Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

High Speed Noise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Speed Noise

Recently I was driving my car on the freeway and all the sudden a loud whirring noise came from the front passenger side of the car. I instantly took it out of gear and let the RPM's drop to see if that changed the noise, but no change. I noticed the noise was speed dependant and when it went over a small expansion joint the whirring went away for a moment.

I started to pull off at the next exit and the noise went away completely like someone had turned something off. I got out and checked everything but it all looked ok. All the lug nuts were tight (I checked them when I got home with a torque wrench) and the tire was up to pressure. Got back in the car and drove it the rest of the way home without any more problems.

Next day on the way to work it made the noise again, but only for a few seconds. Again it was like a light switch, one moment just cruising along at around 65-70 with no noises, next moment "WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRR", then about 5 seconds later all quiet again. Since then it's done it two more times, both times at free way speeds, and all times it's been speed dependant and changed pitch over bumps. I can't think of anything I'm doing to cause or end it since I'm going in a straight line on level road.

One thing to note, I did just change my wheel bearing for that corner yesterday since it was making the normal roaring noise, but on the test drive I got the noise for about 2 seconds when I took it up to free way speeds. After the noise stopped I took the car up to 80, down to 60, and varied in between several times to see if I could cause it again, but no dice.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait, does the car make the noise with the new wheel bearing in?

Also, to see if its tire related. Swap that tire to another corner.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Wait, does the car make the noise with the new wheel bearing in?

Also, to see if its tire related. Swap that tire to another corner.
It does make the noise with the new wheel bearing. I'll be driving it about 20 miles tomorrow so it should be another good test. I'll put the tire on the back and see if the noise follows it.

One thing I did think about, the fender liner in that wheel well is a bit messed up from a previous owners accident and the undertray is missing. I've thought it might be wind noise, but the fact that it comes and goes without any noticable changes is what's confusing.