Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Recommendations – Winter Tires for BMW Z4 3.0i

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2003, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations Needed – Winter Tires for BMW Z4 3.0i

Tire size is 225/45-17”

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio where our winters are generally mild with occasional 1 –4” of snow, and usually following a snow, the streets are plowed and salted, so mostly I’m dealing with slush; however, side streets and parking lots can remain snow covered for a few days. Patchy ice can also be an occasional problems since out temperatures can remain below freezing for weeks at a time.

For me this car is an every day driver, maybe not smart, but that’s the way it is. Initially I considered simply replacing the original tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050 run flats) with an Ultra High Performance all season tire, but have now decided that after relatively hard driving and cornering with the RE050’s I would not be happy with a compromise tire. So I’ve decided to sacrifice performance for a few months and go for dedicated snow tires.

During my search for snow tires (High Performance?) I came across the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3, which is supposed to be an upgraded version of the very popular Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2, but has the added advantage (I have no spare) of being a run flat. Seems simple enough, order the M3’s ($171) and Wheels from Tire Rack. Wrong, the tires are on back order and probably will not be available through Tire Rack this winter. I called a local dealer and they can get them direct from Dunlop, for $264. I don’t think so.

Where I’m at now is considering Blizzak LM22’s or the Dunlop M2. As near as I can tell, and this is an extreme over simplification, Both tires are good in the snow, with the Blizzak leaning more toward snow and ice performance, and the M2, leaning more toward wet and dry handling.

Does anyone have experience with either of these tires on a performance car?

Other than not driving in the snow, are there other options I should consider?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by ezdzit; Nov 14, 2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try the Dunlop Winter Sports M2s or M3s.
I had them on my 3rd gen RX-7 for the winters.
They got me out of trouble a few times. I think its te best bet for the money invested.