Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

spring install question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spring install question

So I installed Spec-Rs yesterday and have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I referred to this guide for torque specs, etc. but after the front struts were reassembled with the new springs and reinstalled on the car I noticed "Step 13" and the "tech tip" plus picture included:

I looked up in the wheel well and the holes don't really line up. Plus, there are like 3 holes on the top. The way I installed the springs was to obviously line up the bottom/start of the spring where the notch is and then line up the top where the "clean" line was from the original spring.

I now realize that the Spec-R spring and the stock spring probably didn't end in the same spot, and am wondering if I need to pull the struts out again and align that top portion. Let me know if you have any advice! Thanks!

Last edited by yahu; Oct 28, 2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

If you start to get a clunking noise from the front end you might want to reseat them, but otherwise you should be good. The main thing is to be sure they're properly set in the perches. In the pic they're using the KGB struts and it looks like the top plate just has a trough for the spring to rest in. In the top plate on your bilsteins that trough has a depression that you can butt the end of the spring up to.

Last edited by vicksen; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Refer to this thread for more pics...gives an idea of how to align the top hat using a file.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ec-r-pics.html
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

If it isn't perfectly aligned you will be fine. If you are like me you won't be able to sleep knowing it isn't perfect and will have to take them out and do it over.

Post pics of you car with the springs on!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to redo it. You can take the top rubber mount off of the top metal perch to adjust how it mates to the spring coil. You will have noises and its an improper install, which can lead to issues like shearing off the top nut.

Last edited by Smike; Oct 28, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, all. Smike, you are saying I have to do this with the struts removed, or are you saying I can do this with the car on the ground through the engine bay?

I'm not opposed to pulling them off again but finding the spring compressor was worse than I imagined and dealing with the buttcracks at Schucks/O'Reilly at Thrasher's corner almost resulted in an arrest last night...

Thanks again for the info!

*edit - btw thanks for moving this to the proper place - I was just trying to get help from my homeboys/homegirls in the PNW!

Last edited by yahu; Oct 28, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to pull off the car to do it right.

AutoZone or the like should have a compressor you can use or borrow.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

^thanks Smike - there aren't any autozones close to me. I know where to get them, worst case. I'll have to find the time before I get an alignment.

BTW - thanks for the reviews and comments on the Spec-Rs. You are a large part of the reason I went with them after debating a couple different springs. I couldn't be happier at this point - kind of like driving the car for the first time with the ear-to-ear grin!