Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CiroDesign Camber/Caster plates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Can someone who has 1st hand experience with these plates along with the factory struts please chime in? I put these on last night and everything was fine until I went for a test drive and heard a massive clunking noise on both sides.

After thorough investigation making sure everything was tight I think I tracked down the issue to the top nut not fully seating onto the spherical bearing. I spoke with Rick last night (thanks for chatting with me btw Rick!) and he confirmed that this must be my issue. What we think is happening is that the top nut is too long thus it is bottoming out before making contact with the spherical bearing. Rick offers a couple of different bearings however I am not sure which one that I need.

I am curious if anyone here used these with the stock struts and if so do they know which nut they used? I am going to pull the nut off tonight and compare it to my nut from my cusco camber plates to see if the cusco one is shorter. If that is the case then I will try and swap that one on. If not my other options are to shave down the nut that came with the plates or add a washer under the plate where that spacer is to bring the plate up a little more. Has anyone else dealt with this issue and if so what was your solution? Thanks for all of your help

Last edited by heel2toe; Apr 24, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

I pulled back off my struts last night to try and figure this out. The nut from my Cusco plates is a little different that what came with the Ciro Design Plates. The top strut nut has threads that go all the way to the bottom whereas the nut from my Cusco plates is bored out on the bottom and the threads start in the middle of it.

What this means is that with the nut provided in the Ciro Design plates it bottoms out before making contact with the Spherical Bearing when using the factory struts. This is not a complaint but rather a warning to others to help you out in the future. I know Rick offers a couple different top strut nuts so I just got the wrong one.

The good news is that the plates are no longer making that loud clunk I experienced the other day. I am however getting a really light "squeak squeak" noise coming from the plates now. Has anyone else experienced this? I understand that with metal on metal there is no cushion to absorb the noises however I just want to make sure that I am not supposed to grease anything or tighten something up a little more. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have the short sleeve nuts in stock, along with the larger 14mm strut nuts. So our Caster/Camber plates fit 99% of the struts on the market, including both stock set-ups, and Evo Xs. The only coilover that didn't fit was the new AST 5200, that uses an odd 16mm nut, but that applies to other camber plates as well

Thanks!

Rick
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great product

After 4 years of using the plates in my evo 8 rally car I can say they're a great product! What impresses me the most is that I have had no problems with the spherical bearings used with the plates up until now! Great choice of bearings. Hope they didn't change these in the plates made now because I would like to order another set for my daily driver.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:16 PM
c2m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had these on my car for a few years too...autoXing and such... They've held up great...on coil overs.. And on stock shocks.... On the stock struts I think I managed -6 degrees of camber....crazy...

Rick at Ciro design is a great guy and more than willing to work with you and your setup.....
Old Mar 23, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
can anyone confirm i've got the orientation of the plates right? this is for the passenger side. they are replacing what the ohlins came with

Old Mar 23, 2015, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

The way you have it oriented in the photo is wrong and confusing but you are indeed holding the one for the passenger side. Take a look at the photo on page 1 of this thread and you can see how you want to get the strut to move towards the firewall. The plate sitting on the bubblewrap is the proper orientation for the driverside.