Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Winter Tire For Your EVO!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Winter Tire For Your EVO!

Hey guys! I'm not sure how many people here have been through a canadian winter with their evo but for those who have know that getting 6ft of snow over night is not really a big deal.

I'm looking for a tire that can handle well and get me through tons of snow and ice and who better to ask than the owners of evo's.

So if anyone has any experiences with some good winter tires please share, I need some asap!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly never had any other winter tire but the General altimax arctic sno tires are definately good in my opinion. They have a really aggressive tread pattern and can dig through the whites stuff without a problem. Take a look at the reviews for them on tirerack.com. Most say they are better than the blizzaks by far and have a great treadwear life on them. They are also a lot cheaper. One thing that I dislike about them is they seem to be really squishy on dry roads but there a snow tire what do you expect? I am sure if you get them studded you will be more than happy. Took them up to Vermont for and had no issues.
The following users liked this post:
WelDun1 (Sep 15, 2023)
Old Dec 5, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Dunlap Graspic DC-2 235/40/17. They are a studless snow tire. Third winter on these. I travel from SW Wyoming to Jackson Hole, WY, all the way to Great Falls, MT every three weeks. They are great tires. Good control for having fun too.
I got mine from tirerack for a real good price, check them out.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 08:31 PM

we put on about 8 sets of Goodyear Blizzacks this week. i would recommend them. i have never used them but i think that says something though.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 08:55 PM

Bridgestone Blizzacks FTW!!! i have the LM-25's and they are good for everything... even handle really well on dry roads. the only thing that will stop them is if you got about 2 feet of heavy wet snow, then the car will get hung up . read reviews on tirerack.com... good luck
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

i had blizzaks in washington and drove through quite a few snow storms and they worked very well.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

I Prefer Hankook Ipikes!! never done me wrong... amazing in the snow even on a fwd vehicle...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Living in buffalo NY I ran the Hankook Ice bears and the blizzaks, the blizzaks were good but the ice bears were amazing it didnt even feel like there was snow on the road after we had just got about 18"!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consumer reports snow tire reviews this year rated the General Altimax best budget snow tire and the Michelin x-ice Xi2#1 over all

Tire rack has the general altimax right around $100 in 235/45/17

The Hankook ipike is what I went with. Much more aggressive tread than the ice bears which are more of a cleared highway tire with a higher speed rating. Ipikes came in #9 at consumer reports but they didn't do any deep snow tests. By the looks of the tread I would say the Altimax and the Ipike's would probably dominate in deep snow.

I got some good looking aluminum wheels from discount tire for $135 ea for winter.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 are very highly rated and would probably be my choice for a tough Canadian winter if I wasn't buying wheels too and keeping costs as low as I can. The Hankook Ipikes are basically a copy of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta in tread design but they have a slightly inferior tread compound to keep costs low.

I didn't stud them. I first noticed how soft and floaty the snow tires feel at speed compared to wide sticky summer rubber. They're H speed rated but I'll sacrifice that for snow/ice traction. I've been through some pretty hard and thick frost plus an inch or two of snow already. The grip is awesome as long as you don't apply too much power. If you do though the break away is predictable. I had some fun today doing some powerslides on some iced over back roads. The grip was right there when I needed it. The braking on ice was surprisingly good.

I'm pretty impressed. I do think that next time I will probably go with 235/45 instead of 225. The car just doesn't seem as sure footed on the highway with the skinnier tread, not that it's bad it's just not the same. The steering wheel turns very easily and the rear end seems to drift readily when you want it to. Maybe I'm just not used to it. This is going from 255's. I have yet to get a real deep snow test. That might change my mind about the 225's but so far for straight up icy road I think 235 might have been better.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Dec 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Just get some slicks and youll be all set. JK Get some wheel chains on any snow tire and youll be fine in that 6ft of snow, my fwd open diff eclipse was rippin in 18" of snow with Sunny Winter tires and chains! On a really bad hill I passed a wrx that got stuck!!!

Last edited by 3gEclipseTurbo; Dec 6, 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

I love my Dunlop M3s!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

+1 on the dunlop wintersport m3's, great handling in snow as well as dry. check them out on tirerack
Old Dec 6, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Please search and read. This is something many have talked about.

Last edited by Smike; Dec 7, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're looking for a cheap winter option the General will work well with awd. However, I've always used Blizzaks on my cars. With Quattro and Blizzaks I can pretty do whatever I want in the winter. Amazing what they have gotten me through over the years. The new Michelin X-Ice XI2 is another top performer for all the Blizzak haters out there.

My car with WS60's last Feb. Yes, the snow was half way up the doors for about 7 miles of my trip home.

Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

How about the hankook icebear?

Quick Reply: Best Winter Tire For Your EVO!