Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nervous on the freeway?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nervous on the freeway?

I can't believe I'm asking this about a car that'll do 155, but here goes.

I'm a prospective Evo buyer, fwiw.

I know these things have quicker steering and won't be as stable as a Buick on the freeway, but I've driven two of these and the second one was a bit nervous at 80 on a smooth freeway. The first car I didn't get to take on the freeway, but it felt fine at speeds approaching that. Car #2 rode considerably harsher as well. It could be that since it has 1800 hard demo miles, it's all whacked on the alignment. It could also be that Car #1 had a two salespeople in it with me and Car #1 only had a skinny lady besides me and weight difference had a hand in things.

At any rate - I do a ton of freeway driving at elevated speeds and if these things do tend to get darty there, I'll have to look at getting something different.

So what's the consensus? Is this a byproduct of that which makes these so much fun to play with?

Any comments appreciated, except moronic suggestions to buy a Buick if I want sluggish highway steering.

Thanks!
Dan
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

I think the car is pretty stable at 80 mph.. in fact my girlfriend commented while driving it that it's more comfortable and stable at 80 than it is at 60, so I'd chalk it up to alignment. Alignment makes all the difference here... I once rented a Crown Victoria, and I thought that thingw as scary on the highway, with the Evo at least I know the car will go in the direction I point it.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the wide tires will make you shift on the pavement a little bit. I would put money on the alignments being off on those two youve drove.

My evo, with no alignment whatsoever yet, you can do 160 and still feel like your going 60.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

If the road were as smooth as glass, so would be the Evo. Probably alignment issues.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Mine feels more stable the faster you go. Past 100mph, it feels GLUED to the road.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fireball
Mine feels more stable the faster you go. Past 100mph, it feels GLUED to the road.
Ditto
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Define "nervous" and maybe we could help better.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:22 AM

Nervous in this case means the car moved around more than it should've. Didn't really feel like it wanted to go straight. It seemed
that with hands off the steering wheel it wanted to wander, but I should also point out that the steering wheel wiggled back and forth with hands off on smooth pavement. Mebbe it had tire problems as well.

I take it you guys talking about how planted the car feels at 100+ are running the big wing. I was thinking of going with the small one with the idea in mind of being less of a cop magnet. However, since I'm planning to do track days next year, I may be wanting the helicopter blade after all. What's the real skinny on the big wing anyway? Does it really do anything other than look bad*ss?

I meant to say above that Car #2 only had the skinny lady in it with me. Car #2 also rode a lot rougher over bumps, which was strange. Maybe somebody had the tires overinflated. Would anyone car to share the pressures so I can check them before my next test drive?

I'm inclined to think the rougher car did have an alignment issue, but I wanted to check here and make sure it wasn't just an issue of these cars being more lively.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

From what I've read and heard I expected the Evo to be painstakingly jittery on the expressway. On the contrary, I'm happy to report that ours is quite stable and locked down at speed as well. I once drove a '92 3 series that was way, way more jittery and nervous feeling on the freeway, it made me jittery and nervous.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Im running 28psi all the way around right now. I believe the big wing does help on the rear downforce of the car at high speeds. I dont have any facts though. FYI~ Dont get the evo that had a lot of miles on it. Stealerships are known for beating these cars.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by boostedwrx
FYI~ Dont get the evo that had a lot of miles on it. Stealerships are known for beating these cars.
Believe me, I wouldn't dream of it. Makes me shudder to think of all the possible hot shutdowns that turbo has seen.

Thanks for those psi's.

Dan
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

According to autoweek, the wing starts generating meaningful downforce at around 88 mph. I don't think it's a cosmetic piece; mitsubishi has historically run the production aero pieces on their WRC cars with minimal modification, and I expect the same for their reentry to WRC for 2004. The low wing is basically useless from a aero standpoint.. might as well go wingless.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont believe you are used to the handling. It took me seriously a week to get comfortable to how the car handles...it way out performs anything for "darting" in highway traffic. You should be good to go
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

If you drive with both hands on the wheel (as God intended), you'll have no problems. Remember, too, that your car follows your eyes. If you are distracted and look right or left, you'll drift over... Just pay attention and everything will be fine. And you'll be damn glad you have such sharp turn-in when you want to let 'er rip.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
If you drive with both hands on the wheel (as God intended), you'll have no problems. Remember, too, that your car follows your eyes. If you are distracted and look right or left, you'll drift over... Just pay attention and everything will be fine. And you'll be damn glad you have such sharp turn-in when you want to let 'er rip.
Agreed. When I have both hands on the wheel, I seem to wonder a little less hehe.

Oh, and if you do take your eyes off the road for a second, youll wind up on the shoulder! lol... not that I have or anything...