Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To space or to roll?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 06:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
To space or to roll?

Hello --

I'm looking at getting some new wheels for my Evolution IX. I've got my eye on the SSR Type Fs, and it looks like 18x9 or 18x9.5 are the sizes. Neither of these are a stock fit, so here are the options:
1) 18x9 requires a 5mm spacer up front to clear the brake calipers. No fender rolling is necessary.
2) 18x9.5 doesn't require spacers. However, some fender rolling is probably necessary.

Here are my questions:
#1 If i use a spacer, do I need to put on longer wheel studs for the lugnuts?
#2 If I'm going to change the wheel studs, will I need to use an "open" lugnut instead of closed (due to the length of the wheel stud not matching up with the lugnut)?
#3 I've looked at a bunch of pics on evolutionm.net, but can't tell the difference on cars with mildly rolled fenders. Does it only affect the inside part of the fender?

My overall thought is leaning more toward the 18x9.5 and fender rolling. I'm assuming that I can use the stock wheel studs and only have to deal with some mild fender rolling. I'd prefer not to mess with spacers, wheel studs, etc. because I will be keeping my stock rims for winter or race tires.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks for your advice.

RedAustinIX
Old Nov 1, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a lot of people roll their fenders. personally im going to have a shop do my rears in the spring just so i don't mess up the paint

spacers aren't a big deal. putting them on/taking off is like another 5-10mins. hardly a lot of effort to do twice a year.
the spacers you buy will determine if you need extended studs. project kics, and i think ichiba both make billet spacers with extended studs.
i dont think the style of lugnuts you choose makes a difference.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

How easily the wheel fits will depend on the offset, not just the width. I've put 9.5" width wheels on without rolling my fenders with a +35 offset. Depending on the curve of the spokes this may or may not clear the front brakes without a spacer. Even if this is the case I think it's much easier to bolt on a spacer in the front then to go through the hassle of rolling the rear fenders.

Whether or not you need to roll your fenders will also depend on the width tire you choose and how low your car is. I ran a 255 on my 9.5's which was a very slight stretch and fit no problem, I probably could have gone with slightly bigger but with a 285 I would have needed to roll.

To answer your questions:
1. For anything over 10mm you can get a bolt-on type spacer which will let you keep your stock studs or slip-on which you will need longer studs for anything over 3mm.
2. You will need to get open lug nuts for your stock wheels if you decide you need to take the spacers off for winter. (I leave them on all year)
3. Yes rolling the fender only involves the inner part of the fender unless it is a very aggressive roll which also involves pulling which will most likely unpleasantly distort the fender without bodywork.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 06:02 AM

rolling isnt that big of a deal
Old Nov 8, 2009, 04:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks guys... looks like 18x9.5 and rolling it is... Now I just need to keep feeding my piggybank to get the SSRs...

Thanks again,
RedAustinIX