Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment questions

If I want to extend the life of my tires would it be a good idea to zero (0/0) my camber and toe? I'm not sure what my toe is set at currently but I know my camber is roughly -2/-3.

I'm trying to save money right now for the build in my sig, which is why I'm currently looking into the Sumitomo HTR Z II because they're really cheap, and I'd like to extend the life of those tires by pretty much zeroing my alignment specs.

Yay?/Nay?
Old May 15, 2010, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Few more things I forgot to mention. I'm riding on HKS Hypermax II coilovers and stock Evo 8 rims. I also plan on buying the 245/40/17's vice the 235/45/17's.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I went in to get the alignment on my Evo when I was daily driving it I just told the tech that I wanted maximum tire life. I think he put very little toe (you will still want some but only 0.5 or something like that) and zero camber or maybe it was the other way around. Either way the car still handled very well and my tires have over 15k on them and show only the slightest wear. They are stock Evo X rims and tires just for comparison. They usually wear very quickly.

Josh
Old May 15, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

0 toe all around FTW. Compared to toe, camber won't have a huge effect on tire wear.

l8r)
Old May 15, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
When I went in to get the alignment on my Evo when I was daily driving it I just told the tech that I wanted maximum tire life. I think he put very little toe (you will still want some but only 0.5 or something like that) and zero camber or maybe it was the other way around. Either way the car still handled very well and my tires have over 15k on them and show only the slightest wear. They are stock Evo X rims and tires just for comparison. They usually wear very quickly.

Josh
Where did you go?
Old May 15, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

believe it or not I went to a Firestone and got the lifetime alignment back when it was only $99. They have taken care of me ever since.

Josh
Old May 15, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

believe it or not I went to a Firestone and got the lifetime alignment back when it was only $99. They have taken care of me ever since.

Josh
did the same thing and have had great results
Old May 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kemist
did the same thing and have had great results
Do they actually do custom alignments? Like if I walked in and gave them my race specs, would they do it? Might be worthwhile for me if they do... Beats $125 each time I go to my guy.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJones
Do they actually do custom alignments? Like if I walked in and gave them my race specs, would they do it? Might be worthwhile for me if they do... Beats $125 each time I go to my guy.
Pretty sure that they would so long as a knowledgable tech is there. When I had coilovers he set them however I asked. He would give me printout afterwards to show me where each whell was before and after.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Haha, I would have never guessed Firestone has a good suspension tech. I'll see if they can hook me up when I get the tires.

What do you guys have to say about the Sumitomo HTR Z II? I'm not looking for a track tire. All I'm looking for is to get as many miles out of them as I can. Saving for my build is top priority right now. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Don't cheap out on tires. Remember that tires are the only things between you and the road. Why put a bunch of money into the "build" and then put crappy tires on the car?

Go 0 toe all around. Maybe a little rear toe-in if you're going to a high-speed track, for high-speed stability.

Factory camber should be fine for the street, which is around 1 degree. Flip the front strut bolt for 2 degrees if you're tracking or if you want a more aggressive street setup. The alignment tech should be able to square it up for you.

Can't adjust caster with the factory setup--if it's really out of spec, then something is bent, like a control arm.

Remember to check your tire pressures before the alignment. If you're going to buy new tires, do it before the alignment.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Josh
+1

Dozens and dozens of alignments at Firestones all over the country.

d

EDIT: You have to be patient and understanding -- especially if they are busy. It helps if you know exactly what you want.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Don't cheap out on tires. Remember that tires are the only things between you and the road. Why put a bunch of money into the "build" and then put crappy tires on the car?

Go 0 toe all around. Maybe a little rear toe-in if you're going to a high-speed track, for high-speed stability.

Factory camber should be fine for the street, which is around 1 degree. Flip the front strut bolt for 2 degrees if you're tracking or if you want a more aggressive street setup. The alignment tech should be able to square it up for you.

Can't adjust caster with the factory setup--if it's really out of spec, then something is bent, like a control arm.

Remember to check your tire pressures before the alignment. If you're going to buy new tires, do it before the alignment.
The whole reason I wanted to buy these "El Cheapo's" is so I won't have to spend a lot on tires which, in turn, would drag me farther away from by build.

By no means is the build done yet. When I'm approaching completion then I'll save for decent tires. But for now I want cheap ones so I still have money for the build.