Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need some brake parts advice/feedback...rotors, pads, ss lines, fluids!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Need some brake parts advice/feedback...rotors, pads, ss lines, fluids!!

What's going on guys? Well, its finally time for some new brakes, 53k miles on my car & all original. So I sat down today for a couple hrs & read through the The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread, the the end all brake and suspension thread & did a bunch of searching. Those threads & searching gave me some good info & helped me narrow down my choices but I still need some help.

Car info...My car is my DD but I am looking to pick up something else to drive hopefully soon. I used to do a lot of autox but got out of it for a while, now that I moved back to NJ I will be looking back into since Etown isn't far from me. I go to the 1/4 mile a decent amount now a days. I plan to begin attending some HPDE events now that I am back up north. I want to save some rotational weight on each corner so that is why I am looking into 2 piece rotors. For pads, I want to try & cut back on brake dust, also little to no noise would be nice. Price...looking to spend between $1500-$2k at most! For everything & I will be installing it. I would like a pad that grips good on the street & at an autox event and if I wanted to attend an HPDE event I could use them without swapping out pads. For Autox I use V710 R comps too.

Power #s...FP Red setup & car will probably just run the 93 oct. tune for an HPDE or autox event...after the retune I should be around 430ishwhp & 380ishwtq...

Rotors (2 piece)
Girodisc (read there were some issues with brake pads rubbing on hats)?
Baer (discontinued but some vendors still have some left)?
Racing Brake (haven't heard a lot about them...)?
Any other suggestions?!?!!?

Pads
GS5?
GS6?
DS2500?
R4-S?
Axxis Ultimates?
Any other suggestions?!?!

Fluid
Amsoil Series 600 DOT 4
or
ATE Super Blue Racing

SS Lines
Techna-Fit

Obviously I have pretty much made my mind up on the Fluid & SS Lines. But still not sure on the rotors & pads. Any input/feedback, pros/cons would be much appreciated!! I'm sure most people would still highly suggest swapping AT LEAST front pads at the track. I am kinda willing to do that, So what would be some good suggestions for a street pad & track pad??? Thanks!!!!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:37 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, contact STM for Baer rotors.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors: Performance Friction 2piece - you didn't list them but they are there and they're good.
Pads: are covered for anyone's needs in the topic you already read (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html)
Fluid & SS Lines: you got it covered
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:12 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just buy a completed brake package from on of the vendors. A budget like yours is good enough for a race-prep package. I really like the Racing Brake 2 piece rotor package. Pads will be the most important, so spend more there, and buy wisely if you choose to buy parts individually. The pads you mentioned is great for dd and autox, but not for road racing....just saying.

Last edited by chu; Jun 10, 2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out the EBC Yellows and Blues. They can be driven on the street (some slowness in response/eat rotors?). And are track pads. EBC recommends the Blues for the Evo.

Otherwise, you should be running at least different front pads at the track. Just swapping those in and out before the event.

My recommendations:

RB 2pc rotors
Amsoil DOT4
Techna-Fit SS Lines

Front Pads Street:
Axxis ULTs

Front Pads Race (for r-comps/high hp):
Hawk DTC60: 400-1600F, high torque
Hawk DTC70: 400-1600F, higher torque than 60's
Racing Brake ET900: 300-1600F, high torque
Performance Friction 01: 167-2000F, high torque
Carbotech XP12: 250 to 2000F, high torque
Raybestos ST43: ? to 1400F, high torque

OR

EBC Blues (lots of sets out right now being tested by Evo owners...)

Rear Pads:
Axxis ULTs

---
Or try the EBC Yellows/Blues on all 4 corners. Downside is they might eat rotors with lots of street use. I am testing that right now. So far 1000 miles on my car. Not seeing that much wear, watching closely.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBC Yellow's on my evo for about 2500+ miles so far, no noticable rotor wear at this moment... includes about 6 autoX days, and this coming Tuesday will be my first track day @ Mid Ohio with them.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:15 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
EBC Yellow's on my evo for about 2500+ miles so far, no noticable rotor wear at this moment... includes about 6 autoX days, and this coming Tuesday will be my first track day @ Mid Ohio with them.
How are the Yellows on the street on your Evo?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Initial bite when cold is acceptable, but once a bit of heat get into the pads... their initial bite is great, and it is a solid pad I feel for track & autoX... maybe not so much for just daily driving... I'll likely swap out pads for winter driving...

Once I make two decent stops, end of our road (about 40mph-0) and end of the following road (maybe 1/2 mile.. 50mph-0) the pads seem to be great.

For AutoX, I drag the brakes from grid spot to the line for the first run, and that seems to work well, and they maintain their heat for the rest of the runs.

