Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

JIC FLT-TAR Coilover thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JIC FLT-TAR Coilover thoughts?

Hello. This question is for the serious suspension gurus. What are your thoughts on the JIC FLT-TAR Coilovers? I have searched and didn't come up with much on this site about them.

My Evo is a DD but sees occasional track time(road racing) along with spirited mountain driving. I don't mind the stiff ride at all. I'm looking at the 10k/14k hard version with helper springs. Does anybody know what rebuild support there is for these in the states?

I'm a former dyno tuner, so i know very little about suspension. I'm currently using the Tein S-Techs and stock GSR struts. I HATE this combination and have to do something about it. I know a lot of people have complained that the Tein S-techs have blown out their stock struts. I don't have this problem, but i can tell my struts are close to the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Cary
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are a good mid-range coilover with good quality and performance along with decent adjustability.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm running JIC's - but they've had the Muellerized treatments. I can tell you he uses different spring rates for them than what you listed - but I can't say what. I've had really good results on the track with them. The car is predictable, near neutral and the rebound adjustments really make a difference even with 1 click. If you want specifics/results look in my sig for links.

I'm not sure what the JIC's run if you buy them direct, but Mueller will do his treatment to them and I believe they sell for $2k which is a helluva bargain imo.

10/14 is pretty stiff. I had a previous set of coilovers with those rates and I did DD it some. It was firm to be sure - but I always thought the Evo was firm!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, thanks for the replies. Yeah, i prefer a firm ride anyway. To me, the Evo should be firm, even on the street. It's the price you must pay for insane handling.

Does anybody know how easy it is to have the JIC's re-valved/rebuilt here in the states? I want to make sure, when the time comes, that i'll be able to have them serviced. Any idea on how many miles before typical rebuild?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iTune
Cool, thanks for the replies. Yeah, i prefer a firm ride anyway. To me, the Evo should be firm, even on the street. It's the price you must pay for insane handling.

Does anybody know how easy it is to have the JIC's re-valved/rebuilt here in the states? I want to make sure, when the time comes, that i'll be able to have them serviced. Any idea on how many miles before typical rebuild?

Thanks again!
Not necessarily....the best handling EVO's i've driven were not that harsh.

If you're sure you want JIC's, I would only do the Muellerized ones as I'm not crazy about standard JIC valving. Plus you get a little more support and help from someone who specializes in EVOs. Call and talk to him.

- Andrew
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com

If you're sure you want JIC's, I would only do the Muellerized ones as I'm not crazy about standard JIC valving. Plus you get a little more support and help from someone who specializes in EVOs. Call and talk to him.

- Andrew
^^ Yeah I forget to mention that. Mueller's JIC's are a step above anything else (JIC wise) you'll find.

That being said, there's a lot of other options out there too to look at. GTWorx there really knows their stuff!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

as far as rebuilding the jic/s there is a JIC USA located in california or arizona i believe. so shipping them back to them wouldnt be that big of problem. but i sounds like the aftermarket option sounds good too. mueller's deal. good luck.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

for 2k I;d get the Bilstein PSS9's. If my wife buys Evo next year I'm going to give her my BC Racing coilover set up and these are what I'm going with next.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com

- Andrew
Andrew,

Thanks for chiming in. Forgive my ignorance, but what get's changed when you speak of different valving? I am looking at a new set of JIC FLT TAR's from a private seller. So, the price is well under 2k.

This set comes with helper springs already installed. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of using these?

Thanks a ton!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LVmevo
as far as rebuilding the jic/s there is a JIC USA located in california or arizona i believe. so shipping them back to them wouldnt be that big of problem. but i sounds like the aftermarket option sounds good too. mueller's deal. good luck.
What does Mueller do to the coilovers? I'm a suspension newbie. Former dyno tuner, so this is a new world for me. I never had to deal with suspension, other than somebody else's setup. Some of you that frequent the Engine and ECUFlash threads may know me. I'm new on the suspension side though. So, go easy on me...haha.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

John mueller revalves thim with his own valving and custom spring rates.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

mueller sets the spring rates and valving to ur specific driving needs based on driving style whp tires etc
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iTune
What does Mueller do to the coilovers? I'm a suspension newbie. Former dyno tuner, so this is a new world for me. I never had to deal with suspension, other than somebody else's setup. Some of you that frequent the Engine and ECUFlash threads may know me. I'm new on the suspension side though. So, go easy on me...haha.
Originally Posted by FTY Motorsports
mueller sets the spring rates and valving to ur specific driving needs based on driving style whp tires etc
Yep.

robi does the same to his KW's and JRZ does the same with their product. Think of it like dyno-tuning a car per the specific mods and needs (street/drag/strip).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Yep.

robi does the same to his KW's and JRZ does the same with their product. Think of it like dyno-tuning a car per the specific mods and needs (street/drag/strip).
Word. Makes sense, thanks for your help guys. One last thing, can anybody please better explain to me if i should use the helper springs or not?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Helper springs are....ummm....helpful.

They help add droop travel (extension) and keep the main spring from being preloaded and keep the main spring from getting unseated from the perch when the damper is fully extended.

Not as necessary on dual height adjustable coilovers, but still nice.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: JIC FLT-TAR Coilover thoughts?