Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Different Tires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different Tires

I just purchased an Evo a few weeks ago with a thought to be broken transmission. Once the car was torn apart it was discovered that the output shaft going from the transmission to the transfer case had rounded off the splines that it slides into so the shaft was just spinning. The car is back on the road now but I noticed there is three different tires on the car. The front two are Goodyear Eagle LS-2's and one rear is a Fuzion ZRi and the other is a Fuzion HRi. I measured all four tires and the left front and left rear are exactly the same circumference. The right rear is about 1/2 an inch different then the left side tires and the right front is about an 1/8th difference then the left side tires. Would this be a large enough difference in tire size to do damage to the transfer case? Opinions on if a new set of matching tires is needed? Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first off let me apologize to you because that's like giving a special olympics kid two different brand shoe in two different size - hooray for the previous owner.

but yes in all seriousness please invest in a cheap set of matching tires for the time being should you have to; whether or not it contributed to the failure of the output shaft that's a tough call since the difference in UTQG is 60 - but even then that's another topic of debate since you're also dealing with driving habits. with that in mind, provided below are links via tirerack w/info for your current tires, you be the judge, but that's a serious kluge of WTFs

Goodyear Eagle LS-2's - "Luxury Sport Grand Touring All Season tires "
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Eagle+LS-2

Fuzion ZRi - "Ultra High Performance Summer tire"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&tireModel=ZRi

Fuzion HRi - "High Performance All-Season tire "
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&tireModel=HRi

to the previous owner of your evo: REALLY!!??

Last edited by pao; Apr 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes. That will cause issues. I would get 2 more GY Eagle LS tires for now, since you match most of those. But sooner than later, get a new set of 4 tires.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup that's the problem. Need to be all the same outside diameter to avoid drivetrain issues.