Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CiroDesign Camber/Caster plates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
edit, turns out my binding issues was not spring or top-hat related (more below)

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Bump... just found this thread while looking for the Torrington bearing information.
I'm in the same boat, looking for something to resolve some serious coil bind issues. Rick, I saw your earlier post linking to some torrington bearings on amazon but I’m apprehensive about running an unsealed bearing up in there (crappy NW weather) and would really rather not have to replace something like that all the time. Any leads on a similar sealed bearing (60mm)? or any thoughts on crafting up a fancy upper spring perch with integrated/sealed radial bearing?

Last edited by 4wd4me; Apr 24, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4wd4me
I'm in the same boat, looking for something to resolve some serious coil bind issues. Rick, I saw your earlier post linking to some torrington bearings on amazon but I’m apprehensive about running an unsealed bearing up in there (crappy NW weather) and would really rather not have to replace something like that all the time. Any leads on a similar sealed bearing (60mm)? or any thoughts on crafting up a fancy upper spring perch with integrated/sealed radial bearing?
Hey Doug,

We usually have some in stock, but we're out for the next month or so.

I think Hyperco had/has some nice top spring mounts that tilted and rotated, I think they were semi sealed. Even in dry weather Torrington's need to be cleaned periodically.

Rick
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.shock-shop.com/Hyperco/Perches.php

I'd just add the torringtons in the springtime and remove in the winter.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
We usually have some in stock, but we're out for the next month or so.
Thanks Rick... by "some" are you refering to sealed torrington bearings (or fancy top spring perches?), we can wait a month~ let me know what you've got (or will have)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Rick... by "some" are you refering to sealed torrington bearings (or fancy top spring perches?), we can wait a month~ let me know what you've got (or will have)
Open Torringtons, I don't know of any sealed versions.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

oooph, big money

I'd just add the torringtons in the springtime and remove in the winter.
yeah, that's starting to make good sense

thanks Rick!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
those don't rotate like the torrington bearings do, they only pivot.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I am very interested in these caster/camber plates... However I have some questions HERE That maybe some of you gurus would be able to answer for me...

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hatesposers
I am very interested in these caster/camber plates... However I have some questions HERE That maybe some of you gurus would be able to answer for me...

Thanks.
Hi,

The torrington bearings we carry fit between the top spring perch and the 2.5"/60mm race spring. Since you are using a stock type spring, torrington bearings won't work in that area.

Our plates do include a bushing spacer that goes between the spring perch and the Camber plate bearing assembly. That should allow some rotational movement. I do know that some in this thread have had success using the stock bilsteins w/Swift springs with CDR caster/camber plates. Maybe they can give their input.

Thanks,
Rick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you Rick,

Yeah, I realized the idiocy of my question before you answered it. The rotation of the strut/spring assembly comes from the spherical bearing...

I've gone to your site, and I am interested. How do I purchase these plates?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

figured out the source of my binding issues, lol. In all fairness I did not assemble/install them myself originally... so, instead of dinking around on the internet I should of just pulled them apart. By undoing the top nut I was able to simply drop them down through the Ciro top hats far enough to pull the tenders off, install the torrington bearings, thread it back up, and away we go... simple as pie. I also bought some stupid offroad "boots" that velcro over the whole spring assembly, from top to bottom, that will hopefully keep crud from getting into the bearings and prolong their life some.

spring perches were hitting each other, the tenders were't long enough, duh.

Last edited by 4wd4me; Feb 23, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

figured out the source of my binding issues, lol. In all fairness I did not assemble/install them myself originally... so, instead of dinking around on the internet I should of just pulled them apart. By undoing the top nut I was able to simply drop them down through the Ciro top hats far enough to pull the tenders off, install the torrington bearings, thread it back up, and away we go... simple as pie. I also bought some stupid offroad "boots" that velcro over the whole spring assembly, from top to bottom, that will hopefully keep crud from getting into the bearings and prolong their life some.

spring perches were hitting each other, the tenders were't long enough, duh.
Sounds good! I had to lathe off some my spring perches also. Also as you know, the torringtons raise the ride ht an 1/8" or so. I have a couple of torrington sets in stock for our plate customers.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

...Also as you know, the torringtons raise the ride ht an 1/8" or so. I have a couple of torrington sets in stock for our plate customers.
I measured 5mm, and dropped the lower perch the same. Just went for a test drive, stoked

also, the pivot bearing at the top nut on the CIRO plates were in perfect condition, quality stuff!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks!

Did you use 1 or 2 sets per side? I just put the bearing on top where it collects less dirt.

I measured 5mm, and dropped the lower perch the same. Just went for a test drive, stoked

also, the pivot bearing at the top nut on the CIRO plates were in perfect condition, quality stuff!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Did you use 1 or 2 sets per side? I just put the bearing on top where it collects less dirt.
Yeah, just one set per side, at the top, directly under the top spring hat/above the tender.

Quick Reply: CiroDesign Camber/Caster plates