Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Will Mugen GP's fit an Evo IX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Mugen GP's fit an Evo IX?

Well, I know I'll take some bashing for this! I'm getting rid of my 2009 Civic SI to get (ANOTHER) Evo. It will be my 3rd Evo, I just can't stay away. I've owned lots of cars in my day, but I just keep coming back to the VIII/IX. Love those cars.

Anyway, I got a nice deal on a set of Mugen GP wheels, they are forged, strong, and light. The bolt pattern is right, but I'm concerned about the offset. (+48). Could I get these to work with the proper (high quality) spacer? I think they would look pretty awesome on an GG Evo IX.

Specs:

Rim Size 18x7.5J
Offset 48
Bolt Hole 114.3 (5 hole)
Recommended Tire Size 215/40ZR18 85W
Recommended Tire Pressure 36PSI
Weight 16.5 lbs each (out of box)

Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably - but not sure how the rim will clear the calipers.

I wanna say the stock offset is +38. I know a lot of people run Enkei's with a +40 offset and a 25mm spacer up front on on the track even. They'd be pretty tucked in the rear, you might need a small spacer back there too.

A 7.5" width isn't ideal; it's getting narrow and is narrower than stock. You could def go wider than a 215 on those.

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 4, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

offset is off, but it dosnt matter what it is, the spokes have to clear the caliper.. for instance my old enkei nto3+m 18x9.5 +27 required a 10mm spacer to fit over the caliper..

honestly, (not trying to be rude) but mugen wheels on an evo, pretty sure youd get made fun of HXC, sence mugen is a company that only makes parts for hondas. not to mention the width is terrible. such light wheels without wide tires you should have no problem spinning them! hahaha
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

No, they wont. Offset and width is too weak and won't clear the calipers unless you use spacers. Still, they're skinnier than factory wheels.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

It's only a half inch narrower. Where else can I get super light, strong, forged wheels for the price? I'm not planning on beating the car to death, just driving it and having fun
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Those wheels go for a big chunk of money in the Honda world. Sell them on honda-tech. Maybe someone has what you're looking for and they would want to trade. Take the cash and go buy a set of wheels that fit.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Haha Honda rims on an Evo...that's funny.

Why not put bicycle tires on the car?

Why does it have to be forged to make it on your car? Go get some Rotas if you're on a budget...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

What's funny is that you can't get a straight answer from someone knowledgeable, but you get a lot of opinions. They are very high quality wheels that look great and I got them for a steal. I'd love a set of Volk's but I'm not willing to spend that kinda money on wheels. Otherwise I'll just keep the BBS MR wheels.

Yes, they are Honda wheels, but don't say Honda on them anywhere. And to me, they look pretty sweet.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:50 PM
Account Disabled

keep the stock BBS MR wheels.

These Mugen wheels belong on Honda/Acura.

Even if you want to put on your EVO, you would need some spacers.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

its blasphemy! lol... so you rather sacrifice .5" and TRY to make them work just because you like them?? to each their own...but you can sell those GPs for a good chunk of change on 8thcivic.com or whatever then turn around and get something with correct width and offset.

those will fit on the rear but you will not be able to run those on the front without a massive spacer.

Enkei RPF1s and NT03+Ms are relatively cheap and look great. plenty of good deals on gramlights or SSRs.....

best of luck...kinda like throwing STi wheels on your evo and rockin them. it works, but isnt quite right. HAHA!

Sean
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

+1 don't do it.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Lol thanks guys I get the point
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rgonyer
Yes, they are Honda wheels, but don't say Honda on them anywhere. And to me, they look pretty sweet.
Mugen = Honda...there is nothing else that Mugen associates with.

I have no idea how much these are but, if you're on a budget, look into Rotas. They're cast but they copy all the popular styles. And trust me, unless you're racing HPDEs on these rims, there is absolutely no reason to get forged rims. Take my word for it, you won't notice a damn thing on the streets

Like someone said earlier, if you got a good deal on those, turn around and rape some Honda fanboy on them haha. Those guys are willing to pay any price if it says Mugen or Spoon on it. Depending on how much they're worth, you can maybe look into some Volks or something...

EDIT x2: Didn't notice you have BBS MR rims...dude powdercoat those things black and stick some 255 tires on there. One of the sickest rim setups I've ever seen on an Evo...I would f'ing love to have a set of the BBS rims

Last edited by Babs; Feb 4, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Babs
I have no idea how much these are but, if you're on a budget, look into Rotas. They're cast but they copy all the popular styles. And trust me, unless you're racing HPDEs on these rims, there is absolutely no reason to get forged rims. Take my word for it, you won't notice a damn thing on the streets
I disagree 100% with this - but to each his own.

I know of several cast rims that have cracked under normal street use. Alas, I don't want to turn this thread into a debate - so to each his own.
I know even the stockers can bend and even nice forged rims will degrade in time.

Quick Reply: Will Mugen GP's fit an Evo IX?