Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Looking for input from Evo members with significant setup experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2 cents is behind gtworx, and dbsears what they say sounds familiar, and coilovers. As tight and as short as that track is I don't see much problem with lots of front camber. The front bar is too much work. I'm backed off a lot of camber with my whitline/and the PSS.
You might try the mid corner lift for a little more get around.

But then again I'm no ball of fire through 3a and 3b, which must be what that track is like.
I run the dtc 70 and love em but I love anything that doesn't leave transfer.

happy to hear you are making a run at that course.

Last edited by nothere; Jun 14, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nothere
my 2 cents is behind gtworx, and dbsears what they say sounds familiar, and coilovers. As tight and as short as that track is I don't see much problem with lots of front camber. The front bar is too much work. I'm backed off a lot of camber with my whitline/and the PSS.
You might try the mid corner lift for a little more get around.

But then again I'm no ball of fire through 3a and 3b, which must be what that track is like.
I run the dtc 70 and love em but I love anything that doesn't leave transfer.

happy to hear you are making a run at that course.
Thanks for the input. I've been more than convinced that coilovers are going to be necessary for this endeavor. I figured going out on the big track would be a big leap for me... If I run the PGP track combined with some auto-x experience will definitely help get my feet wet. I also plan to get out in his Aprilla kart and do some laps Bob Bundy (miata owner extraordinaire) a co-worker of mine is hoping to come out and do some laps in his car and give some pointers. Should be a riot!

Time to keep reading RCVD. Hopefully I can pick up that set of Skunk2 pro-c's Thank you all for your help...especially the NW guys

Last edited by R/TErnie; Jul 13, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've run at PGP in both the wet and dry and know pretty much all the top autoX guys in the northwest and can ball park most of their times. Obviously you have the power and weight to more then compete with the top runners. AutoX and PGP lapping days will help the skills develop and you will know the car better each time you go out.

For suspension... looks like you are already on the right track. I've got a pretty decent suspension/brakes that you can checkout if you want. NT01s, custom valved Ohlins DFVs, big camber, RCK, bushings, ST43 pads, brake cooling ducts, etc... Hit me up and I can go out with you guys for a PGP lapping day. I know dbsears keeps itching to get out too, so we can make it an Evo day
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Maybe so, but I'm not entirely convinced you have a complete understanding of the vehicle dynamics based on a few of your comments.
Like I said, it will make your brain hurt. Its backwards from what you think.

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
A bigger rear bar increases front grip. It allows more weight to transfer at the rear of the car, and thus less at the front of the car (for a given corner, for given car, at a given speed, etc. total weight transfer is the same). So a more even loading on the front tires as less weight has transferred to the outside tire. More evenly loaded tires = more grip. 1 tire with 1000 lbs of force on it does not provide as much grip as 2 tires, 1 with 700 lbs and 1 with 300 lbs.

The same is true flipped for a front bar, it increases rear grip the same way. However, due to the limited body roll it also provides, less dynamic camber loss/gain is a good thing and could provide you with more front grip and/or more overall grip. This plus the better turn in from less roll up front makes people happier with the car. Too big up front though and the front has transferred too much weight and the outside tire just can't deal with it and you understeer.

- Andrew
R/T - See, I am not crazy.

Last edited by Smike; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Smike what you said...

Originally Posted by SMikevo
Too big of a RSB will increase front traction. Sound confusing? Well, its forcing the front tires to plant more. More planted - more traction, more understeer in the Evo. Now, add a FSB and you increase the rear lateral traction and a need thing grip - you will get more out of the both tires in a turn. "
I think what you miss is that by moving the grip foward you reduce grip in the rear... You're changing the balance of the car by reducing rear grip. If you gained grip in the front...where did it come from? You cannot create nor destroy energy... its simply transferred.

as gtworkx said himself,

Originally Posted by GTWORX
More evenly loaded tires = more grip. 1 tire with 1000 lbs of force on it does not provide as much grip as 2 tires, 1 with 700 lbs and 1 with 300 lbs.
You're transferring load from two rear tires to 1 rear tire... which doesn't provide as much grip. Therefore you reduced your rear grip in order to achieve vehicle balance.

Just to clarify... I am by no means knowledgeable about suspension... I'm attempting to understand the dynamics of it. Maybe this isn't the place for that, but I'll give it a shot. Please don't be discouraged by my unwillingness to shake my head violently and say yes yes yes!

Last edited by R/TErnie; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a wise man once told me, "have light hands, trade braking for steering wheel input" take that for what its worth. I was confused at first but that is the best advice i have ever gotten... This advice mite only be specific to my suspension setup since it is so advanced.... But take the advice in this thread, Smike seems to always know what he's talking about so listen at your discresion
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
I've run at PGP in both the wet and dry and know pretty much all the top autoX guys in the northwest and can ball park most of their times. Obviously you have the power and weight to more then compete with the top runners. AutoX and PGP lapping days will help the skills develop and you will know the car better each time you go out.

