Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Crappy alignment... Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crappy alignment... Need advice!

While I was out of state I let my Dad take care of the beast. It needed alignment after the new tires I bought so he took it to Firestone despite me warning him not too From what my pops told me he said they told him that the Evo uses the same specs as the regular lancers. Well my dad listened to their **** and even took their "these type of agressive sports cars need alignment every 3 months to be in top shape" so he bought their lifetime alignment warranty. The first time the car pulled to the right a day after so he took it in to get fixed. Take a look:

When I got back I test drove it to find out how disgusting my car handles. The car pulls the right and feels like **** when trying to take a corner. I don't feel safe driving this thing in a spirited manner. I plan to take it to Firestone for one more try and if they fail I am going to ask for a refund for my Dad on the lifetime alignment and tell them to stop with their ****ty lies.

But I need advice on what specifications for them to do. I got Star Spec tires and stock suspensions. I read the stock alignment is bad (plus I couldn't even find the EXACT specs in a sea of alignment threads when I searched lol) so any suggestions? Going tomorrow morning to talk to them about their crappy job.

Last edited by IXToes; Feb 25, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

from what i read if im correct the toe all the way around shud be zero. look up threads by smikevo he has some good threads on alignment specs
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The firestone you went to is incompetent. I have the lifetime Firestone warranty and use the hell out of it. Firestone changed to Hunter brand alignment racks a few years back and they get it within factory specs. Also, they will not cater to your request on settings for fear of liability issues. At least mine didn't even when I tried to bribe. Zero the toe out and try negative 2 degrees of camber up front.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebanana23
The firestone you went to is incompetent. I have the lifetime Firestone warranty and use the hell out of it. Firestone changed to Hunter brand alignment racks a few years back and they get it within factory specs. Also, they will not cater to your request on settings for fear of liability issues. At least mine didn't even when I tried to bribe. Zero the toe out and try negative 2 degrees of camber up front.
this.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

thats wierd u dont like it... i work at pepboys and did my own alignments on the evo.. and i basically came out with the same thing..i had lowering springs though..but it def went straight... i bet that they did "win toe" and didnt lock steering wheel..
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Much fail here.

Take it back, has a lifetime right

Tell them to ignore the preset Lancer settings.

You want -2 camber up front (you may have to swap the camber bolt to have the marker pointing in the other direction) and -1 to -1.5 rear camber. NO TOE (they can do it - will take more time). No thrust angle.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I think -2 is too much for normal street driving. You will get camber wear (I wasted a set of good tires on a 800 mile trip that way, and yes, my toe was 0). I recommend going with something like -1.2 front -1 rear.

-2 is good for aggressive street driving, if you commute is mostly curvy roads as opposed to straight or if you auto-x or track the car and are willing to sacrifice some tire life for the added performance.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Tire rotation and flipping is paramount with -2 front camber. I tend to lean towards aggressive street setups My SVTF has lots of camber too, lots of tire rotations

I ran -1.7-8 on my Evo, I typically got 15k out of my Z1s and Z1*s
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

What suspension does the OP have?

The right rear TOE got worse than before.