Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

ABS Problem?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Problem?

I have an 05 Evo VIII and about a week ago I was playing aroud in the snow and slid out a little too far and smacked my passenger side rear wheel on a curb. I immediately got out to look at the damage as I expected my wheel to be horribly bent. The only thing it did was just bend the outer lip of my stock Enkei wheel.

Now the ABS Problem: Right after I hit the wheel in a matter of minutes of normal driving the orange Anti-Lock light came up and now my abs Doesn't work. What stumps me is when I shut the car off and wait awhile and start it back up the light is gone but when I drive the car and even on dry pavement and just barely touch my brakes like at a stop light the ABS kicks in and the brakes act as if they are on snow or losing grip. It continues to do this for a few blocks and then the Anti-Lock Light returns and the car acts as if I dont have ABS.

Anyone ever heard of this problem?

Last edited by Midnightevo8; Feb 10, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:52 AM

how hard did u smack the curb
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:01 PM

I hit it at about 10 to 15 mph max...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:16 PM

same happened to me but it was wit the front passenger wheel. i bent my axle id check if you did more damage than just ur wheel
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:16 PM

Put the car in the air and look if you can see anything broken such as the Abs sensor. On top of that you need to do 4 wheel alignment. If you dont see anything being broken you will need to see what codes are in the memory of the computer so it will point you in the right direction. You can get you codes scanned at local auto-zone for free usually and then you can research the code online and see what could be the causes. I dont remember if the sensor is part of the bearing or it is alone. Because if it is part of the bearing which you could possible damage by hitting something than it will cost you a lot more than a simple repair. If you have a dead sensor than try to spin the wheel and see if the sensor is producing any voltage if not than thats what it is. But inspect and get the codes first.

I hope it made any sense.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:18 PM

sometimes the abs ring on the axle comes off and you can also loose a signal because the ring is spinning on the axle when the axle is turning.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

same thing happened to me ... i needed a new hub, knuckle, control arm, AND A NEW ABS SENSOR
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:30 PM

Well I actually took it to my closest mitsubishi dealer and they usually are pretty cool they have did some warranty work for me before but now that im towards the 60,000 mile mark and warranty is almost up it seems like there getting a bit more sensitive and dont want to warranty it. They said that none of the abs sensors were sending a signal so that they think the actual abs control box is bad? Which to me soudns like there just guessing and there wanting to throw parts at it until its fixed. The abs control box through them was somewhere around $1200 "Mitsubishi". Im sure if that indeed is the problem i could probably find one from a totaled car or online for half that. Im resseting my ECU right now and then can i get the code from Evoscan?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:28 PM

so you're still in warranty but they want you to pay for parts??
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by YellowFever
same thing happened to me ... i needed a new hub, knuckle, control arm, AND A NEW ABS SENSOR
Same thing here. Upper and lower control arms, ABS sensor, wheel speed sensor, knuckle, hub. Went through insurance for a total of $3,800. That included tires, a new wheel and alignment. It's all aluminum back there, so it can be hard to notice if all that damage is done.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:17 PM

Wow $3800! Before that happends I think I would consider taking out ABS. I had it aligned today and they said everything looked good. Tomorrow im going to try another mitsu dealership and see what they say.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that the 60k was drivetrain warranty, I wouldn't think the ABS would fall under that, maybe it does.Either way, from having an ABS issue myself in the past month or two, it was a split tone ring, solution was simply replacing the axle, if that is all your issue is, then I'd just do it myself, unless they will cover it under warranty, which I'd doubt. That would be like having a car for 10k miles, crashing it, and saying "fix this under warranty" when it is user fault that hit a curb and caused the issue, I'm not sure they would cover it. Good luck, and keep everyone posted.You can get the ABS code by simply grounding pin 1 of the OBDII port, and turning the car to 'on' (without starting it) and counting the number of blinks (long = ten place; short = one place).. i.e. two long blinks, followed by 3 short.. = code 23. etc.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:18 PM

Hold on I did not understand something. The ABS Module did not read the signal from the all the sensors or the sensors did not produce any voltage? Because it is highly not possible for all the sensors not producing any voltage but if the Module does not see it than it might be a bad ABS Module. You have to check if their is proper connections at the module such as power and ground. Anyways if they say it is than maybe they have checked all of that and it might be the module. Something to keep in mind which again I am not sure how it is in the Evo since I never had to fix that on my car but some modules are program or you can call it married to the original vin number that it was program from the factory so you might not be able to just swap it with a used one and some just need to be reprogram so it can communicate with the other modules.

Good Luck and please post what fix the problem.
Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Midnightevo8
Well I actually took it to my closest mitsubishi dealer and they usually are pretty cool they have did some warranty work for me before but now that im towards the 60,000 mile mark and warranty is almost up it seems like there getting a bit more sensitive and dont want to warranty it. They said that none of the abs sensors were sending a signal so that they think the actual abs control box is bad? Which to me soudns like there just guessing and there wanting to throw parts at it until its fixed. The abs control box through them was somewhere around $1200 "Mitsubishi". Im sure if that indeed is the problem i could probably find one from a totaled car or online for half that. Im resseting my ECU right now and then can i get the code from Evoscan?
I got a similar response from mitsu a couple years ago got an abs module from a wrecked car for 100 bucks everything back to norm after that.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:51 PM

Today I took it to the other mitsu dealer and they took me into the shop and the speed ring has chipped teeth. Figures, I should have known, a few other people on here had a similar problem when hitting a curb. Can you just replace the ring, or do you have to replace the axle? and if you can replace the ring does anyone know where to buy one? The dealer said that they wont just do the ring, probably because the axle install would be much easier and they would make more $.

Quick Reply: ABS Problem?