Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Alignment BT: Too much positive camber.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alignment BT: Too much positive camber.

I went curb hunting just last week and jacked up the left rear. Anyway, through my car on the alignment rack and my rear camber was at 2° and toe was at nearly 3°. I was able to adjust camber to 0°3'* and toe at 1°50'*. Camber is out of spec a bit and toe is way out. I do have some bent parts somewhere, I'm thinking the lower control arm.

But to get to my question... Can that much toe out and off camber cause the rear end to "float?" When I was on my way home, I made left to right quick turns, just to verify the cars reaction. Rear end feels like it floats. Could my current alignment be the verdict?

Last edited by cassidyb; Nov 16, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know what you mean by "float" but i wouldn't drive your car to much. you are going to destroy your tires. without looking at it my guess would be your lower control arm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm definitely leaving it off the road. I just need to get my hands on the lower control arm, or really any of the 3 including the knuckle if I found a good price.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what you mean by float. The tire is pointed awkwardly, so it could be making your rear end feel weird. Maybe even a pull or steering wheel off center? Do not drive the car. That tire is going to get chewed up like nothing.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you hit a curb with your back rim there are many different things you could have bent/broken....for example...upper or lower control arms, assist link, trailing arm, knuckle/hub assembly, axle, shock....To be honest I would replace all of that...It def. sucks but you could have 1 slightly bent piece that doesn't look bent at all & your alignment will never turn out right....
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be careful before spending a ton of money on replacing all the suspension arms. They are forged aluminum and don't really bend like a steel piece. I would think damage to one of these arms would be more obvious than a slight bend in steel. This makes me think you should check out your subframe for any damage. You might really have an expensive issue here.
Dan