Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Looking for input from Evo members with significant setup experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For the price I paid... I can easily buy another set of springs and still be way ahead of the game still waiting to hear, I didn't get a call back from you last night Andrew. I called GTworx and the guy said he would call me back.

Called TRE at 7AM, 8AM, 9AM, and 10AM.... sent another email just in case. JON ANSWERED! he was out of the office all last week. I'm to box up my diff and get it out to him asap. Went with the 1.5 way diff w/ the sight glass.

Russell from Mitsubishi parts called me back too! Got the valve cover gasket on the way.

Spoke with a Hoosier rep about the R6's on this track as well as setup suggestions. Quite helpful.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Jun 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Got the FLCA bushings and the rear trailing arm bushings from whiteline while I have the F&R CA's off the car.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Jul 13, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ I'm trying really hard not to comment on the whole NDA thing....

I'm at home til Friday.....Myles is "the Subaru guy" and takes calls 24/7.

Email or PM work well, but we can chat Friday if you like when I come in the office.

- Andrew
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
For the price I paid... I can easily buy another set of springs and still be way ahead of the game still waiting to hear, I didn't get a call back from you last night Andrew. I called GTworx and the guy said he would call me back.

Called TRE at 7AM, 8AM, 9AM, and 10AM.... sent another email just in case. JON ANSWERED! he was out of the office all last week. I'm to box up my diff and get it out to him asap. Went with the 1.5 way diff w/ the sight glass.

Russell from Mitsubishi parts called me back too! Got the valve cover gasket on the way.

Spoke with a Hoosier rep about the R6's on this track as well as setup suggestions. Quite helpful.
DAMN! Your are a busy man...car is going from mild to wild in like a day.

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Well I called Muellerized and I cannot be told what the spring rates were by the previous owner because he signed an NDA with Mueller. Additionally they want me to sign an NDA in order to tell me... I'd rather just put the spring on our MDS machine at the VRI and find out myself... but I'll play along.

Got the FLCA bushings and the rear trailing arm bushings from whiteline while I have the F&R CA's off the car.
The whole NDA thing is quite a crock of BS in my opinion. Robi posts his rates, my custom CBRD Ohlins I know my rates, guys I've talked too with custom Motons know there rates. Maybe speaking of valving secrets require an NDA but really that is stupid just too find out springrates. Sounds like you are getting some nice coils though. With R6's and the PGP track I sure hope that they are atleast 10k+ rates.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
DAMN! Your are a busy man...car is going from mild to wild in like a day.
Things always take twice as long and cost twice as much. If I need to get my car together and sorted by the 7th of July... I need to be on the ball Car goes up on jackstands tonight...I guess its time to take the girlfriend to dinner in the Evo

The whole NDA thing is quite a crock of BS in my opinion. Robi posts his rates, my custom CBRD Ohlins I know my rates, guys I've talked too with custom Motons know there rates. Maybe speaking of valving secrets require an NDA but really that is stupid just too find out springrates. Sounds like you are getting some nice coils though. With R6's and the PGP track I sure hope that they are atleast 10k+ rates.
I plan on just figuring out what the spring rates are myself...it's like basic basic physics! That way I can tell Nucci what my spring rates are and receive some good feedback. Matt is a great resource and a friend....he's passionate about suspension like I am about engines, so we work well together and I trust and respect his opinion. Claude Rouelle (Optimum G) was quite impressed with Matt's understanding and they had a nice few hour chat about suspension. Claude's a funny guy. He told me a great joke once...

Do you know why Helen Keller couldn't drive?
because she was a woman.

I've been welding...its time for steak.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Btw found out the stock Skunk2 rates are 12kF and 10kR. Looking at that picture it looks like he left the rear springs alone and changed the front possibly. If I had to gander a guess seeing as the front springs look a tad smaller in diameter I would say maybe 9kF and 10kR?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

They could have moved the front to the back as well.

- andrew
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

IDK what the spring rates are yet, I'll have to measure them on the MDS press at school.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
typically the evos run rearwards splits in race trim (aka stiffer rear rates) but almost NO coilovers are supplied that way from the JDM brands.

for instance, our TA car is on 900/1150's

cb
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Bet that thing rides like a caddy on the streets huh Chad
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input Chad!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
Bet that thing rides like a caddy on the streets huh Chad
its suprisingly supple, its amazing what a damper can do,

I tend to run the street/weekend track cars in the 550-750 range

cb
Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CBRD
typically the evos run rearwards splits in race trim (aka stiffer rear rates) but almost NO coilovers are supplied that way from the JDM brands.

for instance, our TA car is on 900/1150's

cb
AWESOME that Chad doesn't even flinch at releasing the rates on his competition car....no retinal scan and DNA sample required to gain access......just hey, here's our rates, we know they're good and we don't need to hide it.

Word.

- Andrew
Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Because Chad is the man....now hurry and finish that BBK XL so I can has one for ma car
Old Jun 18, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Got the pads, fluid, and valve cover gasket. Hoosiers should be here today

Coilovers, trailing arm, and FLCA bushings will be in early next week.

After reading more RCVD... I've been thinking about the pre-track setup.

- I'm going remove parts for race weight and sit in car to corner balance it. (I should drop the swap bars, but I'll leave them attached for this)

- Get the car aligned with my track settings. Using the camber plates I will mark and measure the amount I need to increase camber a half a degree to a full degree. So that when I'm testing I can make adjustments on the fly and know what specs I'll be at by adding neg camber.

I think what I'll end up doing is this...
FRONT CAMBER -4 degrees
FRONT TOE 1/8" OUT
REAR CAMBER -2 degrees
REAR TOE 0

I'll take my mounted Hoosiers on the 18's and drive out to a nice big parking lot (maybe at work!?!?!) and set up a skidpad. I have an easily setup timing system to determine lap times. From that i can determine my cornering g's... also bring out the tire probe and measure the spread of tire temps.

Here I'll be able to make some steady state corning adjustments to balance the car out pretty well and learn how the car reacts to more/less camber and bar settings.

Quick Reply: Looking for input from Evo members with significant setup experience