Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

help me diagnose my tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me diagnose my tire wear?

Basically, Ive got both right side Azenis worn completely bald after about 5k miles. Tire pressures are 33 front, 30 rear. The wear pattern appears to be even, mostly the middle of the patch.

Here's the story:
This past spring, I installed hotchkis springs, checked my toe in the driveway (I know...). And then had my 2 year old Toyos put on. Within a week and a half, had cupped tires. I purchased some Azenis (255/40/17), had them installed and car aligned professionally. A month or so later, started noticing excessive noise, that was pretty hard to diagnose. So I swapped them front-rear and the nosie went away for a couple weeks and then came back. So I figured, just noisey Azenis. Well, now Ive been getting some roaring at 65-75mph that changes with steering input (as much as can be acheived at that speed), as well as some noise at slower speeds when turning the wheel when car is cold. So I purchased some hubs, praying its not t-case noise. Tonight, I got her in the air, pulled the tires off and both rights are completely worn.

My guesses:
Bad alignment (but I would think both fronts would be bad if this was the case)

Worn shock (they have 76k on them, and Im sure the springs arent helping)

Bearings? (can they have an effect on tire wear, even if there isnt play when grabbing ahold of the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and trying to move it?)

Tire pressure? (34 doesnt seem too out of line to me...)

Bad batch of tires?

So now Im wondering whether Im going to install the hubs. Im also tossing the stock springs back in for winter, so I will be half way there. Im also going to get my studded tires put on.

I do plan to have coilovers in the budget next spring, and obviously a new set of rubber.

What to do? Should I just toss the stock springs back in, mount the studded tires, get it aligned and run it until spring? Buy a set of used KYBs to hold me over? This is HOPEFULLY the last winter this thing will see, so if the studded tires get worn down (they are on their 3rd season) it wont be the end of the world. But whats going on here?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get all the info out there.

thx in advance
Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

you already know the answer, thats why most are ignoring your post.... get the alignment done so you can see the specs... we need to know your toe and camber setting before anyone can suggest anything......
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:01 PM

not to be *****, but if I knew the answer I wouldnt be here. And a whole 7-8 min of my thread sitting idle doesnt lead me to beleive anyone's ignoring my post. If it is alignment (toe), wouldnt both fronts be f'ed? Im not doubting that it is alignment, but Ive got the thing in the air and trying to figure out the best course to get it back on the road before I shell out 100 for an alignment.

I dug up my alignment specs from May, but pretty much useless since things change over time.
Camber:
FL -.8
FR -1.2
RL -.5
RR -.7

Toe:
FL 0
FR 0
RL .11
RR .12

And here some pics of what Im looking at. The good one is from the left, bad one from the right

They are the same front to rear. Looking at the second pic, whats going on with the center being curved in?

Last edited by sti.this; Dec 4, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably the cause is your crazy driving habits!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:09 PM

why dont you come down and lend a brother a hand instead of give me crap AK? haha
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sti.this
why dont you come down and lend a brother a hand instead of give me crap AK? haha
What are you up to now?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:13 PM

just trying to get this thing ready for winter. and hoping Im not throwing darts in the dark trying to figure out the problem here.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I would just get a realignment.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

one looks over inflated and the other looks under inflated .
couldn't tell ya why though.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

bad shocks usually lead to cupping, bad wheel bearing would hum exactly like you described in the first post getting louder by turning one way. i cant see your pics cause im at work right now and they block them but if theyre worn prematurely on one side and look good one the other thats usually a bad alignment. if i were you i would install the hubs you bought, throw the winter tires on and get it aligned, also theres quite a few places that offer either lifetime or one year alignments, since your going with coilovers this spriing i would suggest opting for one of those to save a few bucks. hope this helped!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:36 PM

and both are the same psi. and always have been. Im just gonna toss the stock springs in, get my snows put on and aligned.

Im just pissed about the sh!tty alignment shops around here. Ive been burned 3 times in the past year. Recently the g/f's cherokee that we just lifted. Didnt touch a f'in thing wouldnt give a printout and doesnt look right, Im stringing it up this weekend to check it. And all 3 occurences were different shops. Any reputable places up your way AK? 2 hour drive might be worth it. Coastal Maine for ya, 1 more reason Im gad I moved here.

any more opinions on whether to go ahead and install the hubs?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

and both are the same psi. and always have been. Im just gonna toss the stock springs in, get my snows put on and aligned.

Im just pissed about the sh!tty alignment shops around here. Ive been burned 3 times in the past year. Recently the g/f's cherokee that we just lifted. Didnt touch a f'in thing wouldnt give a printout and doesnt look right, Im stringing it up this weekend to check it. And all 3 occurences were different shops. Any reputable places up your way AK? 2 hour drive might be worth it. Coastal Maine for ya, 1 more reason Im gad I moved here.

any more opinions on whether to go ahead and install the hubs?
I got my car aligned at Arbo's towing near my house,they use a Hunter alignment machine.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/al...tems/index.htm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ak47po
Probably the cause is your crazy driving habits!
almost forgot..Im sure you heard of Ken's BBQ time trial ring of death!

Dom said there's a shop in the back of this German Sports Car Lot that does corner balancing on Porches and they do alignments. I didnt know they had a shop, its right by my work. Im gonna check em out but may end up your way or check around in Portland.

Last edited by sti.this; Dec 4, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

almost forgot..Im sure you heard of Ken's BBQ time trial ring of death!
No,do tell.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:53 PM

Isn't like 30 psi kinda low?

Quick Reply: help me diagnose my tire wear?