Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

ABS Problem?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the same problem. Now I will double check the tone rings before changing the ECU. Thanks guys.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I removed the fuse for the ABS Im assuming this wouldnt put any stress on the acd because the differential wouldnt work normally?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been discussed in many other threads, the tone ring is not offered seperately... Axles aren't cheap new, but take a look on here, I bought a rear axle for around $100 shipped, and those are more expensive and harder to get a hold of than the fronts. Just when you get a hold of one, before agreeing on price/sending money.. ENSURE that the tone ring has no chips, cracks, splits etc.

Happy Axle hunting!!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Been discussed in many other threads, the tone ring is not offered seperately... Axles aren't cheap new, but take a look on here, I bought a rear axle for around $100 shipped, and those are more expensive and harder to get a hold of than the fronts. Just when you get a hold of one, before agreeing on price/sending money.. ENSURE that the tone ring has no chips, cracks, splits etc.

Happy Axle hunting!!
Thanks for all the info. I noticed around the forum that there has been quite a few people having this similar problem. Is this a weak point for the Evo? You figure in a rally enthusiast based car they wouldnt put the ring on the outside of the axle where it could easily be damaged by an abbrupt smack of the wheel. I was only going 10 mph max when this happend.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:10 PM

Oh good. Usually it goes like this. If the dealer has the ring available then you just replace the ring but if it is not available than you have to replace an axle. Wow that was not to bad compare to the module. Did you have to pay for diagnostics? If so how much?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

no idea about it being a weak point, maybe just a quirk... if I smacked a curb at 10mph.. I'd expect some damage to the car, just me perhaps... I didn't need any diagnostics, aside from finding out what wheel was the issue, sounds like the OP already knows that.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! Just curious, did you tell the first dealer you hit a curb? That would make a big difference in how they being diagnosis. If you did the tone ring would be the first thing I would check. I saw it happen on a 997 at my dealer. Glad you got a second opinion, a lot cheaper.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
no idea about it being a weak point, maybe just a quirk... if I smacked a curb at 10mph.. I'd expect some damage to the car, just me perhaps... I didn't need any diagnostics, aside from finding out what wheel was the issue, sounds like the OP already knows that.

I was not talking to you and by the way you said that you did not needed any diagnostics, aside from finding out what wheel was the issues...........what do you think mechanics do to find out the problem? They do their diagnostic and tell you what it is. It does not matter if the problem is noise or wiper not working good the word diagnostics apply to everything.

And the OP had no idea what it was and had to take his car to 2 dealers to find out what it is. I told him it could be the ring in post #6.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

My simple point is that it can be found out with a short length of wire in your garage, to short out the correct OBD2 pin to ground, and count the blinking lights. I was just offering this input to save the cost that a dealer charges for this simple 'diagnostic' work. $50-100 isn't uncommon, and it can be done in any of our garages for a 10cent piece of wire.

NO offense meant or taken, was again offering up help as able. Be well.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:58 PM

Wink

No offense taking. Happy boosting.