Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need some brake parts advice/feedback...rotors, pads, ss lines, fluids!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vd
I'm pretty happy with Girodisc 2-piece slotted rotors front and rears (high quality, weight savings, very minor modifications needed to brake pads in rear only), Techna-Fit SS brake lines (nicely coated and very reasonably priced) and Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

Not so for the currently installed Ferodo DS2500 (they just can't survive the heat well enough), thinking about getting RB ET800 or CL RC6 for the next set. Also consider brake cooling ducts. Also nice and not too pricey is MBC stopper.
I really like the Girodisc rotors but I just don't like the fact that any modifications need to be done, even if its a little bit...Appreciate your input...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo

EBC Green and Reds are the street/AX pads. EBC Yellows are track pads. Blues are the enduro pads. I think Bassicfun has a set of Blues for testing now too.

Axxis ULTs do create some dust. But never had noise on mine or the other cars that have them (Galant GTS, Lancer GTS, and Suzuki SX4). ULTs are not track pads though for the front rotors.

Yeah I think wasn't even looking into the greens & reds at all...Maybe the yellows...How is the dust with the ULTs compared to stock? Glad there is no noise...I am assuming if the yellows are a track pad they may have some noise & a bit more dust?? Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Yeah...I may end up giving emery a call...
I've had front and rear Baers for almost 4 years. To be perfectly honest, the only time I think about them is when a random stranger points at the brakes at a stop light (happens at least once a week). Never an issue. I'm also running Russell stainless lines, ATE Superblue, PF-Z pads, and the factory brake cooling guides. The pads came from AMS, the rest from STM. Very happy with the setup. The car is used on the street with an occasional auto-x/school tossed in. The stock Advans lasted me ~7500 miles with even wear, to give an idea. The Project Mu pads I had before switching to the PFs went up in smoke. Literally.

Last edited by FJF; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your evo your DD? So your using the yellows on the street & for autox & you will be using them at the track event? So maybe for warmer spring/summer/fall months the yellows are alright but you will swap them out during the winter?? How is the brake dust with the yellows & the noise??
Yes, the EVO is my daily driver year round currently.

Yes, I am using the EBC Yellow Stuff's front and rear, all purpose DD, autoX & Track

I have an older set of Performance Friction pads that were on the car when I bought it, and EBC is sending me a set of Blue Stuff's to try as well... I will see how the blue's feel vs. the yellows in cooler conditions, and decide from there.

The brake dust seems to be a bit more than the PF pads were, but NOTHING like I've had some hawk pads, and what (if I recall correctly) the green stuffs were like.. Also remember that depending how 'open' or 'closed' of a wheel you have can make the dusting worse, or not so bad.. fno1r-c hot version, 17x9's here...

The noise is non-existent... not when cold, nor warm, nor 'distorted air' hot... If anyone has noise with these pads, I would be willing to bet it is an issue with installation... use a quality high temp anti-sieze (lube) on the sliding parts of the pads, and where the top retainer piece hits the pads, and I even went as far as between the pad and the shim, and the shim to the caliper pistons... but not a peep, under any conditions...

Hope that information helps, I've used plenty of different pads as well, on a slew of different vehicle types/weights.. Very pleased with these, and think the blue's MAY be even better, in which case I'll keep yellows for track days, and blues 'everyday'.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The Project Mu pads I had before switching to the PFs went up in smoke. Literally.
My PF-Z pads did not work as well on my evo as the yellow stuff's... seemed strange to me, as I've heard great things about them. (the evo had AMS's stage 1 brake kit installed w/ paperwork by a prior owner)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah I think wasn't even looking into the greens & reds at all...Maybe the yellows...How is the dust with the ULTs compared to stock? Glad there is no noise...I am assuming if the yellows are a track pad they may have some noise & a bit more dust?? Thanks!
About the same from the ULTs to OEM dust-wise.

