Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Pulsating/Shaking after coilover+rim/tire install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulsating/Shaking after coilover+rim/tire install

So, a couple weeks ago i put in Stance GR+Pro Coilovers and 17x9.5 rota p45r's with 255/40/17 z1 StarSpecs, and in first and second at low RPMs it when i give it gas theres a pulsating/shaking when accelerating. The things that pop into my hear are.

A- Clutch is slipping because of wide, bigger tires
B- Axle is slipping

Can anyone help me out?
I really hope its not my transmission
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure on those spacers but did you extend your wheel studs? Not sure if those are good spacers or not but cheapo ones might not set properly hub centric or lug centric etc. Someone else can go into details but I am not up to snuff with that. I remember my Galant the wheels were lug centric so they needed to be tightened perfectly or they would wobble.

Lugs torqued properly
Tires balance properly?
I really don't think it is a clutch since you would rev with out going anywhere, axles would click more than wobble before it snaps and you would know if it snaps.

I really think it has to do with the wheel/tires more than anything else.

Try swapping the stockers back on and see if that changes anything. Best place to start.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm this only happens on accel in low gears....this is usually a problem with drive axles or prop shafts...Does the steering wheel shake? If so your prob. is most likely in the front, whether it be axles, tires, etc. May be a dumb question but are the tires balanced properly? I have also seen separated tread on a tire cause this same issue...the tires are new i'm assuming, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen defective tires right out of the gate.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brent kuz
Not sure on those spacers but did you extend your wheel studs? Not sure if those are good spacers or not but cheapo ones might not set properly hub centric or lug centric etc. Someone else can go into details but I am not up to snuff with that. I remember my Galant the wheels were lug centric so they needed to be tightened perfectly or they would wobble.

Lugs torqued properly
Tires balance properly?
I really don't think it is a clutch since you would rev with out going anywhere, axles would click more than wobble before it snaps and you would know if it snaps.

I really think it has to do with the wheel/tires more than anything else.

Try swapping the stockers back on and see if that changes anything. Best place to start.
I didnt put spacers in.
I could always bring it somewhere to make sure theyre balanced properly, although i watched the the guy do it.

Originally Posted by JFuego777
Hmm this only happens on accel in low gears....this is usually a problem with drive axles or prop shafts...Does the steering wheel shake? If so your prob. is most likely in the front, whether it be axles, tires, etc. May be a dumb question but are the tires balanced properly? I have also seen separated tread on a tire cause this same issue...the tires are new i'm assuming, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen defective tires right out of the gate.
The steering wheel doesnt shake, i mean it shakes a really little bit on the highway, but nothing too crazy. And i think theyre balanced properly, i had them mounted and balanced all at once.
What do you mean seperated tread? yes the tires are brand new.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

The tread of a tire has several layers, and if the bond between those layers is weak, one layer might separate and cause a shake in the vehicle, even if the balance is correct
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it's the axles, I mean there are a TON of members running your set up and more aggressive and I've never seen a thread on pulsations and vibrations after the install. Maybe it's the alignment?