Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

It's almost that time of the year again...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's almost that time of the year again...

What tires are you going to go with for the winter time?

Specify size and post a review if you've ran them before. I'm fairly new to evo's and I'm gearing up on ordering my first set of winter shoes. I'm interested in opinions of people who actually have to deal with decent amounts of snow and what setup works best.

I'm thinking about downsizing to a 215/50/17. I'm liking the look of the tread pattern on these and the price is right. They have some nice wide grooves on the shoulder.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=17&cs=215

Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No can do...I don't think you can fit into the 17"s...doesn't fit over the Brembo brakes. I was thinking the same thing, as I've always downsized tire size in all my other cars but after lots of research the final conclusion from everyone was that I could not fit 17's (I drive a 2008 EVO MR)...I also have 17's from my Sebring and no way would they fit my EVO brakes when I put them side by side....there is only about 1/2 of an inch from Brembo brakes to the 18 inch rim as it is.
I'm in the high snow and ice belt in Ottawa, Canada. I Just got my tire order delivered last evening...bought the Blizzaks WS 60 as they are one of the best for snow and ice and are still at a decent price (they are huge, but will keep me gripped to the road)...I googled every site I could find on the topic. You won't find steel rims either...they only have that in Japan for the EVO's...you will have to go with the aluminum rims...buy the cheapest ones if they salt your streets as they will be eaten away by the salt and then look like garbage in a few years anyways, regardless of what you paid...ask for the "winter recommended" rims...not every rim does well in winter and usually there are only 5 out of 100 that any good rim dealer will recommend for winter. Don't know if you plan on using your stock rims, but for the same reason, I think you might want to purchase a second set of cheap rims for winter driving and also you don't want to ruin your summer tires having them removed and replaced all the time...this process also does damage to your rims. It was also recommended that I could find a set of old stock rims and put new tires on them, but that is hard to find in areas like yours and mine where there are few EVO's around.
I bought 245/40/18, and 8.5 in rims...just as the owners manual said to do...don't want to order tires on-line and they not fit...especially way up in Alaska or in upper Canada, and the on-line prices are usually the best.
Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

My winter tire are the Bridgestone Blizzaks in a 245/45/17. They are the **** in the snow. Id recommend getting those. The Yokohama Ice Guards are pretty good too. I don't have any other personal experiences with winter tires. Good luck.

Aaron
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:46 PM

Actually those will fit because he stated he drives and evo 9 which comes with 17s stock. He does not have a X.
Originally Posted by coryl
No can do...I don't think you can fit into the 17"s...doesn't fit over the Brembo brakes. I was thinking the same thing, as I've always downsized tire size in all my other cars but after lots of research the final conclusion from everyone was that I could not fit 17's (I drive a 2008 EVO MR)...I also have 17's from my Sebring and no way would they fit my EVO brakes when I put them side by side....there is only about 1/2 of an inch from Brembo brakes to the 18 inch rim as it is.
I'm in the high snow and ice belt in Ottawa, Canada. I Just got my tire order delivered last evening...bought the Blizzaks WS 60 as they are one of the best for snow and ice and are still at a decent price (they are huge, but will keep me gripped to the road)...I googled every site I could find on the topic. You won't find steel rims either...they only have that in Japan for the EVO's...you will have to go with the aluminum rims...buy the cheapest ones if they salt your streets as they will be eaten away by the salt and then look like garbage in a few years anyways, regardless of what you paid...ask for the "winter recommended" rims...not every rim does well in winter and usually there are only 5 out of 100 that any good rim dealer will recommend for winter. Don't know if you plan on using your stock rims, but for the same reason, I think you might want to purchase a second set of cheap rims for winter driving and also you don't want to ruin your summer tires having them removed and replaced all the time...this process also does damage to your rims. It was also recommended that I could find a set of old stock rims and put new tires on them, but that is hard to find in areas like yours and mine where there are few EVO's around.
I bought 245/40/18, and 8.5 in rims...just as the owners manual said to do...don't want to order tires on-line and they not fit...especially way up in Alaska or in upper Canada, and the on-line prices are usually the best.
Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

The word "downsizing" got me then. I guess the two replys so far own and therefore would recommend the Blizzaks. In the on-line reviews, there are other good tires out there such as the Yokohoma Iceguard, the Michelin Pilot PA3, and the Pirelli winter carving, etc, but all are higher in price than the Blizzacks, which have great reviews and usually a much better price.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking of going skinnier partially because I see the snow rally cars with skinny tall tires. I assume it is the allow for more weight per square inch of contact patch on the tire to make it cut through the first few inches of snow to something more hard packed it can bite. Either 225/50/17 or 215.