For suspension... looks like you are already on the right track. I've got a pretty decent suspension/brakes that you can checkout if you want. NT01s, custom valved Ohlins DFVs, big camber, RCK, bushings, ST43 pads, brake cooling ducts, etc... Hit me up and I can go out with you guys for a PGP lapping day. I know dbsears keeps itching to get out too, so we can make it an Evo day
I'm hoping to head out there not this coming week, but the week after...

Wednesday the 30th of June there is a lapping event in the afternoon 5:-8:30 or so
AND
Wednesday the 7th of July there is a full lapping day.

I think I'd be wise to run both events... lmk if you guys are down. It'd be great to have someone there to show me the ropes!

Last edited by R/TErnie; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Just to clarify... I am by no means knowledgeable about suspension... I'm attempting to understand the dynamics of it. Maybe this isn't the place for that, but I'll give it a shot. Please don't be discouraged by my unwillingness to shake my head violently and say yes yes yes!
Nah, I understand. Hey, what I post here is free to use or not to. I am actually happy to see someone getting into the craziness of brakes, tires, and suspensions.

And no, as I read it, we say the same thing. What I mean by more planted is more even application. And by giving the front too much grip, you will make it handle a FWD car (not literal, but for effect)

Bottom line - car is out of whack.

If you wanted to keep it generally the same (parts wise), I would add the FSB or lower/return to stock/smaller RSB.

Really want to win - revamp the whole system. Proper coil-overs. R-comps -- soup to nuts.

Are there classes to this series? I have always found that there is always someone with more money, more R/D, more time in racing. Just how this sport works (and I hope to have all 3 of those too ).

Last edited by Smike; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
No, as I read it, we say the same thing. What I mean by more planted is more even application. And by giving the front too much grip, you will make it handle a FWD car (not literal, but for effect)
Got it.
Bottom line - car is out of whack.
True... you're the third person to tell me that + my experience!
If you wanted to keep it generally the same (parts wise), I would add the FSB or lower/return to stock/smaller RSB.
meh
Really want to win - revamp the whole system. Proper coil-overs. R-comps -- soup to nuts.
soup to nuts... that's a new one. I like it.
Are there classes to this series? I have always found that there is always someone with more money, more R/D, more time in racing. Just how this sport works (and I hope to have all 3 of those too ).
There are three classes....FWD, AWD, and RWD. :P

"have light hands, trade braking for steering wheel input"
Thank you I'll definitely remember that.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

There are three classes....FWD, AWD, and RWD. :P
Sounds like the classes they had out here for the AX (non-SCCA).

Looking forward to the new build here. Do post with what you go with!

Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I think I posted it a few posts back,

I picked up a set of Hoosier 285/30/18 R6's
Hawk DTC 60 pads for the front
ATE Super blue fluid
new valve cover gasket
and I'm hoping for those Skunk2 Monotube Coilovers. should know by tomorrow.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

I think I posted it a few posts back,

I picked up a set of Hoosier 285/30/18 R6's
Hawk DTC 60 pads for the front
ATE Super blue fluid
new valve cover gasket
and I'm hoping for those Skunk2 Monotube Coilovers. should know by tomorrow.
Nice.

Did you blow the gasket? I cracked my valve cover after a track day with my Evo. otter and I were noticed an oil leak, thought it was the gasket. But there was a hair-line crack across the backside. (Its now a very expensive wall clock).

So, while its off, look closely for cracks.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I redid the PCV setup and used a Peterson catch can that I had left over from a Dry Sump system I setup for a friend...

The catch can wasn't meant to be used as I used it and it ended up essentially capping the valve cover. It pushed the valve cover gasket out right above the exhaust cam gear half moon... and the cam gear wiped it away. I started smoking on my qualifying lap... pulled in and there was oil everywhere including in my timing belt cover. I pulled the vc and found the 1.5" of missing gasket. I took a piece of rubber hose cut it a few times and then RTV'd it in place. The fixed worked great and I got it done in time for my co-driver to make his first timed session. During the ordeal Scott missed his qualifying and I missed my first timed session.

I ended up pulling the AN lines off and running them into some rags (to not oil down the track) Time for catchcan setup v2

Of course I didn't see any issues with the setup while putting 300 miles on the car and street tuning it before the event...had to break RIGHT then.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Good save!

Of course I didn't see any issues with the setup while putting 300 miles on the car and street tuning it before the event...had to break RIGHT then.
Welcome to racing.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Read your post last night but delayed commenting because I wasn't sure if coilovers were allowed for your race. Chances are pretty good that your terminal understeer is due to the outside front suspension bottoming out. If coilovers are allowed, then don't waste your time with springs or sway bars. Coilovers will return far more on your investment. Suggest you talk to GTWorx about their new budget coilover. Bushings are helpful too. Preload, damping, alignment, and tire pressure are all good tools to tune response.

Quick Reply: Looking for input from Evo members with significant setup experience