Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rubbing With Swift Spec R's

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
How exactly is it bad info? I am suggesting he swap to a less meaty tire. Not debating the size of stock tires. He is having rubbing with 235/45/17's. You can talk theory all day but he will still have rubbing at the end of it. A shorter tire like a 235/40/17 will likely solve his problem.
Because of this:

Originally Posted by JonahEVO
I have Swift Spec R with 235/45/17 tires on stock evo8 wheels and no rubbing at all. I think you must of installed it wrong somehow or you must weight like +300 LBS.
We know 100% these fit without issue. Something else is up.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Well he says they are installed correctly and we kinda have to take his word on that. So... whats left.

I know some tires are not exactly true to their supposed size. When he says 'stock tires' does he mean the stock advans, or some other brand in 235/45/17. If so, what brand? Maybe research to see if they run a bit 'tall'.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly are you rubbing? Pics could help, do you have any spacers on your wheels/tires?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
weird weird weird, running camber plates?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

seems weird, everyone else that i have heard that runs these have no rubbing issues.... im considering running this setup in the future so i would like to see what the issue may have been ...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
Well he says they are installed correctly and we kinda have to take his word on that. So... whats left.

I know some tires are not exactly true to their supposed size. When he says 'stock tires' does he mean the stock advans, or some other brand in 235/45/17. If so, what brand? Maybe research to see if they run a bit 'tall'.
DOT specs are set requirements. The variation is slight.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

As stated repeatedly and restated by some of you, I'm running stock wheel with stock tire and a very common spring so I know for a fact that they normally do not rub at all. I do not weigh 300 lbs. so I don't think that's it. The car has not been aligned in some time and do to a stupid mistake on my part the toe is ****ed up, the tie rods are all the way to one said so my steering range is much greater to the right, but toe was still within spec and seeing as it happens on both sides I don't think that's the problem. I remember very specifically lining up the springs on the shocks but I think there's a better chance of me messing up than Swift so I'll double check my work. I'll post some pictures when I get home if it's still light out.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Werd
... and do to a stupid mistake on my part the toe is ****ed up, the tie rods are all the way to one said so my steering range is much greater to the right
This sounds like the X factor and likely explains your situation. If you have made changes to your linkage there is really no telling whats going on.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Its probably rubbing against your fender linder. Thats how my stock wheels were like too.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you. Looking forward to the pictures.

I would be that steering corrected. That is abnormal.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Thank you. Looking forward to the pictures.

I would be that steering corrected. That is abnormal.
I really don't feel like fixing it though, I'm so lazy . Unless the steering shaft can unspline from the rack without dropping the cradle, then I wouldn't be so opposed. By the way if that's doable someone let me know because I've been meaning to do it for a while.

And as promised here are some pics, hopefully they show what you wanted to see.

Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

^^^damn son clean ur wheels.... lol... i have 17x9.0+30 in addition to a 15mm spacer with 245/45/17 and I dont rub on spec-r's.... check the seating on the strut, they r a pita...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by borievoinitialD
^^^damn son clean ur wheels.... lol... i have 17x9.0+30 in addition to a 15mm spacer with 245/45/17 and I dont rub on spec-r's.... check the seating on the strut, they r a pita...
Lol that's pretty damn clean for me, and yeah I guess I will double check, can't hurt.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Werd
I really don't feel like fixing it though, I'm so lazy . Unless the steering shaft can unspline from the rack without dropping the cradle, then I wouldn't be so opposed. By the way if that's doable someone let me know because I've been meaning to do it for a while.
If your steering geometry is that off, its a problem. And one that could be causing other issues.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

While you're fixing your toe, maybe check the lower control arm (LCA) for any play. If the bushings on the LCA are worn enough, I could see how it could flex enough to have the tires rub on the fender liner.

Also ... Yokohama AVID 4Ws is not the stock tire, though at 235/45, it's the same size as the stock tire. IMO if the tires are rubbing badly, I'd tear the whole thing apart again and look for any installation issues. It never hurts to double check - nobody is perfect.

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Jun 9, 2010 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Rubbing With Swift Spec R's