I might go stock size I couldn't see going wider than stock for sure. I drove around a little on my 255/40/17's at the end of last winter and that was definitely too wide for the ice/snow. I plan on getting a second set of wheels for the winter tires.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Rule of thumb: skinnier winter, wider summer. 225/50 has been done. I am unsure if a 215 will fit the 8in rim width. Neal can chime in on that.

Other brands - Dunlop winters, B'stone Blizzak, General, and Continental.

Since you are in AK - can you run studded?

---
When I lived in MI with my Evo, I just ran good all-season tires. I never got stuck - and I was lowered.

But AK, might be a bit different. Snows would be well used there.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I can run studded from October to April. One of the reasons I wanted to go to 215 was the tire selection changes drastically based on the size. There's not many aggressive tread patterns available in 235 or 225. Most of them look like regular all seasons with a different rubber compound made mostly for driving on already plowed roads. My road is often one of the later ones to see the plow. The 215's I found are also studable while most of the standard evo size tires are not.

I have a 10 degree incline on my dirt driveway and my road to access the local highway is also inclined. We get frequent snow, ice, and slush. I just want the best snow performance I can get to ensure I can make it out to work and what not when the going gets rough. We got dumped on pretty heavily last year.

If someone could chime in on if I could mount 215/50/17's on 17x8" wheels that would help. I would assume that I could because it's one of the options on the search after already entering the vehicle model.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Rule of thumb: skinnier winter, wider summer. 225/50 has been done. I am unsure if a 215 will fit the 8in rim width. Neal can chime in on that.

Other brands - Dunlop winters, B'stone Blizzak, General, and Continental.

Since you are in AK - can you run studded?

---
When I lived in MI with my Evo, I just ran good all-season tires. I never got stuck - and I was lowered.

But AK, might be a bit different. Snows would be well used there.

I have mounted Blizzaks in a 215 on a customers Evo. While we do not recommend it, it is possible.

I personally run the Blizzak LM-25v in a stock size, and could not be happier.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by revvin9k

Same setup here, love it!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

i have a set of michelin x-ice tires. they are great!

its premounted on steelies. 18 inch

im thinking about selling them. anyone here interested?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitelancerGTS
i have a set of michelin x-ice tires. they are great!

its premounted on steelies. 18 inch

im thinking about selling them. anyone here interested?

Where did you get 18 inch steel rims? I couldn't find them anywhere and I called all over Canada and the U.S...I was told that they do have some in Japan, but I wasn't going to go there.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Blizacks that came on the car when I bought it. OEM size. I'm actually kind of axnious to take off my Z1's and looking forward to some snow. The thing with snow is, around late Novemeber, early December, I'm super excited for snow. By mid Januaray, I'm sick of it and ready for spring. I'm usually itching to put my RPF1's with Z1's back on by February... but I can't
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:19 PM

Im still using continental contiextreme. Tires are still in excellent condition lol. They are A/S, no probs with noise on dry roads, traction is good on slush/water, but snow you cant go too crazy but just learn how to control the car when it drifts. During the past winters since I got my evo, it has been mostly dry winters, and when it does snow, it snows hard. But I never have probs getting out of deep snow with these tires.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by revvin9k
I have mounted Blizzaks in a 215 on a customers Evo. While we do not recommend it, it is possible.

+1 Every year the Blizzak comes out top in our testing. I have used those tires with my AWD for years now and it's amazing what you can go through when it starts to come down. We'll be testing the new Blizzaks this week so stay tuned!

Quick Reply: It's almost that time of the year again...