Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

help me choose an auto-x tire for street tire classing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do u guys mount your autoX tires on steelies? Or is there another cheaper wheel that u use?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xearo
do u guys mount your autoX tires on steelies? Or is there another cheaper wheel that u use?
How cheap do you want to be? Stockers are cheap and can fit up to 255. RPF1s does the job well, and widely available!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
How cheap do you want to be? Stockers are cheap and can fit up to 255. RPF1s does the job well, and widely available!
well i do like my hookers free. =)

it costs 50 to get my tires mounted so if i buy another set i was thinking it might be cheaper just to have a seperate wheel and tire setup that i can take to the autoX with me!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:39 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Get some stock VIII wheels for around $300-400, and throw good tires on ther!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

When you say "street tire class," what do you really mean? STU? Or you just want to autocross on street tires and don't necessarily care about class. If you actually want to be in a proper class on street tires, consider STU. Once you do a little research on STU, you will find all the info you need on what tires to run. If you don't care about being competitive in any class, are modded outside of a class like STU's rules and don't want to change your car to comply with class rules, then just get whatever size of a good street tire you want.

Z1 Star specs are pretty hard to beat though, especially for the value.

RT 615, at least the old one, is cheap, but not competitive with the others. Jury is out on the new compound, but it has a tough act to follow with the Star Spec, Bridgestone, and Advans.

Last edited by hokiruu; Apr 13, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:32 AM

I just started auto-x not too long ago, and I'm a novice still (only 1 race left as a novice). But my classification will be street mod. I plan on purchasing a set of falken Azenis RT-615 in 245/45 for the stock 8 wheels.

In the last 2 events, I havent done that well (even tho I'm a novice). I've been competeting on Pirelli P6 all season tires 235/45, and I've been getting feathering like a ****. The last event I did, it felt like the tire was gonna come off the rim...the sidewalls are uber soft.

Hopefully, the azenis tires will improve my course times. I'm getting those because

1) I've heard they are the ****
2) Since the K version has come out, the originals have gotten really cheap.

I've heard good things about the dunlop star specs, but the price delta doesnt justify the slight edge in performance IMO.

I figure I'll run with the azenis tires for this year (and probably some of next year too) before switching to R-comps. I need to learn how to drive first, and summer performance tires are great for that.

Good luck to all my auto-x evo drivers...not many of us represent at events. We need to show these S2000s, vettes, and STis who's boss!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:37 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vegitalv12
I just started auto-x not too long ago, and I'm a novice still (only 1 race left as a novice). But my classification will be street mod. I plan on purchasing a set of falken Azenis RT-615 in 245/45 for the stock 8 wheels.

In the last 2 events, I havent done that well (even tho I'm a novice). I've been competeting on Pirelli P6 all season tires 235/45, and I've been getting feathering like a ****. The last event I did, it felt like the tire was gonna come off the rim...the sidewalls are uber soft.

Hopefully, the azenis tires will improve my course times. I'm getting those because

I've heard good things about the dunlop star specs, but the price delta doesnt justify the slight edge in performance IMO.

I figure I'll run with the azenis tires for this year (and probably some of next year too) before switching to R-comps. I need to learn how to drive first, and summer performance tires are great for that.

Good luck to all my auto-x evo drivers...not many of us represent at events. We need to show these S2000s, vettes, and STis who's boss!
Not quite so at the Philly region. We have about 10 Evos, and quite a few Minis...they always make fun of us!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by chu
Not quite so at the Philly region. We have about 10 Evos, and quite a few Minis...they always make fun of us!
Thats cool man, so how do the evos compare to S2000s and Vettes? Is an Evo usually FTD or close?

I'm the only evo driver usually at my events...everybody and their momma drives either a: miata, S2000, vette, mini cooper, or RX-8.

The good part is, my car get ALOT of attention. Many drivers in the paddock give me props for having a cool car.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:54 AM
chu
Evolved Member

It's up in the air most of the time between an EF Civic and an Evo. Past few times have been the Evo that sets PAX though. Some our guys are national level contenders, so they can really drive the hell out of their cars. We have a good number of other cars also, with very experienced drivers! Typical summer series event for us here come in at about 120 to 150 drivers!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:11 AM

Wow, in NC, events cap out at 120 entries. FTD usually ends up being a professional driver in an S2000 w/ R-comp tires. Vettes usually do pretty well too. Oh, and the suby drivers are out in force here too...lots of WRXs and STis in the competition. They usually finish in the top 30 too (if the driver is decent).

I wish of of you good evo guys would come do an auto-x with us one day. I run with Tarheel Sports Car Club www.thscc.com

The next event is mid May in Sanford, NC. Tarheel doesnt get too cone happy usually. Most of the courses allow you to carry alot of momentum (if you're skilled enough to).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

So i am running in SM class and will either race with Volk CE28 17X9 +35 or Advan rg2 18x9 +29

What size z1 should i run on each of those rims?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

You would be better off running 255/40/17. That's common knowledge regarding these tires since they came out about 5 years ago. You're already under-gunned compared to an Evo prepared for SM by being on street tires, especially narrower, taller ones. Especially Azenis.

Azenis will definitely improve your times over your all seasons. They aren't quite "the ****" though. Maybe compared to all-seasons, but that goes for any extremeperf. summer tire compared to an all season. They are an outdated, uncompetitive and albeit cheap tire that overheats and loses grip rather quickly. Before they are even worn out, a Star Spec would probably improve your times over the Azenis, assuming your driving is improving at a decent rate. I say this from experience in my first season Autocrossing with these exact tires.

Evos are the only competitive car besides STis in STU and one of few in SM.
Do you pay much attention to National SCCA results, or class discussions? If you do, I think you will find some interesting and helpful information to the contrary of some of your statements.

Last edited by hokiruu; Apr 13, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shh!! sleeping
So i am running in SM class and will either race with Volk CE28 17X9 +35 or Advan rg2 18x9 +29

What size z1 should i run on each of those rims?
Why are you in SM? Your power mods? How serious are you about autocross? Why are you debating two totally different wheel sizes? for SM?

You guys DO realize the competitive standard in SM is 285/30/18 R-comps right?

Choose your tires FIRST, then wheels. In racing, wheels are just round thing that help your tires do their job properly. It they do this, fit, and aren't heavy enough to be making your times noticeably and consistently slower, it doesn't matter what kind.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

I'll back up all the other recommendations for the Z1. I ran those two seasons ago and they were awesome all the way down thru the wear bars! Considering performance and price, the Z1s can't be beat.

I ran the Kumho XS last year and those are awesome under hot and dry conditions. They are not great on the first run but once they get some heat in them, they can really shine. Since I'm in Seattle now, hot and dry conditions don't exist. I've run a few events this year on them and they are worthless up here. I would go back to the Z1s but I jumped on the closeout deal on AD07s that Tire Rack had.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, in NC, events cap out at 120 entries. FTD usually ends up being a professional driver in an S2000 w/ R-comp tires. Vettes usually do pretty well too. Oh, and the suby drivers are out in force here too...lots of WRXs and STis in the competition. They usually finish in the top 30 too (if the driver is decent).

I wish of of you good evo guys would come do an auto-x with us one day. I run with Tarheel Sports Car Club www.thscc.com

The next event is mid May in Sanford, NC. Tarheel doesnt get too cone happy usually. Most of the courses allow you to carry alot of momentum (if you're skilled enough to).
i had fun at the usl auto auction the other year with the thscc, i'll have to see if there's any events i can attend before july

Quick Reply: help me choose an auto-x tire for street tire classing