Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

camber plates BROKE MY STRUT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
User installation error.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sscottttt
Sorry to see that this happened to you after I recommended these plates. I've had them on for about 5k mi without any issues so far, it looks like the strut shaft was either twisted from excessive torque/cross threading or got bent during install and became weak. Did you buy these used? If so it's possible that the shaft was weakened by the last person who had them. First thing I'd do is unscrew the nut from the piece of the end of the shaft and see if the nut was cross threaded.
no worries bud. yea i got the bilsteins used. i found the top nut and the strut threads in my engine bay after the bang.. =(.. no cross threading.. i can run it threw, the nut/bolt by hand.,, it almost seemed like the bearing section of the camber plates were incorrect. or the hardware (the cone washed mainly) was to tall... something got effed along the way. scott you have pics of your strut tops?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
installed wrong
Old Oct 7, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blkmkIII
no worries bud. yea i got the bilsteins used. i found the top nut and the strut threads in my engine bay after the bang.. =(.. no cross threading.. i can run it threw, the nut/bolt by hand.,, it almost seemed like the bearing section of the camber plates were incorrect. or the hardware (the cone washed mainly) was to tall... something got effed along the way. scott you have pics of your strut tops?
I'll take some pics from the top but I don't have any from when I was putting it all together the first time. Let me know fi you want some help when you're ready to get it back together.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

the plates came pre assembled. it said in the instructions. dont eff with them.. literally put the spacer in that goes one way. aswell as the nut that goes on one way. lol... thanks scott
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow! I just did exactly same thing today. I thought you stole my strut and took a picture. lol but I didn't use impact gun. i just torqued down with 17" socket with ratchet. sigh.. Let me know if u want my extra. I ordered Stance coilover for $1500 for overnight shipping QQ
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

I've ALWAYS used an impact gun to tighten that bolt. Of course that's not the correct way, and I certainly don't hold it on there, but I never had any issues. I don't know what else to say other than.... damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear.

When I bought my car and went to swap out the springs, whoever installed the Tanabe's that were on the car had crossed threaded it and then the threaded another nut on to "locl" them together so they couldn't back off.... awesome... I defiantly bought new struts after seeing that.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Oct 7, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LanEvo9MR
wow! I just did exactly same thing today. I thought you stole my strut and took a picture. lol but I didn't use impact gun. i just torqued down with 17" socket with ratchet. sigh.. Let me know if u want my extra. I ordered Stance coilover for $1500 for overnight shipping QQ

wanna sell the other strut? i dont have the bling like you =(
Old Oct 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Dang so do the norcal camber plates not work with stock struts? I was thinking of getting a set for my bilsteins and swifts
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:57 PM

Does not the conical bit sit on the strut shaft under the mount, then the mount with the nut screwed down on the top. Your first pic suggests you put the nut into the conical bit with both on top of the mount and nothing under the mount to allow for articulation.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

the plates were pre assembled, in the instructions is say install them as they are sent. all i did was put a nut on the top that was provided.. drove a few miles... BOOM. done. and your not writing poetry your posting on a forum guy.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:14 PM

Sorry for trying to help, sounds like you need it.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:55 AM

Ouch.. that would suck.. there's not much to them as you said so can't see how you would have installed them wrong like people are saying.. perhaps it was torqued too much but don't know how that would end up snapping the strut..
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

If you bought them used as said, you never know what happened to them struts before you got them. they could have been ready to snap and that last blast with the impact gun could have cracked it. Who knows its a little hard to go back and find out but good luck and hope it doesnt happen with your new strut.