Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Winter Tire For Your EVO!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No personal experience with icebears but from what I've read it's a performance winter tire similar to the blizzaks for winter highway use. According to most winter tire shootouts it doesn't perform quite as good as the LM60 blizzak on ice. Comparable to the LM25.

The tread just didn't look aggressive enough for me on either ice bears or blizzaks. I know with the steep hills, bad roads, and mountains of slush I get around here the tread would probably pack right up and then they'd spin.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne99gsr
How about the hankook icebear?
I have hankook iceberas and i only got stuck once and that was trying to drive onto my friends lawn after a snow storm.... it was some heavy snow..

but other then that i've driven two winters in them and im on my third, they're great tires. the wear is good.. Next time i get tires im going to switch it up though... Im thinking Yokohama or Dunlops... somtimes the icebears feel iffy on slush though...

Last edited by Prevent; Dec 9, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:22 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
General Altimax Arctic outperforms everything in its pricerange and most everything above its price range. I have them on my evo and this year put them on my wife's (modded) GLI. In ice, snow, and deep snow they are absolutely amazing. In the dry, just get the tire pressure dialed in and you'll be rewarded with a tire that handles a lot better than you'd expect. I run 38/34psi front/back on both cars with good results.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wayne99gsr
How about the hankook icebear?
Awesome tires! Well priced too!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tirerack.com has a bunch of winter tire tests that are done on various road condtions. I'd strongly suggest looking there to truly see the best winter tire. After all the research I have done, I prefer the Blizzak WS60 and thats what I run on both of my cars. Its a studless design that still sticks to ice with the special rubber compound. I've tested this with an ice cube and its no joke. Most other cheaper winter tires do not have that compound and would need metal studs to stick to the ice. If you don't mind the metal stud noise, then I'd probably go that route since the tires are usually cheaper.

I've taken the WS60 tires through 2 feet of snow in my lowered GSX and it never had any issues. Keep in mind some of the older Blizzaks do not have the same rubber compound so not all Blizzaks are the same and some do better than others.

Edit- Tirerack tests-
www.tirerack.com/winter/wintertesting.jsp

Last edited by rodent; Dec 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
General Altimax Arctic
Love them

So much better than the Blizzaks my ex had on her RS
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Love them

So much better than the Blizzaks my ex had on her RS
Which model of Blizzak? If its the LM-25 I'd agree.

The General Altimax Arctic is another good choice.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have iceberg's not bad for a price, this will be my 3rd winter with them, last you 3 seasons easy if you take them out for summer time, if you want best tire? go with nokian's.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

General Altimax Arctic come in tomorrow in 235/45/17 size

I will write a review thread then... Like someone else said, for the price they are great and outperform some of the more expensive winter tires.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

My General Altimax Artic (with factory studs) will be mounted as of Monday. I got them 235/45/17 as well. Ill chime in and let you guys know how it went. We just had, and are currently having a nasty snowfall, so until my car is cleared at customs and the general's are on, ill be enjoying my last days in the X5.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killthelights14
General Altimax Arctic come in tomorrow in 235/45/17 size

I will write a review thread then... Like someone else said, for the price they are great and outperform some of the more expensive winter tires.
If you look at General Altimax, the Hankook ipike, and the Nokian Hakkapelitta 5, the tread pattern is very similar as many reviews have pointed out, some even flat out saying that hankook copied nokian, and they have very similar performance characteristics. Studdable and a good aggressive tread that clears well for deeper snows and more adverse conditions than most city dwellers will see.

General Altimax

Hankook ipike

Nokian Hakkapelitta 5
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is my first year getting a dedicated snow tire. Just put on some Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I read some nice reviews around the forums and tirerack, etc, and they seem to be one of the higher rated winter tires.

I can't give any review just yet, but I will post up after a few storms come through (just caught the tail end of a storm, so a little snow and ice are on the roads today).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Another tire I would suggest is the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and Continental ExtremeWinterContact.

Test on those:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=122
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
This is my first year getting a dedicated snow tire. Just put on some Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I read some nice reviews around the forums and tirerack, etc, and they seem to be one of the higher rated winter tires.

I can't give any review just yet, but I will post up after a few storms come through (just caught the tail end of a storm, so a little snow and ice are on the roads today).
I also got a set of the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds. I found a great deal on them from a member on here so I went with them over the Blizzaks this year, anyone ran these in a good snow storm before? How are they in deep snow? Covered roads? I have read everything on tire rack, a few good reviews, one bad. I just wanted to see how the Evo acted with them on. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
I also got a set of the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds. I found a great deal on them from a member on here so I went with them over the Blizzaks this year, anyone ran these in a good snow storm before? How are they in deep snow? Covered roads? I have read everything on tire rack, a few good reviews, one bad. I just wanted to see how the Evo acted with them on. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-t...inter-sport-3d

Quick Reply: Best Winter Tire For Your EVO!