Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best lowering springs? or not worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wrong. Its about lowering amount. Teins are too low. Struts to not care where they stroke from; they care where they bottom out. Teins (documented) are on the bumpstops. Ask your self if thats a good idea?

Get proper springs with the new struts. You will be amazed in the difference. Cars that I have helped change over from the Teins to Swifts and GTWorx - all owners have been blow away on what the car can really feel like.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good thread. Glad I purchased a set of robispecs earlier this week and some bilsteins today. I could not afford coilovers, sorry Zeus

Smike and others - How much stiffer is the spec-r's compared to Robispec? I am going to try the robispec first with a 25mm bar and see.

Also, one last question - are you guys running an upper mount for camber adjustment? - I see that ksport, tein and whiteline make some.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Swift Spec Rs: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 196 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.8 drop.

Swifts work at the maximum rate 358 front and 380 rear. Highest rates you can run before going to coilovers.

I ran the OEM top mounts on my Swifts. I was able to get near -2 up front on those. I would get an alignment on the -2 camber bolt selection. And -1 to -1.5 rear camber (depending how you like the car). Zero toe f/r.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

i had muelleized coilovers before and the handling was great except where i'm from the streets are horrble. the passenger shock blew and i went back to stock kyb's with hotchkis lowering springs. with the alignment specs that came with the springs, the car looked nice with a minimal drop and also feels good. coilovers are the best but if not used to the full extent and roads are horrible, just get springs.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Springs

Swift Springs, Teins will subtract your current handling.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

I disagree that coilovers are the best. Thats too broad of a statement. Good coilovers are good. Bad ones are really bad.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Wrong. Its about lowering amount. Teins are too low. Struts to not care where they stroke from; they care where they bottom out. Teins (documented) are on the bumpstops. Ask your self if thats a good idea?

Get proper springs with the new struts. You will be amazed in the difference. Cars that I have helped change over from the Teins to Swifts and GTWorx - all owners have been blow away on what the car can really feel like.
+1000!
Reading SmikeEvo's posts is how I made the decision on my setup and i absolutely love it!
Function>looks
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I disagree that coilovers are the best. Thats too broad of a statement. Good coilovers are good. Bad ones are really bad.
He said just for looks. I have the BC coilovers on my IX and I love them. I daily drive it.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder
+1000!
Reading SmikeEvo's posts is how I made the decision on my setup and i absolutely love it!
Function>looks
Who said function and looks could not be one?

Originally Posted by millen86
He said just for looks. I have the BC coilovers on my IX and I love them. I daily drive it.
Because you can raise and lower the height of the car? What about cornering? Rates? Function?