Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire chains

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont wreck your evo !!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dude
I think you may have missed the boat on this one. As others here have said, you do not want to drive any car, on any road that will get below freezing on Summer Tires.

There's a reason summer tires come with those explicit warnings about not driving on them anywhere near freezing temperatures. Trust me, I know firsthand. When I moved out here from Alabama I was driving on summer race tires. Even though the roads were perfectly clean without a trace of snow, it was still below freezing, and if you can imagine an evo on ice skates, that was me just trying to make it to my new home in one piece. All seasons went on the next day.

So the moral of the story is this: it doesn't matter whether you have chains or not, your stated summer tires are going to be dangerous regardless of how much snow, or lack thereof is on the ground. So buy some cheap winter tires and have them mounted on a set of stock rims. Both can be found relatively cheaply in the classifieds here, and even though it is an expense, it is much cheaper than wrecking your car and potentially yourself and others around you.
Agreed,

When I bought my evo during winter time I drove around for three days on summer tires that ish was not fun. One of those days happened to be during a snow storm. I just sucked it up and bought some all-season tires and I was good.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-ev0-ate
dont wreck your evo !!
i wont!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:51 PM

I'm running the Yokohama W drive tires this winter and they have been great so far.

You should take a look at those. not too expensive ether.

Last edited by Smike; Dec 27, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Alright so I made it up to seaside,Oregon everything up went well, hit a spot of black ice it was a experience lol got a lil squerrly but it was fine, after I corrected it I look off the side of the hill, two cars that hit the same ice went off down about 15-20 feet to the on ramp, got to say my awd did help IMO , wish me luck on my way home after the new year!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:32 AM

I think you will be fine on the way back as well. I went to new york in March of last year. It snowed up there and I was on some cheap fuzion ZRi dry weather tires. I was fine and only spun the tires when I tried. I did have a hell of a time foolin around in the snow though. Lots of fun