Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nervous on the freeway?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very easy to creep to 100mph in the EVO b/c it's so stable. You may not be use to the quick steering, and those cars may have alignment issues.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

As long as you didn't feel slack in the steering wheel it's probably just the ultra responsiveness of the Evo's quick steering. Otherwise I was thinking a worn tie rod bushing on a brand new car.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
stable at 130.... just get scared to go faster, especially since I did this around a long turn on the highway. Feels like someone is pushing your car down when your turning, like a Formula 1. If i had my eyes closed you woudl never know i was going 130
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

The car is not like anything your use too. It took me a while to be able to drive it. Compared to a lot of sport cars it is very stable however. The large wing helps a lot at high speeds. FYI 160 is A lot faster than 100. Be carefull. The difference is similar to 0-60.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:54 AM

ive only owned the car about 3 days now,and i can honestly say its stable.on the drive home from the stealership,i did about 65 to 80(80 was about 3400rpm).i was also gonna get the small wing,but i was informed by the tech that why get any wing if u arent going to have the right one on.2 hands are a definate with a car like this due to the awd.if u try to one hand it and hit any type of irregularities in the road,it will pull u towards wherever the deviation is.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:00 PM

I've had mine for about 2 mos--small wing.

I agree with Chris in HB; two hands on the wheel at 100 or 60 or whatever and the car is rock solid. You point and it goes in that direction. It does make it hard to do anything on the highway but drive--i.e- change a CD, answer the phone.

Also, in reference to your initial post, just so happens I do have a Buick that is my daily driver (Regal GS). I used to think it was nice to drive on the highway but now it just feels vague and unresponsive compared to the ultrasharp steering in the Evo.

I also notice that I have near zero highway hypnosis in the Evo...the thing is just so much fun to drive, how in the hell could you fall asleep or not have a huge grin on your face. (Who needs cruise??)

Buy the Evo and enjoy....
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i only hit up 160 on my road by my house... Still very dangerous, highly illegal, but highly fun
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I had mine up to about 125 on the front straight at Summit Point raceway, and it never felt the least bit unstable. Later that same day, I took it up to probably 115 MPH in the rain. Again, it felt stable all the way.

I would compare it to my old Porsche 928, which also had the same feeling that the faster you went, the more planted the car felt.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we owe it all to the construction of the EVO's frame, and the excellent suspension it comes with stock.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make sweeping one handed turns at 100 with the other hand in my nose w/o a problem.

YOu can always ge t a rear strut brace...
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

The car is very stable if you drive with two hands. Feels much more stable than any car i've driven. Takes a little bit of practice and getting used to if you wanna drive with one hand tho...

I regularly make 95 mile freeway trips to san diego, and usually take my evo. The other day, i drove my 93 525i bmw, and almost fell asleep cause it was so boring and smooth.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
I think we owe it all to the construction of the EVO's frame, and the excellent suspension it comes with stock.
If you've seen the video where that chick barrel-rolls her Evo at the track, you'll know just how well the Evo is built...
Old Nov 13, 2003, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fireball
Mine feels more stable the faster you go. Past 100mph, it feels GLUED to the road.
Ditto here too.

Also, time spent in the car smooths things out as well. If you're going from almost any other car to this one there's a bit of a curve due to they characteristics of this specific car.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 03:05 PM
In Timeout

The car likes to be driven. I find myself above 100Mph and not even noticing it. It's uncomfortable in 4 hour drives, but thats not why I bought it.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

I recently did back-to-back 4 hour drives in the same day. I was worried that the car would take too much effort to drive that far because of the steering. I was surprised how easy it was to drive on that trip. And it was quite comfortable too. My right leg was a bit cramped at the end due to lack of cruise control, but that's my only complaint. And the wonderfully smooth power on the highway made it much more fun than I had expected. It turns out that high-speed touring is actually a strong point of the Evo. Who knew?