Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

JIC FLT-TAR Coilover thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Helper springs are....ummm....helpful.

They help add droop travel (extension) and keep the main spring from being preloaded and keep the main spring from getting unseated from the perch when the damper is fully extended.

Not as necessary on dual height adjustable coilovers, but still nice.

- Andrew
I c. Thanks for the explanation. Are the JIC's dual height adjustable? When you say that, what does that mean exactly? The only thing i knew of was ride height adjustment at the Locking Spring Seat.

What would you guys say a good ride height would be for street and track use? I want it to be aggressive, but not as low as my Tein S-Techs(which IMO are a little too low).

Thanks again for all the replies. You guys are really helping understand this much better. Please forgive the newbie *** questions i keep asking.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dual height adjustable coilovers let you adjust ride height at the spring perch, but also at the lower mount. This lets you lower the car without affecting bump travel, which is nice, but you also have very little droop travel, which isn't nice. It's often seen and always marketed as a great feature to have but in my opinion it is not necessarily something to look for. Most single height adjustable coilovers (only the spring perch is adjustable) actually have just as much or more bump travel for most realistic ride heights, but also much more droop travel when used with a helper spring. But if you want to slam the car though, dual height adjustable is the way to go.

You're right S-techs are too low....depending on spring rates and what you intend to do with the car, about an inch to 1.5 inches lower than stock is the range you should be in.

I personally am not a JIC fan, but Mueller's are probably fine.

- Andrew
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Dual height adjustable coilovers let you adjust ride height at the spring perch, but also at the lower mount. This lets you lower the car without affecting bump travel, which is nice, but you also have very little droop travel, which isn't nice. It's often seen and always marketed as a great feature to have but in my opinion it is not necessarily something to look for. Most single height adjustable coilovers (only the spring perch is adjustable) actually have just as much or more bump travel for most realistic ride heights, but also much more droop travel when used with a helper spring. But if you want to slam the car though, dual height adjustable is the way to go.

You're right S-techs are too low....depending on spring rates and what you intend to do with the car, about an inch to 1.5 inches lower than stock is the range you should be in.

I personally am not a JIC fan, but Mueller's are probably fine.

- Andrew
Again, thanks for the info. I can't seem to find info on the JIC's being single or dual ride height adjustable. Do you know for sure which they are?

I appreciate your opinions.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem. Fairly sure they're dual height adjustable.

- drew
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, ended up getting a set of JIC FLT-TAR coilovers (hard version) w/ 10kF/14kR. Got them installed and got everything pretty much set-up. Ride height is about 1.8f/0.9r now and i'm currently running 5 clicks from full-hard all around. I think i'm going to raise the rear-end just a tad though. Have not gotten an alignment yet, but it looks like i'm running about -2.5f/-1.8r .

Wow, these coilovers are great. The car handles amazing After installation today, i went to one of my secret spots to do some testing. What suprised me, was that the car handles very neutral. Hardly any understeer or oversteer and very little body roll. Very predictable when pushed to the edge. I actually would like a little more oversteer, so i'm gonna get a good alignment and work on making the ***-end rotate just a little more on corner exit. Any thing i should think about to make the ***-end rotate better? I don't want it unpredictable, but i do want a little more oversteer.

With damper settings 5 clicks from full hard all around, the car rides very stiff, but yet still very comfortable. I'm not sure if i should try running it a little softer.

Suspension mods:
JIC Magic Flt-Tar coilovers (Hard version, 10kf/14kr)
Stock Rear Sway Bar
Stock Front Sway bar

Any thoughts on making this set-up even better? I'm really enjoying the car's handling at the moment, although i do feel i can probably set it up better.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Can anybody give me some advice on ride height? I really want to get my ride height set-up perfectly before i get the alignment done, or else it will be a waste. I'm thinking i might still be a little too low. It's a little taller on all 4 sides then my ****ty Tein S.Tech's. But much tighter, so i have very little sag and the rear end is much less mushy.

So, what's the optimal ride height i should shoot for? I know some of this is personal preference, but there is some science to it regarding roll-center and geometry being thrown off...etc.

Thanks for all your help fellas.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I sure hope JIC improved their design. I had a set that were complete garbage. Rebuilds are pricey too. Don't get them wet or drive with them in any kind of bad weather....they will decay pretty badly.

So as for your ride height question.....it really is up to you. I would not recommend going any lower than your lower control arms parallel with the ground.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know about ride height. but definatley get a 25mm rear sway
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
I sure hope JIC improved their design. I had a set that were complete garbage. Rebuilds are pricey too. Don't get them wet or drive with them in any kind of bad weather....they will decay pretty badly.

So as for your ride height question.....it really is up to you. I would not recommend going any lower than your lower control arms parallel with the ground.
Wow, i'm not sure if they have or not. What version were you running and how long ago was this?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Last year....FLA IIs. I won't go into detail....needless to say I sent them in for a rebuild because the bottom knob broke on one and the other locked up. I was told they were in an accident because of the damage to them.....I was never in an accident....they just got damaged from daily driving.

I won't buy JIC again.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iTune
Can anybody give me some advice on ride height?
This is a very tricky question. If you want exactly the right answer, it's going to depend on springrate, tire choice, surface, temperature, and a lot of other things. For a street car, 1" lower than stock is a pretty sweet spot. You probably want to lower the rear the _same_ amount as the front; something like 14.5" F, 13.5" R measured hub center to fender lip.

d
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iTune

Any thoughts on making this set-up even better? I'm really enjoying the car's handling at the moment, although i do feel i can probably set it up better.
look into the whiteline roll center adjustment kit (found here), a rear sway bar, a corner weight balance, a proper alignment, and get those coilovers muellerized!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:23 PM

decent

entry level coilover
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Get a corner balance and alignment. For the most part, if it is a good alignment shop, they will do it all for you so long as you give them a ballpark and an intended use (basically DD, mixed use, or race aggressive) and they should handle camber and ride height to something appropriate. The one important point I was always told is you want the lower A arms to keep a negative angle to the ground, ie pointed down or at the lowest ride height perpendicular to the ground. Any lower and the geometry goes to hell.

FWIW, I have Endura Tech coilovers and I would say I am moderately pleased with them. I got them cheap and I think they did improve handling a touch but they are reasonably stiff (even lower rates than you). From everything I have read, and GTWORX said this before, a real quality suspension set up is not inherently harsh. Some of the highly adjustable, perfectly valved coilovers will have incredible spring rates and yet have a good ride. For the cheaper deals, it is one or the other...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up raising the ride height again today. I have lower A-arms level with the ground(actually slightly pointed down). I only had to raise everything about a quarter inch. The right side needed to come up a little more, as it was slightly lower than the left. I did a rough camber adjustment using a string and a weight(mostly to get the sides even), as i'm going to get the car aligned next week, the car was pulling slightly to the right due to more negative camber on the left side than right. The pulling went away and the car does feel more balanced(mostly due to ride height methinks). I'm anxious to get it aligned.

I appreciate everyone's input. It's really helped me with my decision and set-up. I also softned the rear by 1 click(5 clicks from full hard in front, 6 in rear). I will play around with the damper settings more this weekend. I think i can go a little softer in both front and rear.

Quick Reply: JIC FLT-TAR Coilover thoughts?