Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

It's almost that time of the year again...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the hankook ipike w409 in a 225 17" tire.......from the snow I drove with them in they worked awesome.

I got them towards the end of winter last year for a 450.00 installed price tag, couldn't pass it up - the warehouse didnt want to keep inventory so they were selling winter tires dirt cheap.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blizzak ws-50's on 245/45/17

Last edited by kmcconn9; Sep 21, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
I run the hankook ipike w409 in a 225 17" tire.......from the snow I drove with them in they worked awesome.

I got them towards the end of winter last year for a 450.00 installed price tag, couldn't pass it up - the warehouse didnt want to keep inventory so they were selling winter tires dirt cheap.
I would take a hankook ipike. I can't find them in applicable sizes on tirerack or discounttire.com. Tirerack has good tires but their wheels are way more expensive than discount tire. I'll probalby have to order at discount for the cheap winter wheels. All I can find is hankook icebears. IMO those and the blizzaks that tirerack sells don't look like agressive enough tread to do any good in significant snow. I really think I'd be best off with the tire in my first post.

Here's the situation:

You wake up. You have 6" of fresh snow on your driveway. Once you punch through the driveway you have 1/4 mile of inclined curvy road before you make it to the plowed highway. You absolutely don't want to slide your nice evo into a ditch. What tire would you most want to leave with?

A link to where to purchase the tire online is helpfull. Telling me what you got at your local store isn't that important to me. I've checked locally and the prices make ordering online totally worth it. I can practically get wheels and tires for just the price of tires in town.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I would take a hankook ipike. I can't find them in applicable sizes on tirerack or discounttire.com. Tirerack has good tires but their wheels are way more expensive than discount tire. I'll probalby have to order at discount for the cheap winter wheels. All I can find is hankook icebears. IMO those and the blizzaks that tirerack sells don't look like agressive enough tread to do any good in significant snow. I really think I'd be best off with the tire in my first post.

Here's the situation:

You wake up. You have 6" of fresh snow on your driveway. Once you punch through the driveway you have 1/4 mile of inclined curvy road before you make it to the plowed highway. You absolutely don't want to slide your nice evo into a ditch. What tire would you most want to leave with?

A link to where to purchase the tire online is helpfull. Telling me what you got at your local store isn't that important to me. I've checked locally and the prices make ordering online totally worth it. I can practically get wheels and tires for just the price of tires in town.
Blizzaks work just fine. I've ran stock size on my evo and one size skinnier on my focus for two years now. I will never run a studded tire unless its Ice racing (not legal for the road.)

Check with Underground Performance. They are more than reasonable in town.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:40 AM

Like WRCRS said, lots of people run Blizzaks just fine up here. Personally I run the ipike's one size skinnier, check with Underground Performance, if they dont have it they can get it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I have the General Altimax Artics mounted on the stockies. They are friggin beastly and after 1 winter they are still like new hopefully get three winters out of them.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:00 AM

I run Mastercraft Glacier Grip II's in the stock size. I was skepticle about them when I first saw them in a local tire shop. I'd never run an off shoot brand before but I decided to go with them and have no regrets at all. They are fantastic in the snow, deep powder, slush, ice, no problem. Id highly recommend them, and they can be had cheap.