Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Cheap assed steel rims?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cheap assed steel rims?

I'm looking for some rims to put snow tires on. My view is why spend $200 a pop on wheels that will see harsh winter conditions? Does anyone sell steel's the right size and offset for the EVO?

Thanks,

Keith
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apparently no one makes steel wheels that fit an EVO...

hopefully that will change at some point in the near future. I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes if someone did crank some out at $90 or less a pop. A steel 16x7 (or 17x7 if they couldnt make a 16" wheel fit over the brakes) would be great for winter use.

Alot of guys are choosing to use stock 17x8s with winter specific tires for this winter (and maybe future winters) and plan to buy some nice aftermarket 17x8, 17x9, 18x9, etc, rims in the spring for general spring-summer-fall EVO usage from that point forward.

I'm doing this, gonna get Pirelli 210s on the stock 17x8s for winter use, then plan to pick up some 17x9 gold/bronze/black wheels with sticky Nittos in February/March for spring-summer-fall use.

hope that helps
Old Nov 8, 2003, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My view is why spend $200 a pop on wheels that will see harsh winter conditions? Does anyone sell steel's the right size and offset for the EVO?

I had been thinking along the same lines.

Rims like the base model (RS I believe) Japanese Version 7 had. I think they would make for a perfect winter wheel/tire set-up. I wonder if there would be a feasable way to get these rims from Japan if enough people wanted them?

Venders...? Any ideas?
Old Nov 8, 2003, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

The RS model in Japan doesn't have brembos, hence the ability to fit steelies..
Old Nov 8, 2003, 05:45 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Re: Cheap assed steel rims?

Originally posted by Fourdoor
My view is why spend $200 a pop on wheels that will see harsh winter conditions?
You could fit smaller rotors and downsized calipers for winter, and then use steel rims. After all, it's easier to dump brake heat in freezing temps, and you won't be using full braking on ice.

That might be fine, if you live in Frostbite Falls and never see a bare road all winter.

But most of us need a mix of snow and dry road handling.

That means fitting rims over the stock brakes. A steel rim that would fit would weigh a ton. That's a lot more unsprung weight than the suspension was designed for. One consequence would be that the tires wouldn't stay glued to the surface as well. So your tires would skip off of irregular surfaces -- like hard-pack snow, plowed roads with dry spots, or poorly paved roads. And if your tires aren't on the ground, you're an unguided missile -- pure ballistic. I don't know what it would do to your shocks over time.

So, to answer your question, the reason to spend money on winter rims is handling.

Properly shod, the EVO should be an all-season performance car. Winter alloys aren't as cheap as steelies. So what? The EVO isn't as cheap as a Yugo.

As they say on the track: it's a matter of seconds per dollar.