Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

help me diagnose my tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is 32/29
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

stock psi IS low....if you drive the evo as it should, it will wear heavily on the sides. you should be mid 30's for street (give and take few psi)... i agree with the statement... one side was driven overinflated while side was driven underinflated. atleast thats what your tires show.

anyhow too many toe in OR out will cause irregular wear. you said your last alignment was 6 month. as anyone will tell you here... go hit the alignment shop and let us know the current specs...

Last edited by mifesto; Dec 4, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:32 AM

thats the plan. Im tossing the stock springs in and changing the hubs, so it needs a new alignment anyways. According to a couple of tire gauges I have, they are within a psi left/right. So im not really sure if its just the pos gauges or if something else is going on. Even the "good" side is substantially more worn than I would expect.

At least I have an excuse to bigger and better next year, I suppose. But one summer out of some tires is FTL.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only get one season out of Yokohamas if I am LUCKY. Those things are ridiculous in terms of tire wear, but grip great for street driving. Only problem is the cost and the crappy wear. Sounds like an alignment. I would run next seasons at a higher psi, especially if you are ripping it around it will help against some of the wear you see there. Your best bet is to get a package from a reputable tire/wheel shop for a year or the lifetime of the car. I got a 5 year plan from a local shop and it only set me back like 260. I take it up there before every track visit, if I ever hit a big pothole, anytime I feel like it. I think I am one of the only people who is really getting their money worth with it here, but always ask for a printout and request it be set to a certain setting to show that it is your printout and legit.

Good luck.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought my alignment was bad too. I have a set of Bridgestone REO1R's that were new in Spring. They are all worn pretty unevenly and probably almost ready to be replaced. I just threw the winter tires on and took it to get it aligned. It wasn't far off at all. In fact everything was perfect except for the rear toe, it was about 0.25° out. My guess is that when you driving it spiritedly, and being a soft, low tread wear compound, you won't get much out of them.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im gonna say worn out shocks....shock recommended by any manufacturer to be replaced at 50k or sooner if leaking....check for external leakage...now if a tire is feathering which is hard to tell from ur tire pics due to them being balled....i would say replace the struts also check the upper mounts make sure there good still( heard stock upper mounts suck)....and then u should be good to go
if u have any questions pm me op
oh and to back my assumption im ase certified as a service consultant and work at a busy shop full time...so dont take my word for a grain of sand