Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline Roll Center Adjust carnage.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whiteline Roll Center Adjust carnage.....

Ok, a little back story, I bought this car a little more than a month ago. It was tracked, road raced (by a respected member of the community), but well maintained. There have been a few issues that I've been trying to resolve and this is one of them. I started hearing some squeaks come from the front of the car when turning at low speed so I decided to inspect it. This is what I found:

Name:  IMG_5839.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.5 KB

Question, how did this happen? And what can I do to prevent it from happening again? Obviously I have to get a new lower ball joint, from whiteline presumably as OEM lower ball joints aren't available. One thing to take note is that these were installed summer of last year.

I imagine the alignment is off by a good bit due to this issue as well. The tire wear would certainly indicate so.

Name:  IMG_5842.jpg
Size:  86.1 KB

Also, these whiteline boots don't seem to hold up. On the tie rod end you can see the boot dry rotting pretty badly already. Again, these are about a year old and have been through one winter.

Name:  IMG_5841.jpg
Size:  77.0 KB
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im assuming salted roads probably messed them up considerably when compared with other places
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Contact Global Performance Parts (Whiteline USA) directly at 616-399-9025

They will take care of you.

- Andrew
Old Sep 6, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

^yes they will, that same thing happened to me and they wanted the old parts shipped back so they can investigate...
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Seems like the boot tore and lost it's grease on the top pic (ball joint most likely has problems now). Other's have stated that the stock boot fits just fine (MR455070), might hold up better than white line provides.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have heard many people say that you can't remove the front rotor heat shield or you will cook those boots (and ABS sensor).
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, your rotor heatshield is missing. After a cool down lap, driving through the pits, getting out and then using a laser temp gauge, my discs were still over 600F deg.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help guys. These details are all quite new to me as this is my first EVO. I'll contact Whiteline first thing after the holiday. Do you think the car is safe to drive? There are no clunks, just a squeak here and there. As far as the heat shield, the car has the AMS brake ducts installed, would these eliminate the possibility of running the stock heat shields? Thanks again.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what AMS design is like, but I'm running the forge ducts and I had no modifications to the heat shield.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:17 PM

G’day everyone,

black95tt, understand your concern and I wouldn’t be happy about driving without a fresh boot on that ball joint for too long.

Its a tough one to deal with as our original design kit for this application used high temp silicon for the boot material in response to issues with OE or stock boots. The silicon has a high temp resistance compared with stock however it’s a little fragile and we were getting complaints about tearing when fitting etc.

We then changed over to a higher spec synthetic rubber that has a higher operating temp resistance than stock and is much more durable than silicon. That is our current material spec but unfortunately the design of the EVO front makes this a high heat stress application when racing and particularly when removing stock heat shields.

Jeff_Jeske, you’re spot on with your comments and we experienced same when preparing our EVO 8 development car back in 2004. The braking performance suffered if the heat shields were left on and most EVO’s used a cloth (Kevlar weave or similar) shield wired on to the outside of the tier rod and ball joint boot. I believe this is still used on racing EVO’s to this day.

No doubt a brake ducting solution would work well here. Let us know is there is anything more we can do.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au
Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Great thread. I have some DEI fiberglass heat reflective cloth that I think I'm going to wire around mine before my next track outing.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody hav a part number for the stock shields? I'll make sure to get a set back on. Whiteline Jim, thanks for the input.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

no shield?

Originally Posted by black95tt
As far as the heat shield, the car has the AMS brake ducts installed, would these eliminate the possibility of running the stock heat shields? Thanks again.
The AMS kit includes heat shields, if your car has an AMS kit it's missing parts. I have a set of stock shields for a VIII PM me if you interested.

Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteline jim
G’day everyone,

black95tt, understand your concern and I wouldn’t be happy about driving without a fresh boot on that ball joint for too long.

Its a tough one to deal with as our original design kit for this application used high temp silicon for the boot material in response to issues with OE or stock boots. The silicon has a high temp resistance compared with stock however it’s a little fragile and we were getting complaints about tearing when fitting etc.

We then changed over to a higher spec synthetic rubber that has a higher operating temp resistance than stock and is much more durable than silicon. That is our current material spec but unfortunately the design of the EVO front makes this a high heat stress application when racing and particularly when removing stock heat shields.

Jeff_Jeske, you’re spot on with your comments and we experienced same when preparing our EVO 8 development car back in 2004. The braking performance suffered if the heat shields were left on and most EVO’s used a cloth (Kevlar weave or similar) shield wired on to the outside of the tier rod and ball joint boot. I believe this is still used on racing EVO’s to this day.

No doubt a brake ducting solution would work well here. Let us know is there is anything more we can do.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au

exactly what I was going to say. Wrapping a heat reflector around the boot would be a good idea. If you get a chance to peek under some ferraris or maseratis, they have a reflective heat shield wrapped around all the balljoints. might not be a bad idea for the evo.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black95tt
Thanks for the help guys. These details are all quite new to me as this is my first EVO. I'll contact Whiteline first thing after the holiday. Do you think the car is safe to drive? There are no clunks, just a squeak here and there. As far as the heat shield, the car has the AMS brake ducts installed, would these eliminate the possibility of running the stock heat shields? Thanks again.

the car would be ok to drive. the balljoint is already ruined, your not going to make it worse. I would get it replaced asap. If you put it off to get it fixed it might be bad.

Quick Reply: Whiteline Roll Center Adjust carnage.....