100-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  21.2 KB

its a corvette rod end but the principal is the same. I believe its just .062 sheet aluminum from your local home improvement store.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
the shielding/wraps will eventually fail. Best bet is to make an aluminum heat shield like this one:

its a corvette rod end but the principal is the same. I believe its just .062 sheet aluminum from your local home improvement store.
I like that. I think Im gonna make me some heat shields for the Evo and our IT RX7.

I wonder if thats legal to do in IT class...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Be nice if somebody made one that wraps slightly more around..
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

I like it too.. wondering what the ruling is as well in other racing classes. good find..
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

That's a great idea. This thread turned out to be very informative!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

this wasn't my idea so don't give me the credit, I'm just sharing the info...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by whiteline jim
G’day everyone,

black95tt, understand your concern and I wouldn’t be happy about driving without a fresh boot on that ball joint for too long.

Its a tough one to deal with as our original design kit for this application used high temp silicon for the boot material in response to issues with OE or stock boots. The silicon has a high temp resistance compared with stock however it’s a little fragile and we were getting complaints about tearing when fitting etc.

We then changed over to a higher spec synthetic rubber that has a higher operating temp resistance than stock and is much more durable than silicon. That is our current material spec but unfortunately the design of the EVO front makes this a high heat stress application when racing and particularly when removing stock heat shields.

Jeff_Jeske, you’re spot on with your comments and we experienced same when preparing our EVO 8 development car back in 2004. The braking performance suffered if the heat shields were left on and most EVO’s used a cloth (Kevlar weave or similar) shield wired on to the outside of the tier rod and ball joint boot. I believe this is still used on racing EVO’s to this day.

No doubt a brake ducting solution would work well here. Let us know is there is anything more we can do.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au
Thanks for the reply Jim. Just checked mine and they were cooked. There's no salt on the roads here in Texas and I DD it & do only a few HDPEs a year. Heat shields were in place and Whiteline kit was only on for a year. Not happy with the fact I'll probably have to replace the roll center kit because of this boot problem. I have a 2006 EVO IX MR and maintain the OEM undertray and brake cooling deflector fins.

Last edited by EvImVictim; Sep 28, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

The new Whiteline roll center kits have a much heavier black rubber boot for the ball joints but you still need some kind of heat shield, if anybody needs a set of the stock backing plates PM me. The stock Mitsubishi rubber covers will fit the Whiteline kit
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
The new Whiteline roll center kits have a much heavier black rubber boot for the ball joints but you still need some kind of heat shield, if anybody needs a set of the stock backing plates PM me. The stock Mitsubishi rubber covers will fit the Whiteline kit
I just received a new kit and they are yellow still. Just an FYI.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

new kit from who? the set I got from Robi a few months ago were black and as I said much heavier than the yellow ones I had before.

Quick Reply: Whiteline Roll Center Adjust carnage.....