Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: What do you use your car for?
caged, track or auto-x only monster, no street
2.83%
Track or auto-x junkie, street drivable
25.47%
daily driver, some track, some auto-x
30.19%
daily driver, suspension work primarily for better looks
3.77%
daily driver, suspension work primarily for better handling
37.74%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

What do you use your car for and how important is suspension to you?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DD until I die. Currently all she has installed are GTWorx' springs and since she's an MR they work great!

However I do want to improve on what I currently have.

I'm thinking:
Whiteline front & rear sway bars
Whiteline roll center kit
Perrin stout mounts
Perrin PSRS
And possibly a rear strut bar.

-Jalal

Last edited by MJ23FE; Sep 24, 2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have much time to drive my car except to autoX and track events. I have been considering putting a cage in my car as well.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

My is DD/track/ax. Im on bilstiens, gtworx springs and tein camber plates and its all good
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive mine every. single. day. Coilovers are annoying. Even on softest settings, they are still stiff. Only auto-x mine just once but plan to do more. Plan on tracking it here and there but don't have money for tires so sticking with auto-x as much as possible.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Digging all the GTWorx spring guys in here.

I recently picked up an 05 Mini Pooper S as my DD. Great gas mileage, great handling, and a little bit of power. Specifically chose one with a sun roof because i knew if I didn't....i'd have it stripped, caged, flared, JRZ's on 500/500 spring rates, hoosiers, racetech seats, motec, etc, and i just can't afford to do it right now. The time is not right for a project car, but someday.

I like setting up other people's cars, but I need to get my butt out to some autocrosses and the track in my own car. In the meantime I'm doing my best to keep it a "street" car. Some suspension work is definitely in store for it though.

- andrew
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I chose the last option. DD, suspension work primarily for handling. But, it's not a daily driver. It's my weekend toy, which I rarley take to work during the week. It's, unfortunatly, never seen a track day. I'd LOVE to get to a track but it's tough when my two best friend are into trucks, the closest track in over 2 hours away and my work schedule blows. Excuses, excuses

I just use RobiSpec Springs and RSB. I'd soon like to get some Bilstein's, FSB, Roll-center kit, etc. I had Swifts on my last Evo. It's hard to say which spring performs better, in my opinion, but they're both top notch. I would have gone with GTWorx, but they're just not low enough, which in turn makes them handle so well. I don't want a slammed look, because I obviously got ride of Tein's and Tanabe's that I bought both my Evo's with, but I still want the car to look nice. I think, though, even though I've never driven on GTWORX springs, they're probably the best performing spring you could buy.

If I had an unlimited budget, I'd research a coil-over (so cliche, I know) that works on both the street and the track, but mostly the track. Instead of having a street evo I could take to the track, I'd rather have a track Evo, that's still decent enough to drive on the street. But since my budget is limited.... very limited actually I have to settle for less than both of those and just slightly improve the performance of my Evo.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

I voted "Track or auto-x junkie, street drivable", although I haven't had a chance to do nearly as many track days over the last 18 months as I would have liked to. However with the addition of an '04 A8 to my whips, the Evo rarely sees street duty anymore. Ironically the installation of the Bilstein/Swift combo may change that, though.

l8r)
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Voted for track/auto-x + street drivability. The two do not need to be mutually exclusive (although "street drivability" is subjective). With the right dampers (and right rebound/compression valving), a car can still be very streetable with stiff rates - the only problem is that it's not in everyone's budget. Good, streetable coilovers that also work on the track start at KWs, and those are north of $2000.

The Ohlins models I've driven on all have awesome street manners - at least as good as stock with the off-the-shelf springs. The Moton Clubsports on my car at the moment are also very streetable, even with 700/900 springs. Parking lot speed bumps and harsh driveway entrances are a little uncomfortable, but they eat up bridge junctions and most cracks and ruts in the road. I don't daily my car, but I there are times when I have had to when the daily driver is broken - not bad, but I could imagine it would wear a bit after a while. On Ohlins I would have no issue driving the car every day.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by TommiM
+1
I would like it to look nice, but I prefer it to handle well.
Huge plus 1......I have had a couple of rides in my day where I was concerned with the look more than function....Boy did I learn the hard way how much money goes into a mod and then putting it right back to the way it was prior because of rattles,squeaks and safety issues. Rick
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Gotta love coilovers+sick summer tires. I DD my evo and love being able to take just about any turn I want with confidence. And there is a bonus.....LOOKS !!
My suspension setup= Fortune auto Coil overs, White Line steering bushing kit, and BF Goodrich KDW2. For what I do its a good set up, remember our cars are sick stock.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:24 PM

Function over fashion everytime, but I have to say the endurance of an upgrade matters to me alot. I race rally and my daily drivers get babied but I dont usually put anything on my street car unless its been rally tested ;-)
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:08 AM

DD right now but car has seen a huge amount of track miles so far. Eventually it will be a full track car.

I really have the car set up for a track. Stiff as hell mullerized JIC's and a huge rsb means around town its hard,noisy and uncomfortable...but i would rather have a well set-up car than have a compromised suspension
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:44 AM

MR Bilsteins and MR specific Swift Spec-Rs here.

Rides nice, handles nice and it seems to do just fine for autox. In fact about the only time I drive the car is for autox.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:27 PM

Function with good form in the EVO way. Function comes first for me.
Now only flexing GTWorx springs. and later Ohlins shocks, and Whiteline sway bars should work great
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

I don't DD mine unless the Eclipse is down which it is at the moment. When I do drive the evo I like to throw it into the corners. Now that the evo is seeing DD duties I think its time to replace the KYB's with some Blistein/whiteline combo. Love my GTWorx springs but starting to hate my KYB's.