Nope, no noise and not a lot of dust on the Yellows (and I have white rims).
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
My PF-Z pads did not work as well on my evo as the yellow stuff's... seemed strange to me, as I've heard great things about them. (the evo had AMS's stage 1 brake kit installed w/ paperwork by a prior owner)
Two conditions are likely: the Yellows may be better pads, and your expectations may be higher than mine.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, the EVO is my daily driver year round currently.

Yes, I am using the EBC Yellow Stuff's front and rear, all purpose DD, autoX & Track

I have an older set of Performance Friction pads that were on the car when I bought it, and EBC is sending me a set of Blue Stuff's to try as well... I will see how the blue's feel vs. the yellows in cooler conditions, and decide from there.

The brake dust seems to be a bit more than the PF pads were, but NOTHING like I've had some hawk pads, and what (if I recall correctly) the green stuffs were like.. Also remember that depending how 'open' or 'closed' of a wheel you have can make the dusting worse, or not so bad.. fno1r-c hot version, 17x9's here...

The noise is non-existent... not when cold, nor warm, nor 'distorted air' hot... If anyone has noise with these pads, I would be willing to bet it is an issue with installation... use a quality high temp anti-sieze (lube) on the sliding parts of the pads, and where the top retainer piece hits the pads, and I even went as far as between the pad and the shim, and the shim to the caliper pistons... but not a peep, under any conditions...

Hope that information helps, I've used plenty of different pads as well, on a slew of different vehicle types/weights.. Very pleased with these, and think the blue's MAY be even better, in which case I'll keep yellows for track days, and blues 'everyday'.
Awesome...I appreciate your input...Looking forward to your testing of the blues...How much longer do you think it will be till you start to test them?? I don't know if ill be able to wait that long but well see...haha...I went over to EBC's website & read up a bunch on the yellow & blue pads...they both sound pretty damn good...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
About the same from the ULTs to OEM dust-wise.

Nope, no noise and not a lot of dust on the Yellows (and I have white rims).
Awesome...I am almost thinking about doing ULTs all around & then buy an extra set of yellows for the front for the track...or maybe mix match & yellows for the front & ULTs in the rear....once again appreciate your input...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome...I am almost thinking about doing ULTs all around & then buy an extra set of yellows for the front for the track...or maybe mix match & yellows for the front & ULTs in the rear....once again appreciate your input...

And you can do the Yellow fronts and ULT rears.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Two conditions are likely: the Yellows may be better pads, and your expectations may be higher than mine.
I guess both are possible, I came from racing 15-1700# cars and the 'stop' that went with a car that light... I EXPECT a TON from my brakes.. but a full fluid bleed and all new yellows, made the car magnificent...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome...I appreciate your input...Looking forward to your testing of the blues...How much longer do you think it will be till you start to test them?? I don't know if ill be able to wait that long but well see...haha...I went over to EBC's website & read up a bunch on the yellow & blue pads...they both sound pretty damn good...
Tracking # shows blues are due here next week, and I do not have an autoX event that weekend, so I'll definitely bed them in, and do some spirited driving on them likely by weeks end, and I can share my thoughts/comparisons then, at least on their use for dd, I expect them to be: better for dd/street driving, comparable for autoX, and to under perform the Yellows for track days...

Smike care to chime in?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Tracking # shows blues are due here next week, and I do not have an autoX event that weekend, so I'll definitely bed them in, and do some spirited driving on them likely by weeks end, and I can share my thoughts/comparisons then, at least on their use for dd, I expect them to be: better for dd/street driving, comparable for autoX, and to under perform the Yellows for track days...

Smike care to chime in?
Interesting...when I was reading on their website it sounded like the blues would be better for the track then the yellows...I guess I read it wrong...looking forward to ur test results...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

I'll have to review as well, I thought the yellow's were a higher bite at a higher heat range (typical of track pads) and the blues were more even throughout temperature ranges (great for dd/street use, and both would work well for autoX)
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have a bunch of good info so far but anyone else have anymore input, suggestions, pros, cons, advice, etc???

Quick Reply: Need some brake parts advice/feedback...rotors, pads, ss lines, fluids!!