Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake pads?

it has come to the time again where i have to change my brake pads on my evo..are there any good NO squeak low dust great stop brakes???
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
RacingBrake ET500

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed with Kracka. Racing Brake's lineup of pads and rotors are great and very affordable. Anything from mild ET-300 to wild ET-900. I do recommend the ET-500s for street and auto-x use...

I can point you to a very good source with great pricing if you wanna send me a pm.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Girodisc Magic..

Have about 7000 miles on my Girodisc Magic pads. Fairly inexpensive, perfectly quiet (ZERO noise) and hardly make any dust.

My only complaint is they lack a bit of the 'bite' the stock pads had. I should point out that my evaluation is based on typical day-to-day street use.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
chu
Evolved Member

I also had the Girodisc Magic pads after hering all the raves about them. Ran them for 7 months, and hate every minute of it. Sure they are affordable, quiet, and have minimal dust, but they also lack stopping power. Initial bite is horrible. The pads definitely leave soemthing to be desired!

Last edited by chu; Feb 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've been on Magic Pads for approx 1.5 years and while I'd agree that they don't have quite the bite of the stockers, they are close. I'd say the lack of noise and dust more than makes up for the small difference in bite.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:41 PM

Loved the hawk pads and the bb we had usually, and had ebc pads for awhile too, but not as good as the hawks, its also been 4 yrs since I had to put pads on an evo, things may have changed here since then.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:43 PM

I rock Stillens and they squeak from time to time. Just FYI if you see them anywhere. Also, I've used redstuff and, though they were silent, I burnt them out in about 6k miles. Those damned things are too expensive to go in less than 10k, imo.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hawk DTC-30's.
Great for track, and good initial bite for street. Pretty good on rotors from what I hear, and not much noises.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

i heard those DTC-30's are pretty good on the sti's too but i know i like the RB ET500's myself
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Im rocking RacingBrake ET 700 and love them. Have had them on my car for over a year now and they have nice initial bite. I heard they bite even harder when fully warmed up on the tracks.
I just wanted a set of brakes that I could track a couple times a year, and also daily drive with NO SQUEAKS! and RB did its job for me.

ALSO, this brakes are very low dust. for example, I get the same amount of dust from stockers (2 days driving to work 30 miles Round Trip) compared to RB ET700 7 days round trip

Last edited by benniboi08; Feb 25, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:34 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've tried three types of pads with my EvoIX:

DS2500 - good bite, relatively high price, low speed braking squeeze; conclusion - good pads if you don't care much about sounds and track your car from time to time
OEM Brembo (used two sets of those) - acceptable bite (especially while cold, as compared to other pads), silent, expensive; conclusion - there are better choices (i.e. same quality for half of the price)
Girodisc Magics - acceptable bite for DD, not acceptable for tracking at all (don't work in very hot conditions), silent; conclusion - great choice if you DD your car and do not require high performance and aggressive braking

Next set of pads I'll use will be RB ET700 - based on all the reviews it is expected to perfectly fit my needs (relatively affordable price, ability to handle heat, silence and good bite).
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:31 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Its great to hear positive reviews on the Racing Brake pads. They're not huge in the Evo community, but people are starting to learn about their products.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"DS2500 - good bite, relatively high price, low speed braking squeeze; conclusion - good pads if you don't care much about sounds and track your car from time to time
OEM Brembo (used two sets of those) - acceptable bite (especially while cold, as compared to other pads), silent, expensive; conclusion - there are better choices (i.e. same quality for half of the price)
Girodisc Magics - acceptable bite for DD, not acceptable for tracking at all (don't work in very hot conditions), silent; conclusion - great choice if you DD your car and do not require high performance and aggressive braking"

I agree with vd's statements, as well. I personally thought the OEM Brembo's were pretty good, but they're just too expensive.

I'd be interested to hear anybody using the Pagid RS 4-2-1. Supposedly an (expensive) OE street pad used for high end vehicles (Porsche, Audi, etc.)
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

You might want to add that the DS2500 wears down extremely fast.