Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Sway Bar??

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Sway Bar??

I searched but nothing convincing, so i am going to spend some money and i was thinking of getting some stuff for handling. So far i have stock evo 8 suspension, but i want to upgrade the sway bar and the under chasie brace. So the questions are;

1) Which sway bar is better for a reasonable price and for everyday driving?
2) Should i upgrade the under chasie brace or not worth it?? And which one will work with a 3'' dp??
3)What else do i need to make the car handle a little better (besides shocks and springs/coilovers)

p.s I need a set up that i can use for both daily driven, track and drag racing

Last edited by erald01; May 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:03 PM

I have the perrin 25mm, its adjustable, and ive been super happy with it. its flat through corners, no excessive body roll. i also upgrade the end links while i was at it. i got a great deal on it as well.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

i was thinking about the same thing, perrin bar with perrin end links...what about the under brace is it worth getting it?? anymore opinions guys?/
Old May 11, 2010, 05:33 PM

im rockin a TCS sportline, i needed spacers for the center rear bolts but it seems to do that trick. havnt noticed a difference from stock, but it looks better
Old May 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

^^^hahaha thats funny... yeah i dont want to spend the money just for looks i want it to be functional...btw did you get yours from ebay??
Old May 11, 2010, 05:39 PM

no it actually came on my lancer ralliart when i bought it, then i upgraded to the evolution, and since everything is so close i just swapped it over. (same spacing issues on the lancer)
Old May 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

wider and better tires.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:43 PM

Upgraged to AP 27mm rear with AP adj. end links and love the difference. Plus I'm still not on the stiffest swaybar setting yet. Great mod IMO.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

ahhhh yeah i have already 255's on it, and the wheels and tires is not really part of the suspension, i am asking about suspension wise and make the body more rigid shall i say
Old May 11, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Azmodeus
Upgraged to AP 27mm rear with AP adj. end links and love the difference. Plus I'm still not on the stiffest swaybar setting yet. Great mod IMO.
where did you buy the AP sway bar and what endlinks are you using??? thanx
Old May 11, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

anymore opinions???
Old May 11, 2010, 08:23 PM

i think you should invest in some coilovers and stiffer springs...that will make the most difference. i have coilover, camber plates, and 5kg/6kg springs on it and it's like night and day compared to the old stock 2003 evo 8 suspension. I have the stock front strut bar and the stock cross bars under that car...
Old May 11, 2010, 08:43 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You first need to consider what you actually want out of your car. DD, track, and drag racing, all require different approaches. You driving skill also comes into effect here. I will leave that question for you to decide.

As far as your setup now, I would recommend you to get a good spring (Swift, Works, GTWorx), and combine them with a good shock...like the MR Bilsteins. This will provide more of an upgrade than any chassis bracing will do for you. Better ride quility, less body roll, etc. It will provide a good balance for your needs.

As for sway bars, stay away from them for now. Sway bars are meant to make a good setup better, and not be the end-all improvement to handling. Sway bars tend to mask the suspensions handling, and take away from the independency of the suspension. Ever seen an Evo lift an inside wheel? That's not a good thing! Sway bars can also make a car undrivable at high speed. I'm speaking from experience here. I strongly urge you to stay away, at least for now.

Your comment on wheels and tires not being a part of the suspension is wrong. Tires are your contact to the road surface, and play a huge role in the car's handling. Stock suspension on good tires will go further than great suspension on average tires. Remember, suspension is meant to improve overall grip...and where does grip come from? TIRES! Wheels also play a role as it accounts for unsprung weight. You can google that term and read all about it. In essence though, lighter is better!

I hope this gets you thinking and start researching!

BTW, someone move this to the right section please!

Last edited by chu; May 11, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

well the thing is that i am not trying to go too hardcore, i am aware of the fact that wider is better and thats why i fitted the biggest tires you can on a stock rim 255's. I am also aware of the mr belsteins+swift combo, BUT to be honest i am more into making power than spending over a $1k on shocks and springs. I will through in some swifts on the KYB's though but Michgan roads are JUST horrible to have a car lowered and superstiff. Unless i get a good deal on belsteins i am not really worried to much about them, btw are the KYB's stiffer than belsteins??

The only reason i was looking into upgrading the sway bar, the under brace maybe an rs trunk brace also, was because i just wanted to reduce the body roll, so when i am drinking a coffe going to work i wont have to worry about spillng it , plus if i ever went to any local auto x the car would be able to handle good
Old May 12, 2010, 08:41 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the Swifts on your KYB. You'd be suprise if good the car will feel. It's not stiff like you think it is. Huge improvement over the stock setup. Reducing body roll begins there, and not with chassis bracing.

Quick Reply: Best Sway Bar??