Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Trying to decide on street tire track pads...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to decide on street tire track pads...

I need to buy some track pads for the fronts that will work well with Ferodo DS2500s in the rear on street tires (Star Specs). After doing some research - including reading the sticky in this forum - I've preliminarily narrowed it down to Carbotech XP10s, PFC 97s, 01s, or Raybestos ST43s. I realize PFC has stopped producing the 97 but I'm concerned that the 01s would be too strong for street tires, and I've also read the dust is nigh-on impossible to remove. The XP10s sound like a good choice but I can't find many reviews on them. I've only read good things about the ST43s but again, it sounds like they're even higher torque than the 01s and would therefore be way too much for my tires.

The pads will mostly be used for HPDEs / lapping days rather than actual competition, though they'll probably see a couple time attack-style events. Opinions?

Last edited by 72Tornado; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard good things about Hawk DTC-30s as track pad with street manners.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've run Raybestos ST43 on stock advan tires and I thought they performed just fine. I use the same pads for my R-comps but brake later.

I suggest the ST43 or Carbotech XP12.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:27 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carbotech XP-10 and 12 are great track pads. Racign Brake ET-800 and 900 are also very good. I'm running the ET-800 myself!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
HT10 and HT14 can fit that bill too. I would look into the HT14s. I was at the limits of the HT10s on the same tires. Should have less tq than the ST43s, but retains the high MOT.

I'm testing the EBC Yellows this season. Ill review them once I get my first HPDE in (May 31st).
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
HT10 and HT14 can fit that bill too. I would look into the HT14s. I was at the limits of the HT10s on the same tires. Should have less tq than the ST43s, but retains the high MOT.

I'm testing the EBC Yellows this season. Ill review them once I get my first HPDE in (May 31st).
One of the our local Pittsburgh members has recommended these. Where did you get yours from?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

EBC They were giving them away to NASA / SCCA drivers for testing/sponsorship.

I am running the EBC Reds right now as my DD. Been impressed with them so far.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
EBC They were giving them away to NASA / SCCA drivers for testing/sponsorship.

I am running the EBC Reds right now as my DD. Been impressed with them so far.

Hows the usual characteristics such as brake dust, noise, etc? I've been running Hawk HPS for street and there is zero noise and minimal dust.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

HPS have no bite. Trust me, I ran them.

Reds have a ton of bite, not a lot of dust, and it comes off easy. Zero noise. I ran a half-dozen AXs last summer with them too. Worked great there.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

same boat, after researching for the past 2-3 days, i decided to give the st43 a try for the fronts and keep the ds2500 in the rear.

report back in.... 9 days (night event, cant wait!)
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for street and autox i run Axxis ultimates. Great pad and super cheap. Little noisy (and i mean barely) at low low speed when cold. Not too bad on rotors either and less dust than stock *at least around town). I run them on both my cars and couldn't be happier. MAP is the only dealer on the forum i know of but i am sure they have great prices.

That said i would not recommend them on a road course track as i suspect they will fade.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR Turco

That said i would not recommend them on a road course track as i suspect they will fade.
So basically, you didn't help the OP at all

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm saving some RA-1's I bought for select club events, and will run my 265/35/18 Z1 Star Specs at other HPDE's.

After pouring over the sticky (helpful) and this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...-thread-4.html

I am going to run the Raybestos ST43's. The RA-1's aren't as aggressive as some other R-Comps, so I feel they'll be fine on those tires, and not too aggressive for the Z1's. Honestly I can't give you actual feedback yet as I haven't run them (I did two HPDE style events last year on HP+ and that was scary)

Hope that helped!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
I need to buy some track pads for the fronts that will work well with Ferodo DS2500s in the rear on street tires (Star Specs). After doing some research - including reading the sticky in this forum - I've preliminarily narrowed it down to Carbotech XP10s, PFC 97s, 01s, or Raybestos ST43s. I realize PFC has stopped producing the 97 but I'm concerned that the 01s would be too strong for street tires, and I've also read the dust is nigh-on impossible to remove. The XP10s sound like a good choice but I can't find many reviews on them. I've only read good things about the ST43s but again, it sounds like they're even higher torque than the 01s and would therefore be way too much for my tires.

The pads will mostly be used for HPDEs / lapping days rather than actual competition, though they'll probably see a couple time attack-style events. Opinions?
I'm currently running carbotech xp-10s on the front of my EVO w/ds2500 in the rear. With my Z1 star specs (255/40/17 mounted on MR wheels - street setup) the XP10s have ALOT of bite. so much so that its very easy to get into the ABS if you're not careful when you first step on the brakes. they're alot of pad for street tires, even Z1's. Now, if you're comfortable with threshold braking they're great! IMO, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better pad for the job. But if your driving style is such that you want to just mash the brake pedal and not worry about ABS kicking in they might be too much pad for you unless you get some sticky-wider rubber.

On my 285/30/18 A6's (autox setup) they're wonderful. Thats really why I got them, I just drive them on the street like that because I'm too lazy to change pads back between events. They have instant bite and great modulation. I've only done one event with those tires so far on the EVO, but I've got thousands of street miles and a dozen or so HPDE events with them on my Z06 and know how well they perform.

One thing to take note; they do squeak and dust alot. however, the squeaking can be controlled with anti-squeal on the backs/sides/top of the pads and the brake dust is SUPER easy to remove. I've had dust sitting on some wheels for months and it still wipes right off with a dry rag. Ive seen some brake pad compounds DESTROY wheels with their corrosive dust if you don't remove it ASAP... not so with the carbotechs.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

btw, I've used the PCF-99's (the pre-cursor to the 01's) and they don't hold a candle to the XP-10s... not even close. I got a set on close-out a little bit ago and it only took one track day with them to change back to the carbotechs. Now I bring them with me to the track as a backup set to get me home incase I chew thru my XP-10s, which BTW are good right up to the backing plate.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I'm currently running carbotech xp-10s on the front of my EVO w/ds2500 in the rear. With my Z1 star specs (255/40/17 mounted on MR wheels - street setup) the XP10s have ALOT of bite. so much so that its very easy to get into the ABS if you're not careful when you first step on the brakes. they're alot of pad for street tires, even Z1's. Now, if you're comfortable with threshold braking they're great! IMO, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better pad for the job. But if your driving style is such that you want to just mash the brake pedal and not worry about ABS kicking in they might be too much pad for you unless you get some sticky-wider rubber.

On my 285/30/18 A6's (autox setup) they're wonderful. Thats really why I got them, I just drive them on the street like that because I'm too lazy to change pads back between events. They have instant bite and great modulation. I've only done one event with those tires so far on the EVO, but I've got thousands of street miles and a dozen or so HPDE events with them on my Z06 and know how well they perform.

One thing to take note; they do squeak and dust alot. however, the squeaking can be controlled with anti-squeal on the backs/sides/top of the pads and the brake dust is SUPER easy to remove. I've had dust sitting on some wheels for months and it still wipes right off with a dry rag. Ive seen some brake pad compounds DESTROY wheels with their corrosive dust if you don't remove it ASAP... not so with the carbotechs.
Thanks much for the info. Any idea how the torque of the XP10s compares to the Raybestos ST43s?

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on street tire track pads...