Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

ABS issue after accident

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS issue after accident

Background Story: Skip below for the issue
So got into a little bang up on the ride home from school today... I was on a road that has no median and a car coming towards me spun out and went straight at me. I tried to maneuver out of the way but wound up losing control myself when i hit a patch of slush in the inbetween lanes. Spun 180 and went driverside first into the curb. Cracked up both driverside rims but the tires were fine, the abs light is on too... Alignment seems fine when i had the tires switched to the stock bbs's but two enkei's down... The guy who lost control never even tapped the curb or anything, he just turned around and took off. Since the first thing I did was check out the car to make sure it was okay I didn't get a plate or anything. Best part about it is no one stopped to even ask if I was okay. I probably hit the curb at about 20mph cause I was doing about 30mph due to bad weather.

Thankfully I am okay however I can't figure out whats wrong with the abs, the car stops fine however when i turn off the car and turn it back on and drive a bit the pedal pulses as if the abs is kicking in with light braking.. then the light comes on and it goes away... Any ideas?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look for a broken abs sensor ring on the drivshaft.
Make sure its not loose or spinning on the drivshaft.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:31 AM

I have the same problem. I oversteered in the snow and the driver side rear wheel hit the curb from the side. The rim was then bent on the side, the same width as the curb. Tire was fine. I have replaced the rim. Now I experience the pulsating of the brakes as if abs was kicking in and it's under normal braking, not hard braking. This happens when I first start the car or restart it. After a few minutes the abs light comes on and it brakes fine.
Could the abs sensor for the rear drive side be broken?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:00 PM

The rings snap or and loose teeth .
Its like the knuckle flexes and the sensor collides with the ring momentarily just to do damage sometimes to both the sensor and the ring.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

My car does the same thing only i didnt get into an accident. It is my right rear abs sensor that is bad. If you know anyone that has a obd-2 scan tool then you will be able to hook up the scan tool to find out which sensor is bad and then youll have to replace the sensor. If you arent planning on replacing the sensor for awhile then you can go into the engine compartment and remove the abs sensor and it will stop pulsing under normal braking. You will have an abs sensor light on in your guages. And if you take out that fuse then you wont have abs obviously. So be careful.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:47 PM

Hi
Take used evo9 with same problems
When I push pedal... Abs start pulse on pedal
And car start spining like "use handbrake"
No signal light on dashboard
when I take out abs fuse - light turn on and brakes are perfect!!!

So I change all abs sensors. Abs modulator with abs ecu
But have same problem
I don't change driveshafts, but rings in good condition
Mut3 don't see any errors from abs
(((((
???????