Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

tire size?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2003, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire size?

235/45/17
245/45/17
255/40/17

would there be any problems with the other sizes?
i want to go wider to offset the grip difference of all season tires
should i just stay with the stock size?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:49 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: tire size?

Originally posted by black evil evo
would there be any problems with the other sizes?
i want to go wider to offset the grip difference of all season tires
should i just stay with the stock size?
At some point, you'll run out of clearance, if you go wide without changing the offsets. I don't really know how much clearance there is at full lock between the stock 235s and the wheel wells -- or whatever else a wider tire might rub against.

I don't think you'd be able to fit tires wide enough to make up for the difference between a summer compound operating at 130 deg (tire temp), and an all season compound operating at much lower temps.

But you don't really want wide tires for snow. Wider tires ride up over the snow, instead of plowing through. Look at the skinny tires the WRC cars use at Monte Carlo or Sweden snow stages. If you ride up on top of the snow, you're skiing, not driving.

Winter tires are about compromise. You want narrow tires to cut through snow, but wide tires to grip icy or dry (but cold) roads.

Think about the range of road conditions you get, even in urban areas, in winter: Dry cold roads, roads with fresh snow, roads with packed snow, wet roads by day with black ice at night, roads covered in residual sand and salt. There's no tire that's optimum for all these surfaces.

The best you can do is go with a compromise tire for winter and go back to performance tires in summer.

For winter, I went to a 225/45-17 V-rated (extended load) Nokan WR "all weather" tire on a (comparitively) inexpensive 17x7.5 rims. For summer, I'll go back to the Advans on the Enkeis (which won't have to face the winter road salt).

If you choose to go with an all season tire year round, you'll simply have to accept not having the grip you get from a summer max performance tire. C'est la vie.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good points.

Also, it will depend on the wheel width, right? If you go to a wider rim, the 235 may fit, but may not be optimal. A few other members have 17x9 wheels and used 245/45 tires which fit the width better, but make the overall diameter slightly (~1.6%) taller. DGS went with a 225 for better snow perf, but his wheel is 7.5 " wide to make it work. On a side note, what wheels are those? Are they from the tirerack?

I have a set of 17x9 wheels with 245/45 ultra high perf all seasons on the way. I live in Southeastern MA, so I'll get some snow, but not that much. I'll lose the ultimate summer grip of the advans, but the slightly wider width may help. It's definitely a trade-off. I may keep my stock wheels and tires to switch back to in the summer if I don't like it.

Take care,

FB
Old Dec 9, 2003, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Hi experts,

Please confirm if following sets of tires will fit on the stock Evo wheel without problem:

235/45/17 (stock)
245/45/17
255/40/17

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by r6bruin
Hi experts,

Please confirm if following sets of tires will fit on the stock Evo wheel without problem:

235/45/17 (stock)
245/45/17
255/40/17

Thanks!
Please excuse my duplicate post, I got an idea after reading this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=245%2F45