Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stance Coilovers...getting a squeak...grrr!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stance Coilovers...getting a squeak...grrr!

Okay first off, I did find a few threads regarding squeaking coilovers but had some other questions, especially regarding these. No one really mentioned stance coilovers in these threads.

So back in February i bought a set of used coilovers off of a evom member and so far these coilovers are pretty sweet. I do like them. There Stance GR+ with swift springs, I forget the spring rate (I Pm'd to find out) i know there a higher spring rate.

Anywho, the past month or so I keep getting this squeaking sound, the best way to describe it is, if u hit a bump it sounds like a baby chick chirping once. Sooooo Annoying. Now I do understand with a track style coilover I know im gonna get noise, but this is annoying and doesnt do it when its cold outside, only when ive been driving around alot or when its warm/hot.

What are some ways to determine where this sound it coming from. Someone suggested it could be my whiteline sway bar...mmmm not sure if thats accurate. Now I dunno if this is just my imagination but I put WD40 on the rear coilover mounts and my suspension doesnt seem as tight...does WD40 mess anything up, I was advised it doesnt.

Also on a side question since were talking about these coilovers...
the roads here in my city are kinda rough and these coilovers are getting a little brutal from street use. How do I fix this?
1. lower the spring rate? What disadvantages would t his cause me?
2. Would KWs give me what these do but better on my style of roads and would the squeaking stop lol.

Thanks for reading my long thread, sorry for writing lots but this is driving me nuts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

The springs are 10k front and 11k rear.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Bump pls help
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call Stance and let them know what the problem your having is. http://stance-usa.com/sus/

do you know how much use the coilovers had before you purchased them? sounds like the springs are a little stiff for daily driving. do you track your car? also try softening the dampening.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Squeeking can be various different things. My Ohlins even squeek every now and then too, mainly because I loosened my preload up. So KW3's aren't going to fix your problems and neither will lower springrates. If your Stance's have separate preload and height adjustments which I believe they do then check your preload. If it's too loose then the spring might my moving around a tad over bumps. You want the preload loose enough where it is tight but you can still twist the spring when uncompressed. Their should be no play. If it continues to squeek stick a small dab of white lithium grease on the upper and bottom perches where the spring turns. This can collect dust so you will have to clean them every now and then but I would be 95% sure this is your problem.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

^^ thanks
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing spring rates won't really do much...

doesn't hurt to lube moving parts every once in a while.
Might eliminate the noise. Try using something like Teflon spray over WD40
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

for comfort, changing spring rates wont matter?? really??