Hope that helps FJF?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Helps a lot. Thank you.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty happy with Girodisc 2-piece slotted rotors front and rears (high quality, weight savings, very minor modifications needed to brake pads in rear only), Techna-Fit SS brake lines (nicely coated and very reasonably priced) and Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

Not so for the currently installed Ferodo DS2500 (they just can't survive the heat well enough), thinking about getting RB ET800 or CL RC6 for the next set. Also consider brake cooling ducts. Also nice and not too pricey is MBC stopper.

Last edited by vd; Jun 10, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey SmikeEvo, are you going to start a thread on the bluestuff EBCs? I am really interested in them and what rotors best compliment them, as I know some rotors get eaten faster than others. I also hear they don't plaster dust on the wheels that much either. any truth to this?

If anyone runs DBA 5000/4000 rotors with the EBC bluestuff pads, I would be extremely interested in hearing from you.

Sorry 06, didn't mean to hijack.

Edit: or maybe it was Pagid blues that weren't bad on dust.

Last edited by Mojo Rising; Jun 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
FWIW, contact STM for Baer rotors.
Yeah...I may end up giving emery a call...

Originally Posted by Toxin
Rotors: Performance Friction 2piece - you didn't list them but they are there and they're good.
Pads: are covered for anyone's needs in the topic you already read (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html)
Fluid & SS Lines: you got it covered
I've heard about performance friction rotors but haven't read much at all on them...do you have any links?

Originally Posted by chu
Why not just buy a completed brake package from on of the vendors. A budget like yours is good enough for a race-prep package. I really like the Racing Brake 2 piece rotor package. Pads will be the most important, so spend more there, and buy wisely if you choose to buy parts individually. The pads you mentioned is great for dd and autox, but not for road racing....just saying.
So thats a vote for racing brake rotors...Yeah I think I have decided to at least change the front pads when/if I do a track day event...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Check out the EBC Yellows and Blues. They can be driven on the street (some slowness in response/eat rotors?). And are track pads. EBC recommends the Blues for the Evo.

Otherwise, you should be running at least different front pads at the track. Just swapping those in and out before the event.

My recommendations:

RB 2pc rotors
Amsoil DOT4
Techna-Fit SS Lines

Front Pads Street:
Axxis ULTs

Front Pads Race (for r-comps/high hp):
Hawk DTC60: 400-1600F, high torque
Hawk DTC70: 400-1600F, higher torque than 60's
Racing Brake ET900: 300-1600F, high torque
Performance Friction 01: 167-2000F, high torque
Carbotech XP12: 250 to 2000F, high torque
Raybestos ST43: ? to 1400F, high torque

OR

EBC Blues (lots of sets out right now being tested by Evo owners...)

Rear Pads:
Axxis ULTs

---
Or try the EBC Yellows/Blues on all 4 corners. Downside is they might eat rotors with lots of street use. I am testing that right now. So far 1000 miles on my car. Not seeing that much wear, watching closely.

I was waiting for you to jump in the thread...haha...I have always been interested in trying out some EBC's but haven't been able to find good info on them...I do see that you are testing them now...I've seen you are pretty happy with the Axxis ULTs...brake dust...noise?? So are EBC yellows more of a street/autox pad & won't eat rotors as much & EBC Blues are more of a track pad that can be used on the street but may eat rotors?? Thanks for your input...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Initial bite when cold is acceptable, but once a bit of heat get into the pads... their initial bite is great, and it is a solid pad I feel for track & autoX... maybe not so much for just daily driving... I'll likely swap out pads for winter driving...

Once I make two decent stops, end of our road (about 40mph-0) and end of the following road (maybe 1/2 mile.. 50mph-0) the pads seem to be great.

For AutoX, I drag the brakes from grid spot to the line for the first run, and that seems to work well, and they maintain their heat for the rest of the runs.

Hope that helps FJF?

Is your evo your DD? So your using the yellows on the street & for autox & you will be using them at the track event? So maybe for warmer spring/summer/fall months the yellows are alright but you will swap them out during the winter?? How is the brake dust with the yellows & the noise??
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I was waiting for you to jump in the thread...haha...I have always been interested in trying out some EBC's but haven't been able to find good info on them...I do see that you are testing them now...I've seen you are pretty happy with the Axxis ULTs...brake dust...noise?? So are EBC yellows more of a street/autox pad & won't eat rotors as much & EBC Blues are more of a track pad that can be used on the street but may eat rotors?? Thanks for your input...

EBC Green and Reds are the street/AX pads. EBC Yellows are track pads. Blues are the enduro pads. I think Bassicfun has a set of Blues for testing now too.

Axxis ULTs do create some dust. But never had noise on mine or the other cars that have them (Galant GTS, Lancer GTS, and Suzuki SX4). ULTs are not track pads though for the front rotors.

Quick Reply: Need some brake parts advice/feedback...rotors, pads, ss lines, fluids!!