Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Who's using Carbotech Pads and which ones?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:34 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by halfnhalf83
^^i doubt you would notice any sort of significant difference in heat transfer...esp if u just daily drive ur car for the most part. ^^

i DD mine and autocross. no shims...no issues. same fluid and my calipers are still pretty red. haha although i am upgrading pads to the GS5s if i can find them and changing my fluid out for either motul or amsoil.
Autox don't get brakes hot enough either. The DBA rotors I'm running has heat paint markings on them and I have yet to heat the rotors hot enough to even budge the coolest heat mark. The only time I think anyone would need ti shims is for track days to help resist heat transfer, but even then, a duct system would work more efficiently.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
If you're looking to lessen heat transfer then you should check out the Girodisc Ti shims since that is their intended purpose. If you just mainly use you car as a DD street car then you really don't need to worry much about heat transfer. I noticed no difference in actual braking with or without shims.
If Ti shims will not hurt a street car yet help against heat transfer during track days, I'll go that route. My steel shims will be for sale as soon as I get them...BNIE

Mods, sorry for the OT.

Edit: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-shims-nj.html

Last edited by rush63; Nov 10, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ended up going with RacingBrake ET500's. Got a great deal on them from a member on here. I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who posted up and helped me make a decision on what pads to buy. Thanks to Smike for being a great help also and not locking my thread, I know the topic is beat to death.

Grillpt
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:09 PM

Cant fault the carbotech pads.

I use the XP8s on the roads and on my local track, only one big braking zone.
But for other tracks I leave the XP8s on the back and use XP10s on the front
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XP10s F&R After 1 track day, i cant say anything bad about them. Did not experience any fade.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ja5on
Cant fault the carbotech pads.

I use the XP8s on the roads and on my local track, only one big braking zone.
But for other tracks I leave the XP8s on the back and use XP10s on the front
Do you swap rotors when you change to the XP10s?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Laxman
Do you swap rotors when you change to the XP10s?
Not at first. I would change to xp 10s then leave them on for the 40 mile drive up to the track. By then they got a good work out to bed in to the rotor agan. I have DFA 4000 discs on and from new they have only been used with carbotech.

For next year though I may buy some new front rotors just for the XP10s
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

i just got some of the xp8's last night and i'll be testing them out next week at a HPDE @ VIR...i was also looking at the R.B. et800's but decided to give the carbotech's a try since there wasn't too many reviews on them!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evozmarine
i just got some of the xp8's last night and i'll be testing them out next week at a HPDE @ VIR...i was also looking at the R.B. et800's but decided to give the carbotech's a try since there wasn't too many reviews on them!

My buddy has used the ET800's with great success on track. They are very loud for street driving though.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have used the Bobcats as street/autox pads on my MR for 18 months. full set of DBA 4000 rotors went on at the same time. Previous pads were the Project Mu.

Compared to Stock Brembos, and the Mu's, Bobcats have better initial bite, even in cold weather. Prolonged braking even with the DBA's did show them to start to show fade. Since i did not flush the system with new 5.1 or better fluid, it may have been that. they are not intended for track use. They do not dust very much and the dust is a brown colour.

Personally I think these work very well on the evo.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got XP8s on my street car. Insane initially grip. Lots of braking power. Rediculous noise 90% of the time and SSSSOOOOOOOOMMMMMUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHH DUST!!!. However a simple spray with a hose and 90% comes right off
If I cant get the squealing resolved they will be coming off though. It is absolutely the loudest brake noise I've ever heard.

I had ET800s before. Killed a new set in one track day. Left a coating of brake dust that would not come off. Had to use a super fine polishing compound to get it off
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Drifto- that pretty much mirrors my experience with carbotech. they stop very well, especially initial bite, make lots of dust (although comes off VERY easy) and sometimes squeak/squeel like a pig being raped.

I've accepted the fact that performance pads are going to have some trade off, either dust, noise or chewing up rotors. The performance of the carbotechs makes the trade-offs an easy choice for me.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chapter8
I have run carbotech 12's, 10's and 8's

Dont even think about running 12's and 10's on the street. 8's are very good and but still squeal and make lots of dust!
Why is that? I've ridden in a car with 12's, and I was sold on them. They didn't make a peep in the car I was in, and the bite felt like the carbon brakes on the Lambo Supeleggera.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:05 PM

I use Carbotech AX6 (autocross/street) brake pads and really like them. A big improvement over the OEM pads. Better initial bite and easier to modulate. The only downside that I see is that they tend to produce more dust than the OEM pads.

Quick Reply: Who's using Carbotech Pads and which ones?