Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Grateful...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grateful...

Ok, so i purchased an 06 ix se about a month ago with 22k miles and drove it for 2k miles more until we noticed grinding on the rear. This was unfortuanatly due to rear pads being worn. So I had it put on a lift to change the rotors and noticed that on the inner part of the tire near the suspension, BOTH front tires were shreded/grinded down to "white thread" The tires might just blow at any momment.

Im trying to figure out what might have caused the tires to tare up. Has anyone had problems like this before? When the car was purchased, it already came on a NEGATIVE camber with 225/35r18 90w tires. Suspension is Megan coilovers.

Could it be that the tires are too wide/big for the car?
A common Megan Coilover problem?

Nevertheless, since the day I saw those tires... i have been nothing but grateful...Lucky to be alive. I had been driving/racing unaware...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Probably just an alignment problem. Get new tires and an alignment.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Never run a used car without a complete once-over.

Those tires are narrower than OEM

What is the alignment on the car?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like it's a hellaflushed down the toilet mobile: Megan coils, 225/35/18s destroyed on the inside. Get a wheel/tire combo that fits and doesn't require -5* camber.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Probably just an alignment problem. Get new tires and an alignment.
The last thing I would suggest but could be.
thx.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Sounds like it's a hellaflushed down the toilet mobile: Megan coils, 225/35/18s destroyed on the inside. Get a wheel/tire combo that fits and doesn't require -5* camber.
What do u mean flushed down the toilet?
Could b the camber...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Never run a used car without a complete once-over.

Those tires are narrower than OEM

What is the alignment on the car?
I've seen worst cambers than this. The previous owner may have just cambered them in to tuck the tire and prevent fender rub but that will o ly bring me 2 my question if these size tires are appropriate for the body. I will buy new tires and camber them back out. I will let you guys know how that goes.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

From your tire wear, stupid tire size and coilovers, I'm going out on a limb that your car is "hellaflush", br0. In other words, it has wheels and tires that don't really fit the car but look sick y0. See "wrong fitment crew" stupidity in Show & Shine or Member's Gallery on NASIOC. Cambered to 'tuck' is exactly what I'm talking about.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iEvoIX
I've seen worst cambers than this. The previous owner may have just cambered them in to tuck the tire and prevent fender rub but that will o ly bring me 2 my question if these size tires are appropriate for the body. I will buy new tires and camber them back out. I will let you guys know how that goes.
more along the lines of a 245-255 size tire ... sounds like the car was slammed and had the tires tucked like it was a v-dub... prob handles pore to
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iEvoIX
Ok, so i purchased an 06 ix se about a month ago with 22k miles and drove it for 2k miles more until we noticed grinding on the rear. This was unfortuanatly due to rear pads being worn. So I had it put on a lift to change the rotors and noticed that on the inner part of the tire near the suspension, BOTH front tires were shreded/grinded down to "white thread" The tires might just blow at any momment.

Im trying to figure out what might have caused the tires to tare up. Has anyone had problems like this before? When the car was purchased, it already came on a NEGATIVE camber with 225/35r18 90w tires. Suspension is Megan coilovers.

Could it be that the tires are too wide/big for the car?
A common Megan Coilover problem?

Nevertheless, since the day I saw those tires... i have been nothing but grateful...Lucky to be alive. I had been driving/racing unaware...
Usually what will destroy tires, long before camber affects tire wear, is excessive toe-in or toe-out. So definitely check your alignment and make sure you have 0 toe all around to start with.

You also listed 225/35r18 tires. What size (width) rims is the car running? On anything larger than an 18x8 wheel, those tires are going to be seriously stretched, which won't help wear either.

l8r)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

You know they're going to be 18x9.5s. Any takers on that bet?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

^ Ha! A 225 on a 9.5 rim would be mad tyte, yo! It'd be like rollin' on a set of jimmy hats.

BTW - I'm not taking that bet.

l8r)
Old Jul 5, 2010, 02:10 AM

Just an update. The camber was fine. the tires that were torn from the front were swapped with the rears. And there is no damage being done to the fronts. I came to the conclusion that these tires were already damaged before the coilovers were installed... hense the coilovers being purchased. Any questions please just ask.