Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Slicks for the track

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:34 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may try them next year. I have to order a set of stock rims 1st. :-)

Originally posted by Taz
My last post was meant to tell you what to use if you HAD to drive to and back from the track with the same set of tires. If the ride is more than a few miles I wouldn't drive on the Kumho's Victoracers nor the Hoosiers. However if you must drive to and from the track and it's a bit of a hike, then I'd go with the Yoko's A032 or the Toyo RA1.

The Victoracers are tough to beat at $138 for the 245/45 - 17. A Hoosier R3s03 is over $200 each. Only minus is that the Victoracer is a tad taller than the Hoosiers.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

I am running the 255/40 V700s, and they are very good for my 8 mile trek to the site, and despite the weight they make up for it with incredible grip matched with competent wet traction.

To illustrate... in my autocross yesterday we had only 2 vehicles that ran faster than me, one was a cart, the other a tube frame with a 350cid chevy motor strapped to it. I beat all the other cars there, including several Z06s and even a Cobra replica on 12" wide Hoosiers. The last run was wet... my time was still only .3 seconds off my slowest dry run.

Check out the 4th run times and you'll see what I mean, I am car number 669, shown as fastest PAX for the day. A few cars made runs before the rain began that run, but still none were close to my Kumho assisted time: http://209.26.216.140/2003/OCT1903_BCC.htm
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:46 PM
In Timeout

What do they do on a track where you run them more then 50 seconds? What about 2 hours?

Originally posted by 2Cool
I am running the 255/40 V700s, and they are very good for my 8 mile trek to the site, and despite the weight they make up for it with incredible grip matched with competent wet traction.

To illustrate... in my autocross yesterday we had only 2 vehicles that ran faster than me, one was a cart, the other a tube frame with a 350cid chevy motor strapped to it. I beat all the other cars there, including several Z06s and even a Cobra replica on 12" wide Hoosiers. The last run was wet... my time was still only .3 seconds off my slowest dry run.

Check out the 4th run times and you'll see what I mean, I am car number 669, shown as fastest PAX for the day. A few cars made runs before the rain began that run, but still none were close to my Kumho assisted time: http://209.26.216.140/2003/OCT1903_BCC.htm
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

For competing in any sort of car class which restricts suspension modifications, don't neglect the importance of tire diameter -- it's the most effective (only effective?) way to lower the car within SCCA Solo II Stock class rules. And even if you're not racing in a restricted class, purchasing smaller diameter tires is still a cost effective way to lower the car.

My car on 245/40R17 Hoosiers runs 0.3 inches lower than it does on the stock 235/45R17 A046 tires. Not a huge drop, but it makes a difference.

And no matter what tires you use, make sure you are running a decent amount of negative camber. On my stock suspension, I'm running -1.5 to -1.8 degrees on all four wheels, which improves cornering grip. Just as important to me, it prolongs the life of my Hoosiers greatly.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:04 PM
In Timeout

Sorry but I really don't care about autocross and that's 50 seconds not 1-2 hours at a time. I am looking for a TRACK tire that will last a few 2 day events. Autocross is nothing like driving on the track you don't even go over 50-60 most of the time.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I hope you don't think my suggestions about smaller tire diameter and increased negative camber were just for autocross.

Although I will say that a smaller tire diameter isn't a slam dunk on a road course -- you might be forced to use an extra gear that you wouldn't have used with a bigger tire. It will really be course dependent.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:39 PM
In Timeout

You are right, camber, caster, and toe will be different. I have a place that ROCKS for setting up cars. They all used to race and opened a tire shop and have been doing it for over 25 years.

Originally posted by jbrennen
I hope you don't think my suggestions about smaller tire diameter and increased negative camber were just for autocross.

Although I will say that a smaller tire diameter isn't a slam dunk on a road course -- you might be forced to use an extra gear that you wouldn't have used with a bigger tire. It will really be course dependent.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Running the V700s at Moroso for NASA events shows them to be a durable and predictable tire. Normally I see at least two open track events, along with many autocross events... even if they are just for the hoi polloi and not "real racers", per set of tires.

Ya know, that kind of attitude is why I do not hang out with SCCA club and track racers.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:35 AM
In Timeout

I am sorry I came across that way, you only said about your autocross and as you know they are different tires so it may not work on the track. Also thanks for the info.

Running the V700s at Moroso for NASA events shows them to be a durable and predictable tire. Normally I see at least two open track events, along with many autocross events... even if they are just for the hoi polloi and not "real racers", per set of tires.

Ya know, that kind of attitude is why I do not hang out with SCCA club and track racers.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:40 PM

Wow man, you are kicking butt. I'm not as good, but I did have excellent results on Sunday running the exact same tire and size - it was my first event in the Evo on R-compound tires. I beat many Corvettes. I won AS in a field of about 12 cars, most of which were C4 Vettes. I was within .2 of beating SS, won by an experienced driver in an RX-7 TT. Maybe the only Vettes that beat me were the ASP (modified) C5 Vette driven by Gary Thomason (one of the best drivers in the country) and a SS Z06 driven by national champ Leslie Cohen.

I plan to run the V700 Victoracers in a couple weeks at Willow Springs, which to those who don't know it is a 2.5 mile roadcourse. I've found the V700's are excellent on roadcourses and they've been used for both roadcourses and autox ever since Kumho started selling them years ago. In fact, the only R-compound tire that comes to mind which is only recommended for auto-x is the Hoosier AS303, although I know people have used up their used Hoosiers at roadcourses.