Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need opinions on recent alignment....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need opinions on recent alignment....

So recently I took my summer tires off to put on the snows and noticed some pretty uneven tire wear. In a matter of convenience, I dropped the car off at a local NTB to check the alignment. Here are the results:

Camber FR: -2.1°
Camber FL: -1.8°
Toe: 0.05°+

Camber RR: -1.6
Camber LR: -1.6
Toe on the right is +0.25°
Toe on the left is -0.2°

Dude said they can't get the left rear toe bolt loose and they don't want to break it. are these acceptable numbers? Should I have them zero in the rear toe better?

Last edited by black95tt; Dec 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would try really really hard to fix your rear toe.

- drew
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I would try really really hard to fix your rear toe.

- drew
Gotcha. Otherwise it looks ok?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Otherwise it looks great....i wouldn't worry about the slightly uneven front....not much you could do about it either.

- Andrew
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if they break the bolt I assume it is a pretty cheap fix, right?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by McDougal
Even if they break the bolt I assume it is a pretty cheap fix, right?
I would assume. It was more of a concern that they wouldn't be able to source one for a couple days. I'll give it a shot tonight. If it breaks I'll order a new one and take it back in.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree with Andrew. Looks good aside from the toe.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Had to add little to this story. Before I dropped the car off, I reset the boost gauge. You can probably see where this is going already. When I went to pick it up, I got in the car and it said 24.5. Those ****ers took it out for a joy ride. I confronted the manager about it and he said they wouldn't have driven it hard. I said BS the gauge says otherwise. We went back and forth and I left pissed off. Can't trust anyone these days man. My fault for trusting them, but I explicitly said to not take joy rides before I left. Everything is fine, but still. What a crock. I searched for performance based alignment shops and I couldn't find crap in my area. WTF.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

tephra and valet mode FTW.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by black95tt
Had to add little to this story. Before I dropped the car off, I reset the boost gauge. You can probably see where this is going already. When I went to pick it up, I got in the car and it said 24.5. Those ****ers took it out for a joy ride. I confronted the manager about it and he said they wouldn't have driven it hard. I said BS the gauge says otherwise. We went back and forth and I left pissed off. Can't trust anyone these days man. My fault for trusting them, but I explicitly said to not take joy rides before I left. Everything is fine, but still. What a crock. I searched for performance based alignment shops and I couldn't find crap in my area. WTF.
That really sucks. Not sure where in OH you are, but if it's near cincy give Turn In Concepts a call. I'm not sure if they do alignments themselves, but they'll at least know of a good place.

I can't tell you how slow I drive customer's cars when i have to. Very grandma-ish. But then I'm not really a power guy.

I think "normal" car shops that don't see these kinds of cars everyday are a lot more prone to that sort of thing.

- Andrew
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black95tt

could have written down the mileage....thats always a good idea.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

MOST shops will drive a car to make sure the steering wheel and everything else is kosher before they give the car back.

I would have gone nuts. Before I worked at a shop, I would ALWAYS wait for my vehicle, no matter what.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I did write down the mileage. They only drove it two or three miles. That's plenty enough distance to rip the **** out of it though. All the while the engine had to have been cold. I know it wasn't warmed up when I dropped it off.

So I just got out of the garage trying to get the rear toe adjust bolt loose (that they claimed was seized). That bolt hadn't been touched. Neither of them had. Both came right loose with a crappy craftsman 1/2" socket wrench. Being that the rear toe was the only thing out of alignment, that means that they literally did not adjust a damn thing.

I dropped off my car, they stared at it, took it for a romp and then charged ME $100.

I'm located in Akron Ohio, if anyone knows of a good place shoot me a PM!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Parrish McIntyre Tire - Address Here

I have recently used this shop for my tire changes and alignments for my Focus. Have been good and do what I have asked for.

I have also used a place in Medina, Motomotion (http://www.motomotion.com/). But I think they got ride of their alignment rack.

Another place in Medina that we have a good relationship with is Dealer Connection (http://www.dealerconnectionmedina.com/). Good guys. Will do exactly what you ask for.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

So I took it back today and the dude said that I loosened the wrong bolts to adjust toe. I'm pretty sure he is wrong, does anyone have an illustration pointing out which eccentric bolts adjust toe and camber? I thought the inner lower control arm bolt did camber, and the inner upper control arm ( the one connecting to the front of the spindle) bolt did toe?

Quick Reply: Need opinions on recent alignment....