Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best lowering springs? or not worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DSM Jim
pretty sure theres not that many threads on it smartass
Wrong. There are. Try the search function. Sort by relevancy.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, go with Swift sport or spec-r springs. Sports is more for DD, and spec-r's are more race ready. I have spec-r's on mine and its mainly driven on the street and I cannot complain, I love them. Instead of spending a fortune on coilovers that will probably make your ride really uncomfortable, just get some swift spec-r's or sport's and get bilstein struts to replace the stock ones and you will have one sick setup! The belsteins are not cheap but not near as expensive as coilovers! gl
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

had tanabe springs picked them up used for around 125.00

saved up just put on coilovers sold the tanabes for 125.00
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I would ONLY put GTWorx/Swift/RobiSpec springs on my own Evo... and would not even put Teins on my enemy's car... well, maybe one of them

Seriously, I went with the GTWorx... very happy with them.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
biggest waste of money and biggest regret putting lowering springs on my eclipse, sure it looks good but on stock shocks don't expect those to last long then your simple 300 dollar set of look nice springs cost you another 900 in shocks racking you up to 1200 on unadjustable, uncomfortable akward ride height that you will not be satisfied with. You will love them for the first month or so then you will want the freedom to change your setup at any time (say you buy new rims or mod with a lip kit and such). Just save for about 4 months (not every penny but like every second paycheque or so) and you will have some nice coilovers that you will send me a PM saying thank you in the future for!

good luck and i hope i didn't push you in any direction....
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Just so we are clear... I HAVE coilovers to sell people, and DO NOT have springs to sell people. However, GTWorx/Swift/RobiSpec actually designed/had designed a spring for the OE dampeners. NOT just a "lowering spring" like these others. These offerings were designed as a performance increase, and not so wanabe "boy racer" could put his car "in the weeds".

Coilovers are grand and all. However, regardless of make, the internet is littered with people unhappy with their coilovers as they did not know what they were getting into. If one thinks they can install coilovers with a "tape measure", and out perform a Bilstein/GOOD spring/swaybar combo, they will be sorely disappointed. Don't quickly dismiss the EXPERIENCE of those in the know.

On the flip side... one CAN get good performance out of affordable coilovers too. You WILL have to figure in the added expense of corner weighting (actually for ANY coilover), and time in keeping an eye on them as I've personally seen the same problems with coilovers ranging from $850-$5k.

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some lowering springs suck and I would prefer stock. Some springs are good.

Some coilovers suck and I would prefer stock too. Coilovers aren't magically better....if anything they're harder to get right.

- Andrew
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Swift on MR suspension is awesome. It's well worth it.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had Swifts on my old Evo. Have Robi's on my current. Both are AWESOME. Had Tein's and they were junk. The people who have actually experienced going from Tein's to Swifts, Robi's or GTWORX can tell you... Tein's are pure garbage, that's just the way it is.

GTWORX, don't expect a wicked ride height (0.8"F, 0.6"R). Robi's are at a moderate price (1" all around). Swifts are the most expensive, and will give you a nice looking ride height (1.3"F, 0.8"R).

As far as which perfroms the best out of the three is probably opinion. Noboyds has really tested all three against each other. They're all "worth it" though

Coil-overs are nice if you plan on changin your ride height often, and if you're getting them for performance, you're going to be spending $2k or more, easy.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I just got the swit spec-r, I like them a lot, and in my opinion the car rides better than the stock springs, it is solid in the corners (I have only had the opportunity for some spirited street driving, no track yet) but I definitely recommend them, especially for the price.

I have never ridden in a car with tein springs that rode well (including the tein coilovers etc) .... very bouncy, and uncomfortable.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run Swift Spec R's on MR bilsteins. Ask Zeus, I used to refuse to install "just" springs on cars. After so many trusted sources raved about the Swift's coupled with my utter disgust of wheel gap I took the leap. Ironically enough the car rides smoother and with sooo much less bounce with the springs vs. the stockers. The handling difference is absolutely night and day.

Here are some shots of my ride height with the swift r's, mr bislteins, and my new forgestar f14's in 18x9 with 34mm offset wrapped in 255/35/18 vredestein ultrac sessantas.

Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I use the Spec-Rs and love them. The ride is really smooth for DD and is more than capable of handling on autocross. Can't speak about any of the other springs though...
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

I had HKS coilovers on my first Evo and liked them, but for what I was doing with the car they were overkill.

If your just gonna drive your car and maybe autocross it, just buy one of the nicer springs mentioned and throw them on your stock suspension. Later when you have the $ buy some Blistien HD's or some used MR Blistiens. Thats my plan....
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd say for you people that just HAVE to have that low look, it will be hard to beat the setup Mitsuorder just posted pics of. If I were going to run any other spring than the GTWorx that I have, it would only make sense to go to those. The rates on the GTWorx set is about 10% heavier than the Swift sports, and I believe the Swift Spec R's are bout that more than the GTWorx.

Looks good Mitsuorder...

Mine for comparison (older pick):

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Action shot of my old car:

Static:

Quick Reply: Best lowering springs? or not worth it?