Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Shaking steering wheel at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a similar situation. I have an intermittant shake at 80 MPH( I know, over the speed limit).

I too have checked all, but my shake is not really from the wheel, it is the entire car. Once I stop and pull over on the highway, take off again, it's gone!!

All my brakes have been changed, suspension checked, alignment good.
Tires are coming from Dexter at Tirerack.

The only thing that I can think of is that sometimes the driveshaft center joint (webo on BMW I think) is worn and causing this. If it would happen all the time It would be easier to pinpoint..

Anyone ever change this?? Or is it because I have slightly higher mileage,

OP:Sorry to jump on the thread, just thought you might want to check this out too.

Last edited by 4RETECH; May 17, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is a problem in the driveline, you will usually feel the vibration in the floorboard or seats and not so much in the steering. Check for any play in the u-joints on the driveshafts or for any play in the carrier bearing.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:30 PM

How many miles on your car? Worn suspension bushings can cause issues similar to what you are describing.
Old May 21, 2010, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

I looked at the bushings and they look fine (i guess). How would they look if they would be bad? And also, how to check if coil springs are bad? I've heard that bad coil springs can cause that issue.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

i too have this problem and mine makes a weird sound. i have new tires put on new pads and rotors. alignment done when i got the new tires, rotated and balanced twice. i have 100k on stock struts and springs, buying 30k gsr struts and springs to replace them and see if that will fix it. subscribed!
Old May 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have had a broken belt in a tire cause this before. Lift your car off the ground, rotate the front tires with your hands across them, and feel for any out-of-roundness.

Balancing your wheels will not always catch this problem.

Good luck!
Old May 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

subscribed, have intermittent problem like this as well.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Once I put Eibah lowering springs I my car I achieved this same problem...
Im thinking that possibly since the factory strut is being over compressed than usual as it sits and the spring rate is different than I should be it possibly causes the strut to "fight back." Im getting my coilovers in soon and when I instal them ill see if the shake continues and update accordingly.

Last edited by mc14; Jun 16, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

just bough my evo, put on the tein adjustable springs and shocks and i hve the same problem....anyone know??
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:56 AM

I also drive a 05 and all my stuff is legit but I once and awile feel vibration.

Well this past weekend I changed all the belts on my car and my buddy notice I still had those cross beams/rods that go over the downpipe (should be 2 there) and he asked if I felt vibration while driving I said not really and asked why do you ask. He said usally people that have a 3" downpipe usally take off those rods because the sit up against the pipe and cause some vibrations while driving.

So my question to you is do you have a 3" downpipe on the car with those rods still connected? Take them off and go for a drive and see how it handles. If you still have vibration I dunno what to say lol.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

I would say if ur running a 3 inch downpipe then you can just put some washers or buy some bushings to make a gap between the rods and the down pipe.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same issue on my car, been there since I bought it in 5/04' with 13k. Tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, everything has been gone threw. Mine shimmies between 60-75mph, seems to smooth out over 80mph and rock solid over 100mph.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Yep same here over 80 it's all good but will be checking into those beams tonight and see why happens...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevmac3685
I also drive a 05 and all my stuff is legit but I once and awile feel vibration.

Well this past weekend I changed all the belts on my car and my buddy notice I still had those cross beams/rods that go over the downpipe (should be 2 there) and he asked if I felt vibration while driving I said not really and asked why do you ask. He said usally people that have a 3" downpipe usally take off those rods because the sit up against the pipe and cause some vibrations while driving.

So my question to you is do you have a 3" downpipe on the car with those rods still connected? Take them off and go for a drive and see how it handles. If you still have vibration I dunno what to say lol.
Originally Posted by evonky
Yep same here over 80 it's all good but will be checking into those beams tonight and see why happens...
They have nothing to do with it, I'm fairly certain about that. For the record I don't know anyone who has taken those off and all my friends run a 3" dp.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same issue, sure would be nice to find a solution...

Quick Reply: Shaking steering wheel at 70mph